Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
making the engineers start the engine
post some cool ideas to give engineers an incentive to spend 5 minutes doing their job so everyone else can do theirs

here is mine

there is a button on the bridge that lights up if the generator hasn't been started at the 10 minute mark,
pressing it sets all engineers & the CE to arrest
10/10 idea

also, let's have all engineers start with electropacks and this is set off in 10 mins as well

on a serious note, this is getting goddamn irritating too. Maybe engineers don't get paid unless the engine is giving out power?
I've been thinking for ages that the engine should be able to go critical and become extremely dangerous, and I don't mean from running it really badly, from running it really well.
Like, one power output hits a certain point alarms go off, then beyond that you have milestones, each one hit adds a new level of danger.

First milestone blows all the lighting circuits on the station simultaneously. More an inconvenience if anything but lets everyone know something is wrong.
Next is massive power spikes. Doors will randomly electrify for a few seconds all across the station. Power in rooms will fluctuate on and off. APC's will shoot arc lightning.
Third milestone will be walking across areas with wires becomes harmful. rip up those tiles and avoid or cut those wires to be safe.
Final milestone is a fullscale meltdown. This could be either a stationwide destruction ala nuke (As a reward for running the engine incredibly efficiently with the entire station trying to stop you) or just a really huge explosion centered at the engine.

This is just a little something to encourage traitor engineers to dedicate their round to doing this, as well as something cool for non-traitors to strive for riding the edge of.

Some other incentives could be the freezing of engineers wages or microbomb implants that detonate if the engine power drops below a certain point after 10 minutes.
It's been suggested multiple times before, but I think we should tie power to the station's budget. Right now, there's no other job on the station which people are suggesting literally killing the employees for not doing. Give us a way to buy/sell power, so when the engineers are fucking off we can purchase gigawatts to fuel experiments, and when the engineers are riding the terawatt express, everyone can get rich off the slush funds.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:It's been suggested multiple times before, but I think we should tie power to the station's budget. Right now, there's no other job on the station which people are suggesting literally killing the employees for not doing. Give us a way to buy/sell power, so when the engineers are fucking off we can purchase gigawatts to fuel experiments, and when the engineers are riding the terawatt express, everyone can get rich off the slush funds.

THE SWITCH ROOM EXPRESS?
Captain_Bravo Wrote:It's been suggested multiple times before, but I think we should tie power to the station's budget. Right now, there's no other job on the station which people are suggesting literally killing the employees for not doing. Give us a way to buy/sell power, so when the engineers are fucking off we can purchase gigawatts to fuel experiments, and when the engineers are riding the terawatt express, everyone can get rich off the slush funds.

I've seen this suggested before and I really like the idea. Call me old fashioned or hardcore RP, but I always like anything that's canon with the "storyline" and selling plasma would be one of those things that really fits in well.
One of the things that have been suggested is having detachable smes units, that would rock.
engineers don't really need money since they start with the tools to break in anywhere & steal everything

APCs will arcflash on high power setups, and yet the promise of griefing the entire station isn't enough for most folks

if you want to make the engineers really shit themselves take away their insulated gloves and put them in a lockbox that won't open until the engine's online
Make them start nude with an ID in hand and the lockbox won't open till they power the engine. Fuck engineers frown
microbomb implant that explodes if the engine is not on within 10 mins
bring back the singularity
The problem with the Engineering job is that they have no incentive to do their actual job; They have insulated gloves and tools so they can get whatever they want on the station, and everyone seems indifferent to Engineers ignoring their whereas in Shroom station Engineers would be hunted down and killed.

If the Engine is not started in fifteen minutes, how about have centcom announce that Engineers are free to be killed? That would give them a pretty big incentive to do their job.
babayetu83 Wrote:bring back the singularity

Fuck off forever.

FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:The problem with the Engineering job is that they have no incentive to do their actual job; They have insulated gloves and tools so they can get whatever they want on the station, and everyone seems indifferent to Engineers ignoring their whereas in Shroom station Engineers would be hunted down and killed.

If the Engine is not started in fifteen minutes, how about have centcom announce that Engineers are free to be killed? That would give them a pretty big incentive to do their job.

One way is to have certain critical aspects of the station such as Medical Bay, Genetics, and chemistry loose power first when the engine is not set up within a certain time period. Then its blackouts that happen quickly.

That should be incentive enough.
I offer this perspective:

1. The startup guide still recommends less-than-ideal gases. New players attempting to follow it often lose interest after a couple of failed attempts.
2. Whenever there's an interested engineer willing to listen and learn, acting as a mentor can be very rewarding for both parties. However, having to frequently deal with unreceptive colleagues who insist on dumping every available canister of CO2/N2 into the loops gets tiresome fast. That's why many experienced players stopped picking that job.
3. Consequently, new guys have nobody to watch.

See the problem? Implementing draconian measures to make the position as insufferable as possible won't help a bit to attract recruits, much less turn them into capable additions to the department. Also consider that engineers usually do a good job at damage control, i. e. tending to hull breaches, fires and hacked doors - it's not all about the engine.

One way to address the issue may be to rewrite the guide. Instead of the suboptimal CO2/N2 recommendation, let it refer to the easy and safe method of using plasma in both loops and furnaces only.
Katznelson Wrote:One way is to have certain critical aspects of the station such as Medical Bay, Genetics, and chemistry loose power first when the engine is not set up within a certain time period.

Thank you captain, two out of three of those areas already do lose (it's spelled lose you doofus and i'm going to murder everyone that uses "loose" instead of "lose" oh my fucking god please fuck off and die) power first.
why does no one like the singularity frown

and i think the problem lies in the fact that most engineers i think only sign up for the gloves and tools