Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motives discussion + feedback
Can salt increase the thirst motive a lot, if we're going the way of ingestable things working it?
(02-22-2020, 09:24 PM)Flourish Wrote:
  • Would you prefer having your thirst motive increase when you ingest reagents (feels a lot more responsive) or on mob life (slower and more gradual increase; what's currently being done)?

I think a mixture would work best. The average drink like water should be a gradual increase, but something like a saline IV should be instant, for emergency situations.

(02-23-2020, 06:54 AM)Sitoutumaton Wrote: Can salt increase the thirst motive a lot, if we're going the way of ingestable things working it?

Salts relation to thirst is complicated. While it might make you feel thirsty immediately, salt also plays a role in water retention and is a key electrolyte.

Salt could spike your thirst, but also boost the effectiveness of water at depleting thirst. Gives you a good reason to have a drink with your meal
I'd like it if motives were slowed down again, in a long round(and they are all long tbh) about midway through one of your biggest time sinks becomes motives unless you game them.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

(02-22-2020, 11:08 PM)Technature Wrote: Wait, that was a bug?

I meant the permastun effect, where your energy wouldn't actually increase, even though you were knocked out.

(02-23-2020, 11:04 AM)Leeanei Wrote: I'd like it if motives were slowed down again, in a long round(and they are all long tbh) about midway through one of your biggest time sinks becomes motives unless you game them.

Do you mean all motives across the board, or are there any specific ones you'd like to see slowed down?
Ah, wasn't aware of that. Nevermind.
You can deal with sleep pretty easily(just cram coffee into your spaceman until they twitch) but the worst of it is probably drinks. You cram yourself full of liquids, don't even get to 100% after drinking an outrageous amount of water, then head to the bathroom then have not so long before you have to drink again. Food isn't so bad if there's a chef on or you very un-RP like break in and make better food.
I just added freshly brewed coffee, which gives double the energy regular coffee does and also replenishes more thirst. Maybe this'll encourage people to use coffeemakers more (when available)? If you have any suggestions for other cute flavor things, let me know! I'll look into the feedback people had for motives in a bit.
Increasing the capacity of the coffee pots would be good. They only hold 20u and all of it goes instantly in 2 sips.
Ginger ale does nothing to thirst.
Cryo should restore all motives, because it is annoying to go in for 15 minutes only to return and have to spend the next 10 recovering all your motives
(02-23-2020, 09:16 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Salts relation to thirst is complicated. While it might make you feel thirsty immediately, salt also plays a role in water retention and is a key electrolyte.

Salt could spike your thirst, but also boost the effectiveness of water at depleting thirst. Gives you a good reason to have a drink with your meal

I quite like this. Having salt in your body will decrease your thirst, but it should increase how much hydration that drinks give you.

As a side note, perhaps soda should restore some thirst, but as soon as it finishes metabolizing your thirst drops rapidly for a moment, making it a super inefficient drink.
Sorry I haven't really been keeping up with maintaining motives! Please keep suggesting things, though.

(03-14-2020, 07:59 AM)Maegor Wrote: Cryo should restore all motives, because it is annoying to go in for 15 minutes only to return and have to spend the next 10 recovering all your motives

Good idea, added!
After a small discussion on #rp-server, I'd argue:
Continue improving thirst & hunger motives.
Disable sleep and both sanitation motives. I think these motives skew too far towards "HRP" for the needs or purpose of the server.

Food interactions (that is, food-mob interactions) can be neat themselves, but the motives help the chef/barman roleplayers, while being relatively easy to manage should none be present, and typically don't require crossing the station to find a bed / shower/ toilet/ vending machine/ water cooler.
The other motives feel like they interrupt rounds and interactions, without adding much "flavor". I've experienced hot situations where people say "Shit, be right back, need to take a nap / coffee." and there's little point RP arguing ("What do you mean?! We're under attack!") because the alternative is they pass out, and I myself will probably need a "break" in the action as well.
That's a solid point on the concept of motives and one I've brought up a few times, that sleep and sanitation interrupt the game, especially if people are at the bar trying to RP.
Thinking on this, sleep should be kept in, but should be something that normally doesn't need tending to outside of certain circumstances.

For example, if the round goes into overtime, as it doesn't seem unreasonable for people working longer than expected to feel tired. The use of certain items (Tranq Darts, for example) could force it to be necessary to sleep early if they don't take full effect right away too.