Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mechanic/Roboticist Programmable Robots Idea
I would really like to see little programmable robots for the mechanic or roboticist. The game currently has very little in terms of portable machines. You can make little cleaner bots or use the Guard buddies but both have very little customizability. The fabricated bots can only do one task and the buddies can guard, roam, or purge. I would love to see a little robot that could be controlled by either a player, a script, mechcomp, and maybe even the AI. You could make little bots with proximity sensors, health monitors, medical tools, cameras, microphones, little arms to drag items and be able to program them to do whatever you need or want it to do! Traitors could also possibly order little weapons or explosives to attach to them. Or you could put mechcomp contraptions on them. I think there is a lot of potential for portable mechcomp and programmable robots. You could make little remotes for them or send them commands through PDA messages or mechcomp. I'm not sure which job would have them, I was thinking mechanics but since they are robots maybe roboticist would make more sense. I think that little packet sniffing or health monitoring mini-robots among others could be really cool, and I would love to see them in the game.
I mentioned this in the discord but robotics and mechanics cover a lot of ground and it's a shame in my opinion that it isn't being expanded on in some way.
Similar machines exist in other codebases, namely Baycode and its branches. This is a wonderful idea and I would love to see its implementation - and as Carbadox mentioned, MechComp overlaps with Robotics and could definitely be expanded to include smaller components inside containers (e.g a robot frame) that have properties such as locomotion, processing, reagent containers and distribution, voice synthesizers, etc.
I would love to see robots that can automate processes on the station through a programmable series of steps. There's a lot of potential to automate processes in QM, Research, Botany, Catering, etc.

It could potentially make up for staffing shortfalls in departments if robotics could pick up the loose slack