Alexalmighty502's (pwnt39's) HOS application
Usual character name:
Nicolas Skyler Perkins 
BYOND username: Pwnt39
Discord username (if you are on our discord): 
Alexalmighty502#5534 (Alexalmighty502 (aka pwnt39))
Recommended by (if applicable):OMJ (he told me to apply about a month and a half ago to apply in a month.)
Goon servers you play: Goonstation (the non rp one)

Reason for application: I want people to understand that that playing security can be a fun and rewarding experience. Its common to see almost no one playing sec and those that do are regulars or newer players trying out the roll. As HOS I hope to be a fun and fair leader that adds to people’s experiences instead of being “shitsec” i.e. unfun assholes.

Security experience (300 word minimum):I won’t lie I don’t remember when I started playing this game. My earliest memories of this game were failure. The earliest memory was being a random event blob where I wasn’t even noticed due to me not understanding the roll and my other memory of rage quitting as a nukie due to me not understanding how to use a jetpack and not understanding internals.  While playing I’ve heard of many horror stories of poorly acting sec members. (perma jailing, lethal force and more) so I’ve tried my hardest to respect other people’s time and experiences in every role I play no matter if its security or captain or some more minor role (however I won’t lie this respect of time is lessened when I play antag). This meant fair punishments (The removal of contraband but returning of all items not including items that allows forced entry if their job does not call for the tools [Screwdriver, Muiltitool, Wirecutters, Insulated gloves and crowbars] and fair jailing times [4 mins or less]). As well as trying to prioritize nonlethal means of stopping antags and generally using lethals only to injure and slow high risk antags instead of outright killing them (pre nerf vamp, ling, murderboning traitor/spytheif and skilled wizards)

At the time of writing I have played in 776 games and I feel like I experienced and learned a lot in those rounds. Especially under the likes of OMJ, Knight Torun and the other Hos’S who play from time to time. I mainly focus on Captain, HoP, AI, Sec, Det and Med Doc so I’m used to leadership and support roles with strong knowledge security procedure and of medical items and processes with a decent understanding of chemicals, toxins (the chemical kind not explosives) and mechanics (and by that I mean repairing damaged flooring, walls and computers). However, my understanding of telesci, genetics, QM (the buying and selling element of it for profit) and engineering (the maintaining the engine part) are however very limited.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
Antags are what makes this game interesting and fun so you should avoid killing them outright if the situation doesn't require it. Just confiscate  their contraband (if applicable) and give them some jail time leave lethal means for only the most extreme crimes (destroying a large portion of the facility or killing a large amount of players)
Don’t forget about the barrier! When activated it reduces damage taken to a surprising degree and can knockdown suspects as well as its active ability that reflects all projectiles back to the person who fired it. It can even be used to reflect the ai turret(s) projectiles and can even be used to reflect the lethal bolts at the ai possibly killing it if it doesn’t drop its blast doors (of course make sure there are no other possibilities to unsubvert the ai and to make sure to reset it and repair it whenever possible after its killed.)
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
I have always wished there was a weapon/special attack/ammo type that fired a stun projectile that stunned people in a 2x2 square allowing for those with poor aim to more easily hit people in industrial armor + mechanical boots + treads as well as making it a bit easier for those people with poor ping as well. Maybe an ammo type for the riot launcher that is in limited quantities and must be reloaded after every shot? (due to its normal rounds being a very niche tool)
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
I’ve always enjoyed being the sec teams pet/mascot while I’ve only done this twice (once as a dog and once as a spider) I would always go around looking for crime and when I was a dog I always tried to act super tough even though I looked like a super cute dog (and was always perma stunned for a extended period of time due to the fact that dogs get stunned when you pet them and EVERYONE pet me (which of course I was completely fine with) and when I was the spider the HOS (I don’t remember which hos player it was) and the rest of the security team loaded 7 of my 8 hands with stun guns allowing me to fire a seemingly never ending stream of stun projectiles. (though I never used it on a antag if a remember correctly partially due to my slow speed and due to the fact I felt like it was too unfair and would be unfun to fight against)
  • Draw a picture!
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None that I know of (I did get the banned medal but it was not due to me actually getting banned but was given to me by a admin when I was playfully “showing off” the fact I didn’t have it)
I've seen you plenty of time and think you're fun to play with but I've always seen you play more Captain and Medical doctor than I have Security. Maybe it's just a coincidence thing but still, IDK. Call it a 0.5 approval I guess.
As Carb said, while you're a good secoff,  you tend to play a lot more captain and HoP, and how you behave as those roles is not exactly someone I'd trust with the beret. Mainly the use of confiscated traitor items, rushing treads at roundstart, and even aiding antags to the point of self antagging. A great example of this was when you stole the detectives gun and lethalled him as the HoP because he was attacking the "friendly" werewolf, who I'd witnessed eating and trying to kill the mine multiple times. However, I won't deny you're a very good security officer, so if you can prove that you've put that sort of shitty behaviour behind you, I'll gladly give this app a +1, but for now, this is a no from me.
(03-19-2020, 12:42 PM)Carbadox Wrote: I've seen you plenty of time and think you're fun to play with but I've always seen you play more Captain and Medical doctor than I have Security. Maybe it's just a coincidence thing but still, IDK. Call it a 0.5 approval I guess.

