Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two-Way Gas Transfer Via Portals
Exactly as the title reads. When you make a portal to a particular location, either via the hand-tele or the telescience pad, it immediately treats the two tiles that the portals are touching as if they were adjacent (i.e., gasses at either location bleed through the portals and out into the hallway/deathtrap/space/etc.).

Deadly plasma at arrivals? Create a portal to space to vacuum the telepad. Then create a portal to arrivals and suck up a huge chunk of that plasma. Create a new portal to space; rinse and repeat to vent the area.

Want to leak a plasma fire into the janitor's closet? Put a can of plasma and O2 into the telepad, set up the coordinates to the Janitor's closet, and create a portal. Watch that puppy start to fill up with delicious fiery goodness.

Need an instant smokescreen to your buddy's location? Create a bunch of smoke in the telepad, and portal them some of it.

I think you get the jist of it.

PROS:
• Gives reason to the atmospherics detection option on the telepad
• Allows for a variety of interesting traitor and non-traitor atmospherics mechanics to take place
• The AI can do it! A new tool for good or ill!
• Super cool
• Adds an extra element of danger/excitement to the use of portals in telescience
• Portals are super power-hungry. An incentive for cross-departmental cooperation when you depend on the engineers for your portal atmos shenanigans to get off the ground

CONS:
○ Probably difficult to code! I don't have any idea how atmos works!
○ Potentially laggy! Atmos! Ah!
○ Potentially abusable! (Felt like i had to say it, but really, if we didn't allow features on their abusability, we wouldn't even have toolboxes)
ahahahahahahahaha good luck getting anyone to code this
Too much to code, otherwise could be fun.
It doesn't seem like it'd be too hard. Just make portal A a scrubber intaking gasses, and portal B a scrubber linked to A that outtakes. The code is there it'd just have to be adapted.
I like it
Klayboxx Wrote:It doesn't seem like it'd be too hard. Just make portal A a scrubber intaking gasses, and portal B a scrubber linked to A that outtakes. The code is there it'd just have to be adapted.

No, because this would cause fucking catastrophes with atmos. But hey, at least you had an idea I guess. The closest approximation which would make sense probably would be a manual gas exchange if there is a portal on the turf between the two airgroups.

Also: the hand tele is locked onto beacons. It would be way too easy to vent the station by opening portals to a spaced beacon, as all air would simply leak out into the space area. I like to think portals are airtight.
Marquesas Wrote:
Klayboxx Wrote:It doesn't seem like it'd be too hard. Just make portal A a scrubber intaking gasses, and portal B a scrubber linked to A that outtakes. The code is there it'd just have to be adapted.

No, because this would cause fucking catastrophes with atmos. But hey, at least you had an idea I guess. The closest approximation which would make sense probably would be a manual gas exchange if there is a portal on the turf between the two airgroups.

Also: the hand tele is locked onto beacons. It would be way too easy to vent the station by opening portals to a spaced beacon, as all air would simply leak out into the space area. I like to think portals are airtight.
the handtele portals aren't permanent, and if I'm remembering correctly, atmos is compartmentalized by room. People would realize what you were doing long before you made any significant progress using the randomized nature of the hand-tele placement.
The portals are basically like mini stargates, and as well all know, air doesn't travel through a stargate. Richard Dean Anderson renders your argument invalid.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:The portals are basically like mini stargates, and as well all know, air doesn't travel through a stargate. Richard Dean Anderson renders your argument invalid.
Damn. I always saw them as Portal 2 apertures, meaning that air flows through them normally (that was one of my favorite spoilered mechanics and they totally failed to deliver it ): )
Cogwerks said on IRC that this would actually be easy to code if enough people wanted it and a coder wanted to pick up the idea.
I would like gases to reliably go through open doorways first. v
I think the possible good uses of this outweighs the terrible griefery that will happen at times.
Good uses being from both damage control and traitor perspectives.
UrsulaMejor Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:

the handtele portals aren't permanent, and if I'm remembering correctly, atmos is compartmentalized by room. People would realize what you were doing long before you made any significant progress using the randomized nature of the hand-tele placement.

The hand tele portals last for roughly 2 minutes. Imagine what an 1x1 space hole does to a room in 2 minutes.