Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Remove cold slowdown entirely
(02-16-2020, 05:50 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: Now that I think about it for a second. Why does cold make you walk slower at all? Like that doesn't happen in real life really.

A coder said it. You know what we must do. It is time we finally remove the feature that everyone hates and adds no fun to the game yet has remained for so long.
How about cold makes you shiver and it affects combat accuracy and timer based tasks?
I feel like cold should still have penalties, but removing the slowdown is interesting. Maybe being cold can harshly affect stamina regen instead? Doesn't slow you down directly, but it would still have a decent effect in combat, escape situations (harder to sprint through it), etc. Also maybe probably more close to anything that happens in real life.
PLEASE
Cold slowdown is so horrifically fucking tedious and every chem or food that cools/cooled you down was always a horrific idea to consume as a result. Pair this with how often holes get popped in the station including one tile ones under machines and it gets really frustrating.

It's also kinda hard to even notice you're getting cold until you're agonizingly slow.

EDIT: I basically support the idea of 'cold makes you shittier', because 90% of the time I die because of coldslow it's because I can't get to a completely uncontested right-there source of heat, oxygen or medicine

EDIT2: I forgot to mention that if you're even somewhat cold it can stack with drag slow and make you move so slowly you can count the pixels. Coldslow also stacks with movement penalties from being hurt.
I think it's mostly an issue of poor integration with other mechanics, you basically either have full protection, or you are nearly instantly slowed to a crawl by cold. IMO it'd be better to have a temperature system that works something like Don't Starve: You have a hidden number that goes up or down towards certain caps based on where you are and what's happening to you (being in a cold location would drop it pretty quickly), but wearing things like cold resistant clothing would reduce the rate in which you freeze over and maybe you could do warm activities to raise it somewhat. Drinking hot beverages, using a welder on yourself (trading burn damage for heat?), standing next to a space heater, basically whatever. If you had proper ways to counteract cold beyond "being totally immune to it" and if it wasn't instant going from "ok" to "the most freezing I have ever physically been and ever will be possibly" then you could justify the cold slowdown being so bad and maybe even make it do burn damage or something.

That's at least one way to go about the issue that's not Just Remove The Mechanic, but it'd be a lot of work. I'd rather a competent rework of the mechanic be done than a flat out removal. The main issue in my eyes is how the temperature system functions, not *that* you are negatively effected by cold.
If cold slowdown was removed just imagine how fast people would be in space. There would be no downside to just walking out into space to escape people. Seems like that would change a lot of stuff.
If we remove cold slowdown we would have to add some other downside to being in space. Like not being able to walk where you want to go on the catwalks without crawling on them or without mag boots.
I think it is important to keep some disadvantage to naked spacewalking, per Kiki. Perhaps the same check which hits you with space burn damage could apply a momentary slowdown effect?
The slowdown from walking into a hallway even half a round after a hole was punched in the floor is pretty miserable though.

I also like the more-incremental idea of Flaborized's, which would similarly still make spacecold a threat but also not make stepping into a cold hallway for a second drag you down awhile.
I have no objection to bare space exposure being very, very, very bad for you. I'm moreso disgusted by 'oops! it's cold somewhere in this hallway, you are now slowed to a crawl instantly. also this will be this way all round'.

Flab's idea is also rather nice and I understand the perspective that basically these systems interplay awfully rather than coldslow being totally an issue. It all just happens too goddamn fast and is too goddamn hard to fix.
Just buff stuff that is used to handle station breaches. Winter coats are severely underused for a first, those could do with some love.
Also Im pretty sure drinking hot drinks and eating hot foods can help out with the cold slowdown as it is.
Quote:What Are the Symptoms of Hypothermia?

Hypothermia symptoms for adults include:
  • Shivering, which may stop as hypothermia progresses (shivering is actually a good sign that a person's heat regulation systems are still active. )
  • Slow, shallow breathing
  • Confusion and memory loss
  • Drowsiness or exhaustion
  • Slurred or mumbled speech
  • Loss of coordination, fumbling hands, stumbling steps
  • A slow, weak pulse
  • In severe hypothermia, a person may be unconscious without obvious signs of breathing or a pulse

I think this would be a good guideline to follow for progressive exposure to cold.

Shakes first, then gasping, vision fade, stumbling, speech slurring, item dropping, stamina loss, then passing out as your vitals slow down.

So uh, kinda like getting drunk?
space maneuverability should still be slow, not because of temperature but more because of having to deal with the problems of low gravity and needing to pull yourself along an edge.
Honestly, I'd rather have space movement be floaty rather than slow.

For instance, all you movements having accumaltive inertia. You don't just stop moving when crawling along a wall, you move against your current speed and direction to slow yourself down.

Emergency Space Suits just protect you from atmospheric pressure damages and radiation from cosmic waves. The more specialized suits have additional protections and features.

Existing items like jetpacks, mag boots, and mining armor help you mitigate those movement issues
So a quick test I performed recently by the way:
- Walk into a breached area: Freezing within 4-5 seconds, possibly less
- Get out of the breach and into a regular area: Takes over a minute to reach 'mildly cold' status, let alone 'room temperature'

If areas are going to be deathly cold I'd really prefer it if they at least didn't look literally identical to perfectly safe ones. Airlessness is one thing but an area that's cold enough to completely cripple human beings has got to get at least a bit foggy or frosty.
(02-21-2020, 12:18 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: So a quick test I performed recently by the way:
- Walk into a breached area: Freezing within 4-5 seconds, possibly less
- Get out of the breach and into a regular area: Takes over a minute to reach 'mildly cold' status, let alone 'room temperature'

If areas are going to be deathly cold I'd really prefer it if they at least didn't look literally identical to perfectly safe ones. Airlessness is one thing but an area that's cold enough to completely cripple human beings has got to get at least a bit foggy or frosty.
Blame engineers - It's not hard to heat the entire station to 50c, making cold less debilitating, with absolutely 0 downsides.