Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Cold Resist on light/standard robotic limbs
Hello. I was trying to brainstorm some ideas that would make other robotic limbs, particularly legs (non-treads) more viable and came across the thought that perhaps light/standard limbs could provide an innate resistance against the cold movement debuff, whether it be total resistance or a little buff against it, as I don't believe robotic limbs should suffer from the same penalties that flesh and blood do. Understandably, if you were too cold, you would still suffer damage i.e. in space, but a simple breach on station wouldn't be enough to slow you down as drastically as having normal legs would. Obviously treads would not receive the same benefits as they are already very quick. Let me know what you think.
Robolegs not slowing you down in cold? Seems proper to me.
I feel that treads/standard legs already have a trade-off. If you get stunned/knocked out on treads you keep standing up. This means that a lot of the time people won't notice you need help; I've seen many treaded corpses sitting out in the open and I'm sure they would've been taken to cloning if they were laying down.

But the main thing for me is in a shootout; if you get hit by a taser normally (or with robot legs) you fall down, and it's pretty common to only be stunned for a few seconds, with the rest of their shots going over you. They still need to close the distance and stun you with something to finish the job, and that gives you a chance a least to get up and do something. If you're on treads, they're going to keep firing and that stun is easily going to reach the cap and you are boned.

Maybe that's just me personally but I feel treads are worse than legs because of this.
Now that I think about it for a second. Why does cold make you walk slower at all? Like that doesn't happen in real life really.
Obviously spacemans are cold-blooded. That's why their body temperature is always the temperature of the room they're in.
I always assumed it was because you are literally being frozen solid. Like ice is forming and slowing you down. Would make sense with space, at least in my head it does.
(02-16-2020, 05:50 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: Now that I think about it for a second. Why does cold make you walk slower at all? Like that doesn't happen in real life really.

Space is not cold and cold is not slow.
Breach coldslow is confirmed as an awful mechanic.
(02-17-2020, 02:27 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 05:50 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: Now that I think about it for a second. Why does cold make you walk slower at all? Like that doesn't happen in real life really.

"As you probably know, space is already very, very cold — roughly 2.7 Kelvin (-270.45 Celsius, -454.81 Fahrenheit). This is mostly due to a lack of atmosphere and the vacuum-like nature of space — with very few molecules to energetically bounce around, there can be no heat." - Google
(02-17-2020, 09:17 AM)KikiMofo Wrote:
(02-17-2020, 02:27 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote:

"As you probably know, space is already very, very cold — roughly 2.7 Kelvin (-270.45 Celsius, -454.81 Fahrenheit). This is mostly due to a lack of atmosphere and the vacuum-like nature of space — with very few molecules to energetically bounce around, there can be no heat." - Google

Don't quote me on this, but I think the lack of atmosphere also means heat doesn't transfer away very quickly from an already warm object, such as a human being. Not that you don't have other things to worry about
PRobably but when its 2.7 Kelvin all thoughts of Warmth mean nothing. You are getting flash frozen. You know those dippin dots treats that they make by dropping them in liquid nitrogen? Liquid nitrogen is about -340°F or around that now imagine your body being dropped into temperature of -450°F. If its like that I can see why being in space in the game makes you slower because you are being flash frozen.
(02-17-2020, 10:14 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: PRobably but when its 2.7 Kelvin all thoughts of Warmth mean nothing. You are getting flash frozen. You know those dippin dots treats that they make by dropping them in liquid nitrogen? Liquid nitrogen is about -340°F or around that now imagine your body being dropped into temperature of -450°F. If its like that I can see why being in space in the game makes you slower because you are being flash frozen.

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2013/s...uman-body/
no
read this
I guess when you think about it though, a breach would still end up being cold since the station has atmosphere which is experiencing a big pressure difference
(02-17-2020, 03:19 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(02-17-2020, 10:14 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: PRobably but when its 2.7 Kelvin all thoughts of Warmth mean nothing. You are getting flash frozen. You know those dippin dots treats that they make by dropping them in liquid nitrogen? Liquid nitrogen is about -340°F or around that now imagine your body being dropped into temperature of -450°F. If its like that I can see why being in space in the game makes you slower because you are being flash frozen.

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2013/s...uman-body/
no
read this

Neat. Though this still means people would be moving slow in space without a suit on even if its not really cold how we think of it.