I agree with you lately ive focused more on captain due to me recently re-enabling some antag roles (vamp and ling i did have traitor on but people disliked how i played traitor cap (sleepy pen with sleep chems + spacing))

However I generally act as a HoS stand in when i do play captain and have had countless sec members treat me as "the boss" and ask me how to act against suspected antags, jail times and other sec related questions

(03-19-2020, 12:57 PM)Trustworthy Wrote: As Carb said, while you're a good secoff,  you tend to play a lot more captain and HoP, and how you behave as those roles is not exactly someone I'd trust with the beret. Mainly the use of confiscated traitor items, rushing treads at roundstart, and even aiding antags to the point of self antagging. A great example of this was when you stole the detectives gun and lethalled him as the HoP because he was attacking the "friendly" werewolf, who I'd witnessed eating and trying to kill the mine multiple times. However, I won't deny you're a very good security officer, so if you can prove that you've put that sort of shitty behaviour behind you, I'll gladly give this app a +1, but for now, this is a no from me.

Ah this round I hope its okay for me to explain why I acted that way during the round. I do agree with you that me stealing his gun at the very beginning was very much my bad and i did attempt return the gun a few minutes later (would've returned it even earlier but i kept confusing him for the chaplain stupidly enough) however when i did return the gun he immediately shot me with lethals and tried to run i once again stunned him and took the gun back and said that i would give it back if he gave me the remainder of his lethals which he didn't agree to and later made some deathchem and splashed it on me. After this i went after him with the intent to kill due to his aggressive behavior (i didn't attack him with lethals before this.)

i don't expect for you to change your opinion with this information because i was still in the wrong i just want you to know i only lethaled him after he attacked me multiple times
More than has the chops for it
So I've definitely seen you around, and you know your way around Security and stuff, but my issue is that I mostly see you playing detective instead of an actual officer. This coupled with what Carb and Trust have said are making me give this one a cautious no. You can definitely be HoS material, I just think you need to pull yourself in a little bit more and refine yourself some more. I will gladly give you a +1 if I see you doing these things and showing general improvement!
(03-19-2020, 02:46 PM)Drago156 Wrote: So I've definitely seen you around, and you know your way around Security and stuff, but my issue is that I mostly see you playing detective instead of an actual officer. This coupled with what Carb and Trust have said are making me give this one a cautious no. You can definitely be HoS material, I just think you need to pull yourself in a little bit more and refine yourself some more. I will gladly give you a +1 if I see you doing these things and showing general improvement!

Thank you for this information! I personally treat detective and sec the same but i fully understand where you are coming from I will make a better effort of playing sec more often in the near future!
Great player, would love to see him as a HoP(S) :p, fun to play with and agaisnt. +1
Nic Perkins is a good officer. Seen them from above as AI for a few rounds and they seem like they could be a good fit for HoS
I hadn't seen him play security officer much either when I first saw his post; mostly captain. But, he's played it a lot recently and done a good job. He knows how to act and is a robust player; I think he'd made a good HoS.