Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MatSci ideas thread
Hey, so currently MatSci is in a bit of a sorry state. There's a few funny things you can do with spears or arrows, you can play around with power cells or (kinda) the captain's antique gun, but overall there's not actually a whole lot to do, and if I understand correctly some previous matsci stuff was removed to get rid of OP things like nigh-invincible pods. This thread is for any ideas people might have to add to or completely revamp the current system. I'll get started.

Perhaps you could make parts and limbs that slow down cyborgs less or make them more durable.

There could be (more) alloys that you could make which would combine a bit like chemistry.

We could make the properties of combining alloys more complicated than simply averaging the stats between the two parents.

In general we could expand or revamp the current stat system to make it more useful. What the crap does "permeable" mean in SS13 anyway, and how can we make it more relevant? Can we re-name "toughness" and "hardness" to make more intuitive sense? Corrosion resistance sounds really cool and sciency! Except, uh, there's nothing that's corrosive at all.

Perhaps MatSci could help you make the fastest hoverbike? Hoverbikes being like segways or forklifts but faster.

Perhaps MatSci could make wall or floor "coatings" which you spray on to transform the tile into something more flame or explosion resistant, or maybe weirder stuff that would let people breath by just standing on the tile.

These are just some of my ideas, what do you think?
More items should have removable, upgradeable, breakable parts

For instance, your PDA should have battery, glass screen, packet signaller and receiver, etc

And of those parts can fail and/or get damaged, applying a status to the item that effects use.

Use Matsci to build replacement parts. Build parts with different materials to change effects. A different gem color used for glass to change colors, or build a bulkier frame to resist physical damage to components. Boost the range of a signal. Build a better longer battery etc
Sickly green glowing PDA lights. <3
I would like it if you could infuse already existing items with starstone; right now you can only infuse materials. Can't make a captain's hat infused with bojack's.
Infusing lights with chemicals should make the light emit a small amount of chemicals. Space-drugs lights? XD
swords

but in more seriousness i like the idea of taking stuff apart and replacing bits to make Custom:tm: versions with their own benefits and drawbacks, like a light thing that swings faster but maybe does less damage, better for stunstakcing, or a slower chonkier weapon

the material science attribute system imo needs seriously badly to be gamified more than it is, as it stands it's complexity for the sake of complexity that isn't really meaningfully explored. instead of reflectivity as a number why not make it 'reflective' vs 'not fuckin reflective' and alloys made with it inherit the former
Custom weapons, make your own guns with different components offering different properties. Single or double handles for pistols and rifles respectively, Lens and batteries for energy variants or make your custom bullets and cartridges with black powder. Different metals offer different stabilities and durability.