Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let Changelings resist out of handcuffs based upon intent
Currently the best way to identify a potential changeling is with the Handcuff test, which is, as some have put it,  "really gamey." It is 100% accurate and impossible to fake, which is pretty BS for the changeling player.

Proposal: If you are handcuffed as a changeling, clicking Resist while on Disarm Intent will immediately remove the handcuffs, otherwise on any other intent you'll attempt to remove them the slow way.

"You've been handcuffed! Press Resist while on disarm intent to remove them quickly, or Resist on about other intent to help keep your identity secret."
great idea
Might be better to make it it's own ability or to tie it to transform arm the way lesser form also can break you out
Yeah just making the handcuff removal a icon button to press instead would be better. Trying to resist out of handcuffs should just do the normal slow removal
Don't you think that the Changeling has enough ability icons as it is?
I agree with Podrick that Ling ability icons are a bit much already. I personally like the intent function, but I also think its worth mentioning that, similar to other things such as click drag vs interact, a new player may not be as familiar with the differentiation. Flockdrone is one of the only other (semi)-antags I can think of that rely heavily on intent for a variety of abilities.
(02-12-2020, 11:15 AM)Recusor Wrote: I agree with Podrick that Ling ability icons are a bit much already. I personally like the intent function, but I also think its worth mentioning that, similar to other things such as click drag vs interact, a new player may not be as familiar with the differentiation. Flockdrone is one of the only other (semi)-antags I can think of that rely heavily on intent for a variety of abilities.

Yeah, that's my thinking. Specific intent actions can be less intuitive to learn, and I too would like to avoid another button hence why I think merging it with the arm transformations makes sense

Though, really, testing someone's ling status by demanding they resist out of cuffs is pretty damn metagamey
The "but it's not intuitive to learn" argument can be mitigated with the game telling you that you have options when you get handcuffed.
thats a great point
Hmm. Too many icons seems a problem. I mean omnitraitor you can't even see the upper part of your screen because of that. I think there should be a toggle to have the icons removed and placed back over on the commands list side.
Other possible way to go about it that I've thought about: Maybe if you resist again while already resisting as a ling it could remove the cuffs instantly? With text telling you that you can do this when you resist. Avoids adding a New Button or Weird Intent Sensitive Interactions
Soooo, I can't think of any possible reason security would have to handcuff a suspected ling outside of taking them to be bloodtested, in which case they're most likely going to be found out regardless. While this may have decent use for the RP server, I could only see this as a hindrance or not used otherwise.
The thing is that people use it INSTEAD of the blood test. Why drag them to medbay to figure them out when you can just say "Resist out of the cuffs or I'm throwing you in the crusher?" As mentioned before, it's just metagamey as hell.

Not to mention it's a fantastic way to announce that you exist if you get arrested before anyone even knows there's a ling on the loose.
(02-14-2020, 03:43 AM)Flaborized Wrote: Other possible way to go about it that I've thought about: Maybe if you resist again while already resisting as a ling it could remove the cuffs instantly? With text telling you that you can do this when you resist. Avoids adding a New Button or Weird Intent Sensitive Interactions

That's the best one
Flaborized came up with a much better idea than mine, yeah.