Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.89 Average
Enzymatic Reclaimer should only accept butchered meat.
Currently, dead crewmembers are cloned (or borged) and their corpse is then fed into the reclaimer. This is efficient, but it has a number of downsides.

1. It's tough (though not impossible) to run out of biomass for the cloner if bodies are being fed in at a 1:1 rate with clones produced.
2. It's really easy to hide a murder. (drag the victim to cloning, throw them in the scanner, say "Oh gee, braindead" and throw them in the reclaimer). I'm not sure how often this is done, but I've gotten away with it plenty.
3. Feeding all corpses into the reclaimer deprecates pretty much all other corpse management tools. lBody bags, the morgue, the crematorium, the funeral mass driver, you name it. It can be slim pickings for an unlucky Wraith.

If the Reclaimer no longer accepted bones, then butchered meat and viscerite would be the primary fuel for cloning. This would encourage interaction between departments (relying on mining for viscerite and QM/Chef for meat) and revive a lot of those deprecated game mechanics. And you could still put humans in the reclaimer in a pinch, you'd just have to "prepare" them first.
I'm afraid that this would nerf cloning, making people even LESS willing to clone people than they already are.

I do, however, like the idea of using viscerite for cloning.
Isn't viscerite already usable for the reclaimer?
If so then I didn't know that lol
It is viable supposedly, it's just never used.

Medbay is supposedly in charge of the cloner, they can make sure the Reclaimer is topped off.
Note that there's a couple chems, such as blood and beff, which adds to the cloner's biomass amount when you pour it into the pod. The reclaimer isn't really necessary, just convenient.
Wait really? You don't need the reclaimer?!

Holy shit that's actually amazing to hear - I thought that the cloner was FUCKED if the reclaimer was destroyed!
I literally only just discovered this while going through the code. The reclaimer turns meat inside of it into Blood, Meat Slurry, and sometimes Beff, which then gets divided up and added equally to all Cloning Pods it is attached to.

You can also use Synthflesh and Pepperoni.

Just makes me even more convinced that we could do without recycling bodies, if there are that many alternatives.
This idea really seems like you just want to up the cloning difficulty for difficulty sake. The only thing this will accomplish is add more busywork, and wait time to the cloning process.

There's not much that can logically be done about your first point. If you reclaim a human body, you get a living human cloned with equal biomatter usage. I could understand if it took more biomatter to make a new human, but even that would get tedious after awhile.

There are a lot of simple ways to hide a murder such as spacing, crushing, cremating, or gibbing.

Body bags are used for body transportation, the morgue is used to store future biomatter and spare body parts, and the funeral ejector is a waste of time and bodies. I'm not sure what you meant about the wraith comment, because they don't seem to have any issues with removing dead people from the round.
The real purpose of the reclaimer is to automatically strip the corpse so you don't have to waste time removing that many items.
^^^
There is definitely that.

(01-26-2020, 01:30 PM)Skornzy Wrote: This idea really seems like you just want to up the cloning difficulty for difficulty sake. The only thing this will accomplish is add more busywork, and wait time to the cloning process.

Cloning IS a little too easy in certain situations. Mainly rev rounds where Heads can pre-scan themselves and be instantly revived on death. But that's not really my issue, its that body disposal is a little too easy. I'd like to see the body bags, morgue, crematorium et al used more often.

Plus if forensics ever gets reworked, having corpses around to autopsy will be important.

Quote:Body bags are used for body transportation, the morgue is used to store future biomatter and spare body parts, and the funeral ejector is a waste of time and bodies. I'm not sure what you meant about the wraith comment, because they don't seem to have any issues with removing dead people from the round.

Wraiths need dead bodies to get more Wraith points. If dead people are instantly cloned and disposed of, no wraith points.
(01-26-2020, 01:30 PM)Skornzy Wrote: <...>

There are a lot of simple ways to hide a murder such as spacing, crushing, cremating, or gibbing.

<...>

The enzy reclaimer is the easiest, and quietest way to get rid of a body - every single other way has severe drawbacks.
Spacing? Can be found, quite easily. (Pods have lifeform scanners)
Crushing? Loud, bad spot(usually), can get absolutely wrecked by a good AI, easy forensics evidence.
Cremating? A) requires access B) usually in a bad spot C) Forensics, again.
Gibbing? Pretty much all ways require chem access, and a loud sound.

Sure, hiding the remains might work short term, but remember that staff assistants roam the maint tunnels and the body will most likely get found.

All in all, I love this idea and I hope it gets implemented.
(01-26-2020, 10:44 AM)Vengarr Wrote: If the Reclaimer no longer accepted bones, then butchered meat and viscerite would be the primary fuel for cloning. This would encourage interaction between departments (relying on mining for viscerite and QM/Chef for meat) and revive a lot of those deprecated game mechanics. And you could still put humans in the reclaimer in a pinch, you'd just have to "prepare" them first.

Good luck ever fucking getting the chef or miners to cooperate. I'd maybe be alright with this change depending on how the rock box thing works out. If it's frequently full of viscerite, then I guess this could work. But before then, or if that's not actually how the rockbox works out, then this change would be awful. It'd basically become "nobody gets cloned unless hydroponics is in a helpful mood towards medbay and grows synthmeat" since in my experience the botanists are the only cooperative members of the entire station.
(01-26-2020, 05:48 PM)cyberTripping Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 10:44 AM)Vengarr Wrote: If the Reclaimer no longer accepted bones, then butchered meat and viscerite would be the primary fuel for cloning. This would encourage interaction between departments (relying on mining for viscerite and QM/Chef for meat) and revive a lot of those deprecated game mechanics. And you could still put humans in the reclaimer in a pinch, you'd just have to "prepare" them first.

Good luck ever fucking getting the chef or miners to cooperate. I'd maybe be alright with this change depending on how the rock box thing works out. If it's frequently full of viscerite, then I guess this could work. But before then, or if that's not actually how the rockbox works out, then this change would be awful. It'd basically become "nobody gets cloned unless hydroponics is in a helpful mood towards medbay and grows synthmeat" since in my experience the botanists are the only cooperative members of the entire station.

Seconded. Frankly you really really should not make a vital part of the station's function dependent on another department in this way. Remember when cloning got nerfed once?

Remember how everybody fucking desperately hated it because it made cloning more tedious?

There you go.
Please no, this would, as stated before, just make the cloning process take longer, and the waiting around you do to be cloned along with the 3-5 minutes in the pod alone already make it incredibly boring to sit around and wait on.