Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A limited non-maths way to access telescience locations
Based on a discussion I had in Discord about telescience, I think it'd Good to have some sort of way to access the telescience zones without having to do math. I think there's some really great content in adventure zones, and that the math barrier tends to keep people away from exploring them. (However, I think the math is kinda cool and should still be a means to access the zones.)

The idea: Every round, at roundstart, a random postcard representing one of the adventure zones (it could be anything thematic, not necessarily a postcard) spawns in telescience on the table. This postcard could either have the coordinates you need to plug into the console, or you could use it on the console (or long range teleporter) to add that place to the list of bookmarks. 

Only giving them one is important to this idea for a few reasons. Most importantly, it funnels all people who want to go to an adventure zone but don't want to do the math into one specific area, and going through areas with a group is more fun than going alone. Secondly, it makes it so doing the math is still the best way to get anywhere, since you can choose where you want to go if you have the coordinates written down. This means that the changes is just supplementary to the math system, and not a total replacement.

Adventure zones are some of our coolest content, and I think that encouraging people to check them out and go on little adventures together is a good idea. The Owlery has shown that you can have a great adventure zone without having the math barrier of entry. I'd be willing to contribute sprites to this project if coders decide this is a Good Idea.  bee
I like the Postcard idea, but I feel like it should be found in a different location than Telescience. Maybe in the Research Director's office, encouraging aspiring scientists to ask their (sometimes) more experienced Director for help with the teleporter?
I do like not doing math
I think ultimately for the good of it, that adding an alternative system to add incentive to exploring, especially as a group is a good thing in the longer run.
im sure problems will arise from this but ultimately that can be dealt with when the time comes
I like this, maybe if having it be given at round start is too strong then have it show up at a location in the debris field
Great idea! I really like that it makes it both accessible, but that learning the math leads to the majority of telescience benefits still. This leads me to another question I have to, but ill make a separate thread for it.
I really like that idea of having an easier way to access tele science.
Also, providing a random location means a dice roll on what location you could explore this round.

Let's think the other way: What are the possible negative effects?
People discovering Lava Moon, dying there, because they came unprepared, and trying to do it right the next time, when they discover the biodome.

Well, doesn't sound too bad, means people learn to understand to read the hints on the cards (or whatever item we want to use).
And maybe, how to do the math so they can visit the last location again.

Also, how does the one free coordinate change the math meta? Does it mean, grab the item from the table, insert it into console and get the station z, and a set of valid coordinates, so you remove 1 from x and y and get the math done even quicker with only one probe?

Which brings me to the question, what item should be used?
The item should make it either obvious that it is meant to be used on the telescience console (adding a bookmark is a great idea) or that the math on the coordinates are already done.
If it is to be inserted, it could be some kind of coordinate "chip/usb stick/disk".
If it is a post card, the lore could have the instructions a la "if you want to follow me, set the following coordinates in the telescience computer"?

In short, I like the idea.
I don’t believe anyone honestly does math to do telescience anyway. You either use a spreadsheet or you use the online calculator.

Removing the math requirement and expanding the no-teleport zone to the entire station would be my preference.
(01-31-2020, 08:53 AM)Vengarr Wrote: I don’t believe anyone honestly does math to do telescience anyway. You either use a spreadsheet or you use the online calculator.

Removing the math requirement and expanding the no-teleport zone to the entire station would be my preference.

I have to disagree with the removing math and expanding no-teleport zone. Sure you might use a spreadsheet or calculator, but learning how to do that, or making your own spreadsheet and saving that, is still fun in my experience. Sure it can be powerful, but as I discussed in discord and on another thread recently if someone is using telesci for evil there are a couple of ways of stopping that.
Well, that's the rub. I don't mind people teleporting to (most?) ADVENTURE bits directly.

All the means is that people that take the time to learn/bother with the math portion can do nefarious things with the teleporter in the actual map.
This sounds fine. To not make using calculators even more trivial, I'd rather just give coordinates and not hint at what the location is on the memo, so that you can't just peek at the card, press a new button on your calculator, saying "lava moon coords are x/y" without having to actually check which adventure zone the coords send to using the teleporter.
This shouldn't bother people that don't want to do the maths, all they have to do is enter the coords, take a look and come back if they didn't want said location.

This could actually work as a good incentive to learn the math, once they start enjoying adventure zones but realize that they're limited by the memo RNG.