Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.89 Average
Enzymatic Reclaimer should only accept butchered meat.
Why not just get rid of the Reclaimer altogether? Just make it draw power from the grid to make new biomatter.
CLONING SUCKS
ROBOTICS RULES
You can also just pour cryo + cryox to the cloning pod to speed up the cloning process immensely and this also uses up less biomass too if I'm correct.
(01-26-2020, 08:08 PM)Vengarr Wrote: Why not just get rid of the Reclaimer altogether? Just make it draw power from the grid to make new biomatter.

Or replace it with something that uses the body without destroying it ? Like a fluid drainer or whatever that extracts what it needs and leaves the body in a rotting state, which can then be sent somewhere else like the morgue, crematorium, kitchen, etc.
(01-27-2020, 01:39 AM)Haprenti Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 08:08 PM)Vengarr Wrote: Why not just get rid of the Reclaimer altogether? Just make it draw power from the grid to make new biomatter.

Or replace it with something that uses the body without destroying it ? Like a fluid drainer or whatever that extracts what it needs and leaves the body in a rotting state, which can then be sent somewhere else like the morgue, crematorium, kitchen, etc.

Now this is an idea I like. Doesn't change up cloning much at all, but still makes bodies more of a persistent thing.
I had no idea that blood/beff/(maybe also synthflesh?) could be added directly to the pod to increase biomass. That's a game changer. I normally just stuff cyro or mannitol if i'm feeling stringent, but that doesn't change the biomass. 

So what do I gather from this thread to offer up a balanced perspective? 

1. Don't entirely nerf the reclaimer. But maybe tweak the values.

The whole process of putting someone in the reclaimer and it automatically removing the clothes (where you can stuff their stuff into a locker, or just leave it on the floor), is just a really nice QoL and should not be removed. However the biomass values of a corpse should probably be reduced (ever so slightly), so that it doesn't automatically translate for one body --> biomass for one cloning. Maybe 90% of the value, so there's a slight inefficiency. 

2. The reclaimer should not completely delete the corpse.

I agree that the corpse deleting is lame, for a multitude of reasons. Slim pickings for the wraith, changeling too. Slim pickings for the Chaplain. Slim pickings for the Detective, knowing who's dead is important. And slim pickings for black market organ salesmen - a lucrative scheme. 

So what should change? Haprenti's point above is solid.. the corpse is partially dissolved in the reclaimer. 

It should randomly destroy multiple organs and limbs and spit out the corpse in a drained (no blood) state. No blood, as this would mean it's not much use to vamps, who right now are already in a v good place in terms of balance. MD's can then do the following:

- Store the corpse in the morgue for later usage (in case they need the leftover organs for biomass) or for selling organs, etc.
- Send the corpse to the crematorium (in case there was something EATING whatever was in the morgue, and pray).

On the topic of emagging: This should now not delete the corpse but SHOULD delete the clothing on the target (as was previous). Maybe also destroy the bodies face, rendering them unknown. 

3. Add some beakers of blood to the organ box

You know the one i'm on about, the one in the morgue. Add some beakers of blood that could be added to that cold storage organ box that frequents the morgue. 

There should also be a READ ME paper in the organ box providing a list at what can be added directly to the pod to increase biomass. A hint should also be added to the roundstart hints as this is a real niche knowledge that I don't think many knew.

Ninja edit: Some may point out that this may indirectly buff lings significantly. I disagree - corpse stealing has always been a thing for lings. Keep in mind that if a ling eats a corpse that is in the process of being cloned, they wont be added to the hivemind - they'll only get the DNA. This means no critter potentials for the ling.
(01-27-2020, 03:10 AM)cyberTripping Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 01:39 AM)Haprenti Wrote:

Now this is an idea I like. Doesn't change up cloning much at all, but still makes bodies more of a persistent thing.

One thing I like about this is it makes the whole thing where when a changeling eats someone and they can't be cloned make more sense. 

You can't extract their fluids because the ling already sucked them out. 

Also there's the potential to make a Chem that represents clonable fluids
(01-27-2020, 04:55 AM)Sundance Wrote: I agree that the corpse deleting is lame, for a multitude of reasons. Slim pickings for the wraith, changeling too. 

The ideas you propose would certainly make things more interesting, but where are these hungry wraiths and changelings? As far as I know they seem to get along just fine under the current system. They don't need any more easy targets to farm points with. If this was implemented the points received from claiming a reclaimed corpse should be lessened.
being able to reclaim a corpse is one of the few ways to prevent a wraith from feeding on it. i'm also not entirely sure but i think if you're cloning and reclaiming at an even ratio you'll generally end up net-positive on biomatter
Quote:The ideas you propose would certainly make things more interesting, but where are these hungry wraiths and changelings? As far as I know they seem to get along just fine under the current system. They don't need any more easy targets to farm points with. If this was implemented the points received from claiming a reclaimed corpse should be lessened.
A closer look at balancing:
You could halve the dna points for changeling. That way a reclaimed corpse would be
- only worth 5 DNA points (negative)
- Not get any benefit of adding souls to the hivemind.(negative)
- But still counts towards objective (positive)
For wraith, 
- halve the WP regen gain (negative)
- still costs 20 WP (negative)
- halves the cooldown increase upon use (positive) 

And to address your point, I think it's wrong to view this as simply a farm for lings/wraiths. Yes there's an element of that but remember.. this is in the crew's control. If everything is consumed then the crew kind of fucked up. 
Less aimed at wraiths, who are for the most part in a good position anyway, and more for lings.. who are a bit 50:50 when it comes to being good. Having a small leg up that doesn't actually directly harm anyone is a good thing!!

Quote:being able to reclaim a corpse is one of the few ways to prevent a wraith from feeding on it. i'm also not entirely sure but i think if you're cloning and reclaiming at an even ratio you'll generally end up net-positive on biomatter

Being in the morgue or generally out of sight is also a massive barrier against wraiths too. 
Perhaps a chaplain annointing a reclaimed corpse by smacking it with a bible even further reduces the WP gain to a 1/4? (And a normal one to 1/2?)

And yeah it probably shouldn't be a net positive. 90-95% net negative imo.