Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Remove cold slowdown entirely
1) replace it with a "shivering" status effect

2) you have a chance to roll "shivering" when you are below a certain temperature, and the chance + duration scales with how far below that you are

3) much like clicking on the "burning" status effect causes you to attempt to roll it out, clicking on the "shivering" status effect causes you to shake and rub yourself warmer, reducing the duration
(02-21-2020, 12:18 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: So a quick test I performed recently by the way:
- Walk into a breached area: Freezing within 4-5 seconds, possibly less
- Get out of the breach and into a regular area: Takes over a minute to reach 'mildly cold' status, let alone 'room temperature'

If areas are going to be deathly cold I'd really prefer it if they at least didn't look literally identical to perfectly safe ones. Airlessness is one thing but an area that's cold enough to completely cripple human beings has got to get at least a bit foggy or frosty.

Why not add some frost textures and particles? Frost on windows, doors and floors? Particles in the air?
Oh hey I remembered this thread and how it got 90% positive feedback
add this already
I think that it's fine, personally. Yeah, it really sucks. But it makes those clunky space suits worth wearing. Most space suits slow you down while indoors; I think it's an important advantage to nuke ops that theirs don't. They have a lot more mobility than crew if they breach space, and they are almost certainly going to breach space. I don't know how much other people care about that, but I like how it makes gear more valuable.

You can already run through space quite far without any bad effects; running from disposals to cargo doesn't even slow you down if you're fast enough. There's vending machines with chocolate all over the place which makes it non-issue to be honest. Just an inconvenience. If there's breaches all over the place, sure, that won't help. But chocolate helps you recover from space real fast.

The only thing I don't like is how hard it is to repressurise/warm up breached areas after it has been repaired, but I don't think that's an easy fix.
What Dickles said. It also is a very good buff for lings. What I propose is two simple ways to make it more bearable. Help intent on self should warm you up, imagine you're rubbing your hands together or something, and secondly, make cold slowdown scale with just how cold you are. So while you're in a vented room, you'll be as slow as you are now, but when you leave it, you'll quickly be moving a bit faster, especially if you warm yourself up.
Pretty sure help intenting yourself has warmed you up for a long time, caveat being you are a distance away from the thing making you cold. Like you can rub your hands to warm yourself up during winter in New York, but not Antartica
(04-12-2020, 02:29 PM)Trustworthy Wrote: What Dickles said. It also is a very good buff for lings. What I propose is two simple ways to make it more bearable. Help intent on self should warm you up, imagine you're rubbing your hands together or something, and secondly, make cold slowdown scale with just how cold you are. So while you're in a vented room, you'll be as slow as you are now, but when you leave it, you'll quickly be moving a bit faster, especially if you warm yourself up.
Pretty sure it already works that way, it just takes forever to warm up once you leave the cold.  You cool off obscenely fast, but warming up takes forever.
I think the problem could be resolved if warming up was easier and much faster, or there were other ways to stay warm (e.g holding a lit welder or lighter in your hands warmed you up a tiny bit)
There's already a way to warm yourself up, consume warm reagants. I always carry coffee with me for the mild stamina boost as well as quick warming properties
some things are in game to suck for a reason