Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Please reduce the sound range for basically everything...
...But ESPECIALLY the piano and instruments. Some dude has figured out how to loop piano music for the whole round, it makes me want to die.

I feel in general that sounds are too loud though. You can hear a guy crowbarring a door or shanking a dude from miles away.

But god, please please please fuck the piano.
Well I mean you can just turn your sound down. Currently I feel like the sound is too quiet but that might be because Im using monitors speakers instead of getting actual speakers
I have to say it is a bit strange to hear quacking ducks, opening doors, screams and various other sound effects from the hidden workshop.
I feel as if compressing the range would yield far better results - i.e, meteor alert blows ears out, while footsteps are whisper quiet.
(01-24-2020, 08:58 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Well I mean you can just turn your sound down. Currently I feel like the sound is too quiet but that might be because Im using monitors speakers instead of getting actual speakers

The problem isn’t that sounds are too loud, it’s that they’re audible from too great a range. If you’re in the engine room on Cog1, you can hear the phone ringing in QM, Medbay, or the Bar.

Someone emagged all the phones in Manta the other day and you could hear literally all of them at all times. It’s maddening, and really defeats the purpose.
I agree, the sound range for most things needs to be at least half of what they are
Yes please. I unironically need my immersion in farty space game. I always tried using sound as Sec to locate possible scenes of crime (screams, impact sounds etc) but everything is so unrealistically loud and out of place it's just wierd and pointless.
The sound range jankiness actually made farts so loud when placed on my own character that it hurt my ears for a while a couple years back
Honestly th blood drinking sound as vampire is a huge weakness because of how far away it can be heard as well. I agree with the need to reduce effective distance for some sounds for sure.
Yeah I suppose you can instantly hear vampires and csabers from anywhere on the station. Kinda shitty.
How is sound distance decided? Is it just distance from source, or does it take into account things like what kind of tiles are in between or the blocked out areas between the source and receiver?
we are looking into it. its not super easy like adjusting a few numbers, byond doesn't provide very fine control over sound falloff so we'll be coding our own volume : distance thing
I like the sound of the piano, and I do not know why you spoke so badly about it. Maybe you're talking about a particular track, but I generally like this decision in music. I sometimes create music myself and very often dilute my piano playing with all sorts of commercial sound effects. Then I add the bass, and a lovely interesting melody is built. Lately, I've even been thinking about starting to write a rap to my tracks because I feel right that it is necessary to write to this music, and I want to bring it to life
This thread was made about 2 years ago. The sound range was heavily reduced during that time.
That may be a spambot.