Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OMJ plays
been recording gameplay for a little- funny I decide now when I play on a touch screen and am getting fucked up in game for the first time in a literal decade- and will tossing down rounds/clips or whatever on Youtube. thinking of posting 8 select rounds a month all at once & other shittery sporadically.
Few questions-
would you guys be cool if I had my own music on instead of game audio or would game audio be preferred?

do you guys want commentary or breakdowns or whatever? a lot of very good players have a lot of nuance that goes underappreciated and i’d wanna highlight it but feel like it’s too neckbeardy to do so

what do you guys use to edit videos? i suck at blender

bottom text
I can go either way with regards to own music vs game audio. Hearing what kinds of music you like would neat at least, though I'm worried about how finicky YouTube is with copyrights these days.

Analysis/commentary would be nice, and I think it could really help you stand out amongst the people. There's SS13 content makers who do unedited footage without commentary, ones who do short clips that sometimes have memes/post-production gags edited in, ones who basically do LPs, who are typically pretty chill and relaxed, but not much in the way of analysis, save the those good few who do tutorials.

As for editing software...I can't make any solid recommendations on that. I can tell that, when I made a silly compilation for a biology lab class , I used Adobe Premiere. As someone who's never edited videos before, I picked it up pretty easily, and the documentation was solid. It's paid though (I personally got around this by using some computers at my university that had it), and it felt a little slow at times, though that might just be hardware.

sample text
Use Windows Movie Maker.
Would be awesome to have a Goon youtuber. Honestly it depends on what you feel comfortable making. Two of the most popular content for SS13 seem to be full feature let’s plays like Tex from BPL or shorter more edited videos like Boat Bomber. Choose whatever you feel is more fitting.

Background music would be cool, I remember ZeWaka had Lofi hip hop running in his let’s plays and it was quite fine.

I’ve used Hitfilm Express. It’s a video editor styled for VFX but I believe it would probably be suitable for the work you’ll be doing. It’s free and not limited in anyway, apart from paid VFX packages but those are just things like “lightsaber prefabs” and prepared content.
I use Davinci for my video editing.  it works i guess :/

If I don't like the commentary, I can just mute the video.  My brain tends to fill in the noises anyway.

As mentioned before, Boat Bomber and Tex tend to be the standard for video types.  I also have a video or two I made if you wanna use them as reference.  I have been told the music in the first video is too loud, so I dunno?

Unwanted text.
PlumphelmetPunk's SS13 videos are basically the perfect way to make SS13 videos in my opinion. He plays old video game music while playing SS13 and then cuts the music off when there is in game music in SS13. Though honestly he made his videos back before player controlled radio, now a days music is playing in the game a lot more.
(01-30-2020, 08:11 PM)Technature Wrote: If I don't like the commentary, I can just mute the video.  My brain tends to fill in the noises anyway.

I remember watching a Ulillillia video where they explained they put their commentary on the right audio channel and the game audio on the left channel so the user could adjust the individual speaker levels for their computer to the ratios they liked and that has always struck me as some next level shit
I think videos w/ commentary would be fascinating! I've always been curious how some people are so robust!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb5sDKhYVyg p shit video- watch this in HD!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS4F-pLKBJk Here's a throwaway where I get clobbered and do everything wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCxoD6NlPU podrick plays blob very well in this one- watch in HD
https://youtu.be/-38I36jPUXM?t=773 very poor ling round but pretty funny. click through for some classic goon apathy to start, followed by goon coordination
Hey - sweet videos.

I guess it is just my type of deal - but I would really appreciate some commentary. smile
(05-27-2020, 01:05 PM)GORE Wrote: Hey - sweet videos.

I guess it is just my type of deal - but I would really appreciate some commentary. smile

yeah maybe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejUQRW-XC8Q this'll probably be copyright struck bc i forgot that i as playing music- should watch w/sound off since the audio got garbled. my favorite round that i've uploaded imo. 50:00 mark is one of my favorite kills, but overall the *story* in this round is really fun to look through, i think.