Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
(RP) AFK indicators
Rainbow 
[Image: zlHl5F2.png]

Basically: A way to set yourself as AFK / BRB (either/or), that pops up a tiny indicator like this. Auto-removed when you do something like move or interact. Currently, examine shows "_______ seems to be staring blankly into space", but that requires examining.

This would be more for when you have to get up for a few minutes. Not long enough to use the cryotron (15 minute delay...) but not long enough to bother finding a quiet room to hide out in. It'd also make it clear that someone isn't around even if they're still connected - useful for admins who need to go handle something, like the screenshot.

It would be totally voluntary and would not grant any sort of protection from getting beaten up/murdered/whatever; it's just to let people know you aren't around but will (ideally) be back soon.
I know this is isn’t exactly on topic but I suddenly remember reading some old change log from like 2010/2012 where apparently there used to be a thing that AFK players would get possessed by an AI that would mindlessly run around the station doing...stuff.

That code is probably so old it’s been lost to space and time now but I’ve always wondered if perhaps we could see it return in some shape or form.

Maybe it could be a mix of the indicators and the AI. It would probably help sort out the awkwardness of afking I guess
I don't think this is necessary. If you're going afk on rp, simply sleep in a bed somewhere, that's what I've always done.
(01-29-2020, 05:25 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I don't think this is necessary. If you're going afk on rp, simply sleep in a bed somewhere, that's what I've always done.

Well OP said specifically said (paraphrasing) "When the time you'll be gone is so short that it doesn't even warrant going and finding a bed - less than a few minutes"

This would probably also include cases wherein you have to suddenly and with little to no warning get up from your computer (e.g a roommate or family member calling for you)
My main thoughts were situations like that, or needing to get up and get a drink or use the restroom or whatever. In some cases it's also not feasible to find a bed, and even then (especially with RP) there's a conflict there between "in bed because AFK?" or "in bed to regen sleep intent".
I don't know why there need be a distinction between people in bed because of being afk or the sleep motive.

I agree that it could be tedious if you have other things going on irl while playing on rp and you dont want to find a bed each time you need to go afk for a minute or two. But for me, seeing an afk indicator like the one proposed is sort of immersion breaking, so I'll relent that the idea is sound, but the execution needs more refinement.

I think it would be better if we could do something less intrusive than maptext saying "afk" in-game. Like the sleeping 'zzz' overlay, that conveys information in a way that is kinda meta, but also intuitive. Currently all we have that is nearly like that affect for afk-ness is the "stares blankly into space" examine text for afk players that logged out. And I say "nearly" because in the past it used to only be used for afk players, but now it is used for brain damage as well.
(01-30-2020, 05:10 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I don't know why there need be a distinction between people in bed because of being afk or the sleep motive.

I agree that it could be tedious if you have other things going on irl while playing on rp and you dont want to find a bed each time you need to go afk for a minute or two. But for me, seeing an afk indicator like the one proposed is sort of immersion breaking, so I'll relent that the idea is sound, but the execution needs more refinement.

I think it would be better if we could do something less intrusive than maptext saying "afk" in-game. Like the sleeping 'zzz' overlay, that conveys information in a way that is kinda meta, but also intuitive. Currently all we have that is nearly like that affect for afk-ness is the "stares blankly into space" examine text for afk players that logged out. And I say "nearly" because in the past it used to only be used for afk players, but now it is used for brain damage as well.

why not just a "..." over people's heads, like three medium-size dots not in a bubble
it could be interpreted as staring into space, or deep thought, or w/e but everyone "knows" ooc that it's afk
The intent behind the suggestion was to be explicitly meta, since it's a meta condition, rather than anything in game.