Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Training Swords
Hey there. Wanted to add a bit of spice to the gymnasium, and see a bit more usage out of the "katana-clashing" mechanic, and what better way to do that then introduce wooden swords, available for use by the general public? Figured it would add a bit of variety to the current "deathbox" meta and perhaps even promote a bit more interaction and tournament related shenanigans in the gym.

I've whipped up a few different sprites for it (check the spoilers), let me know which one you think is best and the idea itself. Could probably look at doing some protective gear too. Coding is completely out of the question for me, because I'm a big dummy.

[Image: 49YfRMZ.png] 

[Image: TIegks5.png] 

[Image: uyS2Fs8.png] 

[Image: CWq5UCA.png] 
yeah this is fucking sick
I would like to be able to make shitty weapons from like rods and a welder maybe? Don't really do any real damage but makes a hollow bonking sound when you hit someone and does everything else the weapon its made to be like does. Though having some random wood weapons in the gym would be neat.
I like this idea. I love doing admin rounds where I give everyone a sword in part for these types of fights. I think the sprites you made look pretty decent, but I'm not a sprite guy and I can't really tell which one of them is best. If you want constructive criticism, post them in the spriter channel in the goonstation discord. We'd also need an in-hand sprite for the sword when it's equipped by a person, but those are generally easier to make.

And I'll need a sound of a wooden sword hitting another wooden sword for when they clash. I really need to make the clashing mechanic more robust, it is a total hack currently.
[Image: indumen.jpg]
[Image: NESQv8M.png]

Did some armor sets, or "bogu" for the training swords. Have been playing around with the colours a little bit.
(03-29-2020, 02:20 AM)Knight Wrote:
[Image: NESQv8M.png]

Did some armor sets, or "boku" for the training swords. Have been playing around with the colours a little bit.

I like the bottom one with the black armor and white outfit under but make the pant legs(hakama) white instead of black.
[Image: DYWmvy0.png]

Made the Hakama white, as you suggested. Unfortunately there isn't a white Hakama in game, so I'd have to recolour it and introduce a full-white one. That wouldn't be too difficult though. Did a bit more changes to the overall shape of the gear, i.e. the legs, helmet and the joint between the pauldrons and chest piece.
Yeah that looks nice and clean though maybe try just one middle plate protecting the groin instead of the two leg ones? Like the actual gear in Frank's post.
Photo 
[Image: XYvilq3.png]

There we go. I'm pretty happy with it at the moment. I've also got the separate, pure white Hakama ready too.
Yeah thats really nice. I like it. Good costume that should come in a kit when you order the traitor katana as well in my opinion. Seeing the pure white hakama become bloody would be great