Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
[Feature]: Security Pouch And Powercell Changes
Replaces the security starter kit box with a Security Pouch that spawns in your pocket. Sec officers and the HoS get one. They work exactly the same way that the pouches nukeops get, they sit in your pocket and hold small objects, they have six slots and can hold small stuff, like flashes, cuffs and donuts. It comes packaged with a whistle, flash, two pairs of cuffs and two 100PU powercells.

Instead of getting one medium powercell(one that has 200PU), officers/the HoS gets two 100PU cells. I think this is more fun, as instead of just upgrading your taser to 200PU at roundstart and sorta forgetting about it, you have to focus more on reloading your taser and be more charge-conscious when playing. It gives players the same total amount of energy that they get now, but they have to actively utilize it and make time to reload during fights instead of having it as a passive taser upgrade. (The pouch itself should also help encourage this, as it's a much more available place for it than in a box in a bag). The extra storage for the jobs that are the Most Pressed For Storage is also nice and I think compensates for the cell nicely.

Also, lowers the powercell that the basic batons get to only have 100PU, but halves the cost of using batons. This is so you can't cheat the above paragraph by loading your taser with a baton cell!! And doesn't impact batons in a negative way (you still get the same number of baton whacks in as you normally would).

Compare link: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...rity-pouch

DMI: 
.dmi   storage.dmi (Size: 370 bytes / Downloads: 1) with sprite to be added to icons/obj/storage

EDIT: Made the pouch have three powercells instead of two. You get more shots total, but have to more actively use them.
Could we have a medical version of this by any chance? Maybe as a MedDir locker/spawn item?
Department-specific pouches would be wonderful - I figure they'd be limited to small/tiny department-specific items, yes?

Though all I can think of is Medbay pouches, since they're really the only other ones to deal with large amounts of small items - bottles and pill bottles and medicine beakers and syringes and stuff.

Regardless of any of that though, this is a massive QoL change. Good patch!
For security officers, removing their 200PU cell would be a horrible nerf. Here me out, okay? As a secoff, theres been plenty of times where I've faced opponents who also had tasers, and in those moments, theres no time to swap hands, open the pouch, take out a cell, click on the taser, and swap hands again, all while taking fire, especially if they got me by surprise. If I didn't have a 200PU cell taser, I would have died many many times in these situations, as often, both of us were a single shot from being downed and losing the fight. This, coupled with the fact security is often grievously understaffed, would result in security losing the tiny upper hand it has against antags, as having more shots than someone who just stole a taser from the rack is the only thing thats stopped me dying as the lone secoff on multiple occasions. I'd love to see the pouch added, however, even though I've never really struggled with storage myself, it would be nice to be able to hold some flashbangs or extra cuffs, without sacrificing space in my belt. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
Having the 200u cell isn't essential, and removing it isn't a horrible nerf; I didn't even know that it was technically a better cell, and have never once used it. I handle antagonists just fine as security; don't miss, have a buddy, and ditch a fight if it looks like you're not gonna win.
Security officers are already one of the most frustrating jobs, we do not need more reasons not to pick it. EU timezone, for one, has literally ZERO secoffs thru the day.
Changing the power cells seems like it'll make people less enthusiastic to play security, even if the pouch is a nice addition its still more inventory to fiddle and more clicks to go through for the same stuff. There was nothing wrong with the power cells as is, there was no actual complaint anywhere about the 200 pu cell that I'm aware of. This is a change for change's sake and it seems like it'll make folk less likely to play a role that is already underplayed.
I guess I forgot to add a comment as the power cell changes since I didnt give them read through properly

Alot of things were said on Discord but all in all I think it's a bit of an out of place change that seems to negatively impact Sec gameplay despite there being alot more problems in different parts of the game that I'd consider way more serious.
I like the change plenty. It being something you have to keep in mind instead of swap-and-forget is good gameplay.

(03-21-2020, 09:09 AM)Leeanei Wrote: This is a change for change's sake and it seems like it'll make folk less likely to play a role that is already underplayed.

It is not. Consider in the OP:

(03-20-2020, 08:20 PM)Flaborized Wrote: I think this is more fun, as instead of just upgrading your taser to 200PU at roundstart and sorta forgetting about it, you have to focus more on reloading your taser and be more charge-conscious when playing.
After a discussion in the discord, I think that this should accompany a change to energy-based-weapon reloading to make it a bit more in line with how detectives can load their gun by clicking it on the ammo
This would clearly be a nerf to quick and intensive firefights, since people would have to fumble around with reloading (which already happens with the det gun).

I'd support this on the condition that a falloff nerf is also implemented, since I think tasers are kind of broken in their current condition.
I think this is a MUCH needed change.
(03-21-2020, 09:53 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: After a discussion in the discord, I think that this should accompany a change to energy-based-weapon reloading to make it a bit more in line with how detectives can load their gun by clicking it on the ammo

I agree. I really like the changes to the baton and taser cells, but power cell swapping blows. The pouch would be a great addition.

Other job pouches:

Chef: Utensils and knives
Barman: cocktail doodads, shot glasses
Janitor: Sponges, bottles
i think if you're revamping the sec starter kit, it would be nice to include a forensic scanner in there too.

imo part of why its not used much is that it can be pretty limted on some maps, I think on oshan there arent even any in sec at roundstart!

they're so much easier to use than the PDA app too and maybe it'd encourage people to use them if it is part of the 'default' equipment?

i understand its limited to 6 slots but I wouldnt mind one less pair of cuffs (available in p much unlimited quantities) if it meant every officer could have a scanner
Something that wasn't said which I think is very important to remember is that some people regularly have high ping, for example, European players. A change like this would mean they've got to try and reload a taser while lagging, midfight, putting them at even more of a disadvantage. Again, the current system is forgiving enough that even with high ping, you can usually land enough shots to down them before running out of shots. This would definitely need a revamp of energy cell reloading if it was changed like this, to even the playing field a little.