Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Defibrillators should be available to craft in medical manufacturers
Title

I tend to print more of them roundstart as medic in mechanics fabricator but it makes perfect sense for them to be printable by medical fabs aswell. Especially nowadays, when defibs are being stolen by artifact nerds. There is 99% chance that you won't find another defib while latejoining as medic.
I agree with this idea. The only downside I can tell is that it slightly shrinks the interaction between medbay and mechanics, but on the other hand, mechanics would still be useful for making more medicine vendors. Maybe bump up the cost of defibs if they're currently cheap, so that medics can't alone invalidate rationing out defibs. As much as it can sting to be unable to find one, I think the scarcity is good both for making deep crit an actual threat and for medbay to either communicate about defib locations or communicate with other departments for more materials.
I dont see why mechanics would be needed to supply medbay with necessities. The only thing mechanics should be doing is supporting them by making copies of cloners, nano meds and such.

Im suprised defibs arent already in medical fabricators, so I think this is a more than good idea.
the necessities are provided; you have 3 or 4 defibrillators in medbay, just like you already have a cloner in medbay.

backup defibs are extra, and that makes it your job to communicate with mechanics if you want more (currently).

not entirely opposed to them being printable, but I do feel at least a little bit resistant to it. they are powerful medical devices and them being limited is interesting to me.
(02-09-2020, 02:38 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: the necessities are provided; you have 3 or 4 defibrillators in medbay, just like you already have a cloner in medbay.

backup defibs are extra, and that makes it your job to communicate with mechanics if you want more (currently).

not entirely opposed to them being printable, but I do feel at least a little bit resistant to it. they are powerful medical devices and them being limited is interesting to me.

Also easily convertible into a stunning weapon
Well, flashes also are printable at robotics fabricators, they are easy to get stun weapons. And yet, you can print them

So, if the fact they're indeed powerful is concerning, to make them a little bit less accessible, I'd suggest putting them into fabricator's hidden menu, same as flashes

I noticed that not many people even know that fabs can be hacked
I don't know. I liked them being a rare item, but now I'm not so sure. It's not unusual now for one or two to get nabbed at round start for what I'm presuming is art research like the op said. 

I used to feel guilty about grabbing one to have on me for personal use but now not so much. If I don't grab one early as a medic there's usually not going to be one in medbay when I need it.
Yeah I was thinking if you could just make more of them then someone with an emag could just make a shit ton and emag them all
What if the surgery table has a built in defib? You could still have the portable versions, but one would always be available. It could be like a little hand paddle that works like the phone receivers, with a little distance before it snaps back
(02-09-2020, 08:52 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: What if the surgery table has a built in defib? You could still have the portable versions, but one would always be available. It could be like a little hand paddle that works like the phone receivers, with a little distance before it snaps back

+1
IIRC there is no actual on-click interaction for the surgery table (besides maybe tabling a grabbed person, and you can already drag them onto it from the floor if I recall), so this would make for a perfect addition to the surgery room & table.
What if art research didn't have to steal all their tools?
(02-09-2020, 10:15 PM)Vengarr Wrote: What if art research didn't have to steal all their tools?

They don't have to, the electrobox is perfectly capable of activating electricity activated artifacts. 
It's just that
a) People want to check artifacts on the move.
b) People are not actually scientists and are instead (for instance) a clown.

I do strongly support the addition of defibrillators to the fabricators, though. I don't feel like this is the kind of item that should be hard to obtain while in the medbay, just because random people decided to run off with them at some point.
This also reminds me of a discussion I saw a while ago about adding some sort of wall cabinets with immobile defibrillators in them at some points of the station. That seems like another possible approach, very similar to adding a defibrillator functiontionality to surgery tables.
I do like the aspect of defibs being a rare item to be honest; if someone's in really deep crit they'll likely need it so if you're not near medbay or one of the few players with one you're in trouble. Sure there's electrified doors and stun batons but they're not nearly as reliable.

There's these pads you can stand on in medbay hooked up to a computer that work like a medical scanner I don't think get used often. Maybe they could be given the ability to defib people? Or a similar stationary area? Would mean medbay would always have an area to revive people that can't get stolen. Defibs are still vaulable and better but doctors aren't boned if they can't find one.