Thatrye's HoS application
Usual character name: One-Handed Wally
BYOND username: Thatrye[b]
Discord username:
[/b]ryebredd#1125
Recommended by: TDHooligan
Goon servers you play: Goon 1

Reason for application: The main reason I'm applying for HoS is to enable me to respond to incidents aboard the station more effectively by utilizing the Armory. I spend much of my time wandering around aimlessly as Captain until shit hits the fan anyway.  In the case of nuke ops, wizards, and other hostile antagonists, however, having access to the armory would provide me with many more avenues of assisting the crew.

Security experience: Most of my experience comes from playing Captain, where when I’m playing casually I’m usually just running around drunk, keeping an eye out for crimers, and helping out security when needed. When in the security department, I prefer playing detective, doing pretty much the same thing of getting drunk and wandering around the maintenance tunnels instead, looking for suspicious things and hunting down leads. As someone in a relevant profession IRL, I’m investigative by nature, so looking around for clues and drawing connections is an enjoyable experience to me that comes easily.

Of course, being security isn’t all about hunting down antags and dishing out death sentences. The difference between a good sec and a bad sec lies with their punishments. Good officers should be able to show discretion and stop crime with a measured hand, without ruining the fun for everyone else. When I dish out punishments, I tend to seek out a funnier or at least more interesting alternative to the brig. Generally, as long as people aren’t getting hurt and things aren’t getting destroyed, it doesn’t require much intervention. For low-level mischief and tomfoolery, 20 swirlies will often suffice. When it comes to traitors and spies who are actively harmful, brig time is appropriate, but I won’t be a total buzzkill; they can keep their PDA if it’s locked, and I always try to leave them the opportunity to steal their stuff back. Even when it’s deadly antags, as long as they are cooperative, I like to give them an opportunity to fight for their life, such as a wizard having to escape handcuffs and teleport away while someone they polymorphed into a wasp stings them to death, or a vampire having to win a trial by combat for his freedom.

At the end of the shift, nothing really matters, so the important thing, as always, is to have fun with it.  

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    Be lenient and patient with people and they will appreciate it. Sometimes it's OK if crimers get away. Always leave the last donut for someone else.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments?: Certainly the most impactful security moment for me was when we were trying to set up a trial for a wizard. Crew attendance was high, and we had the lawyers, judge (me), and the wizard in the electric chair ready to go. The hearing was about to begin when suddenly, somebody had turned the electric chair on and killed the wizard before we even announced the charges. Everyone was shocked (especially the wizard, hah!) and before I could even comprehend what had happened, the crew was in an outrage, yelling and demanding justice. Soon they went up in arms in a full-on riot, beating chairs and fire extinguishers against the windows of security until they broke through. If I remember right, I was trampled and beaten to death along with some others. That was certainly a memorable round, and the incident happened due to a lack of communication and control, with 3-4 people in the room with the prisoner. After that, I try to keep only one person in the room with the prisoner when I do trials.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions:
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
    A Haiku:
                     O, poor, simple clown
                     My hands tighten 'round your neck
                     Soon your honks, they fade.
  • Draw a picture!
                   heres my cat

Previous bans: none

heres the picture that didn't load [Image: 3Apvb2A.png]
It sounds like you don't actually put on the red spandex from your application? Is that correct?
well while you're an ok security officer (but much more of a captain main), there are some big things missing either from your application or in my confidence that you're ready to be an HoS.

Firstly, your security experience seems rather very bland and lacking of some of the things that I have personally seen in rounds where I've played Security alongside you. After this, as your application suggests, you are often times captain way more than you are detective or an actual officer, and while the captain does have the role of protecting the station and maybe assisting security, I would say that's not enough to know how to try and manage and lead a security team. Security has to work around a lack of access and (most times) lethal weaponry to get their job done, and it can truly be tough dealing with things with just a taser and baton.

For now I'm saying no. I don't feel you're quite ready to take on the role of commanding a security team and keeping their best welfare as well as the crew's in mind due to a lack of practical and hands on experience with the actual role of security officer and a slight lack of you showing that you can cooperate and communicate with other officers efficiently and effectively. I think if you spent a lot more time in the position of an average officer and showed these skills, that you would have the ability to perform well as an HoS.

TL;DR: Would make a good HoS with more training and hands on experience with the actual officer job and all that comes with it.
Yes, it's true, I don't have a lot of rounds in as security officer, but for the record I'd say at least the majority of rounds I play as Captain I spend responding to calls just like I would as security, I just enjoy the efficiency and convenience of all-access. I also do some light roleplaying when I play One-Handed Wally and his character is a sort of Captain figure in my mind. But that's neither here nor there.

I do understand the nuance between Captain and Security officer, and something I for sure lack is experience within the department. I also just only learned recently that you can pick security officer and still have a chance to roll antagonist. I was mostly avoiding the position (hence why I favored detective when I did pick it) because I didn't want to give up a chance at rolling antag.
Of course, now that I know this, there's no reason for me not to play security officer more now that I know I still get to have antagonist rounds. In fact, I just rolled antag instead of sec as I'm typing this smile

Anyway, hopefully you'll see me in the security wing more often now. I'll gladly reapply once I get more experience under my belt.
I dig your gig. I would support you applying for mentor!
I haven't personally seen you play security officer very often, though you do play Captain in a somewhat similar manner, and your application looks solid too me. I would highly recommend that you play more security while your application is currently up, though.

Tentative +1, don't disappoint!
you dragged me for 17 minutes cuffed because i picked up a command headset, in mechanics, that you had already scanned, and forcefed me tea or some weirdo bullshit. i was the HoP- a random name secHoP but regardless. on top of that you don’t even play sec that much. you do well as a captain but based on that incident and not playing sec it’s a no. would be a yes if you played more sec and demonstrated you weren’t shit to others for a few months, which you absolutely have the capacity to do so. that shit put me off of ss13 for a while- others wouldn’t have ever played again. it was the most heated i’ve ever been over a fucking video game. the next time I saw you was on ass day where i killed you off principle- i probably would’ve ate a perma if it was any other day.

I do dig how you play captain and I’d love to see more people play captain as a point man role, however. No one incident defines someone- even if that didn’t happen, I’d vote no on accord of you not really playing sec.

double post- they’re absolutely competent enough and would be a wholehearted yes if they play more sec. One experience doesn’t override dozens (hundreds?) rounds of being good and competent. I just think it’s iffy voting for someone who hasn’t played much sec in comparison.
It looks like you need some more security experience. You may apply again whenever you feel like the concerns in this app have been addressed.