Poll: Do you think this is a good idea?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Totally.
38.46%
5 38.46%
Sure, with some tweaks.
23.08%
3 23.08%
Maybe, but I have concerns.
23.08%
3 23.08%
No way José!!!
15.38%
2 15.38%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Commendations
Star 
AKA guess who saw something Overwatch did and somehow thought it was a good idea??

So I was thinking about ways to reward good Sec play and I had an idea: what if you could reward players for doing a good job at various stuff? Here's my idea:

STUFF THAT IS THE SYSTEM
After the round, you should be able to give people a commendation. 
A commendation would essentially be a little "good job!" note. You could give it to a player, and that player would receive a few things:
- A notifier in chat that they earned it
- A small sum of Spacebux
- A little badge (more on this later)

There would be a few limits to this, however:
- Voting a person for a commendation requires more than one person to do so. This prevents cliquery and farming badges/spux.
- You would only be able to vote after the roundend and before the start of the next one, at least on certain badges. This would prevent an in-interface spoiler for a player's name/job/antag status.
- Certain commendations would be limited to being given only to a person of a certain role.

Example Commendations:
  • Communicative: For a player that was a good talky person and not a silent weirdo.
  • Model [x]: For a player who went above and beyond a certain role. This can be their roundstart job or one they became later. (Note: you can't vote someone a Model <antag role here> if they weren't one!)
  • Funny: OK you know what this is. Cmon. You know what this is.
  • Helpful: Somebody help you out? give em this!! i guess!!
And so on.

Badges
Earning a Commendation would grant you a small pixelized badge, possibly in a badge box with pagination and optionally the ability to move em around. An additional special command would allow you to view the badges tied to your ckey in thos box, and how many of each one you had earned.

If, for some reason, you want to get rid of badges, such as getting something you didn't want (Model Clown, as if that isn't a godlike prize) or resetting your commendations every so often, you'd be able to delete them from this menu too.

Nasty Tech Stuff
This would require more than a few things, though:
- A way to tell who was what job (or at least reopen that damn menu) both that and the prior round
- A UI for giving people commendations
- A UI for storing the badges themselves
- s p r i t e s

STUFF THAT ISN'T THE SYSTEM
Reasoning
I think it's neat. The Model "x" badges would encourage people to do well at their jobs in order to be recognized for doing good.

Also, wanting to gain at least one of each Model "x" badge would encourage people to branch out and play differing jobs to round out the full set.

Plus, this system would have everyone on equal footing once it was added, with no one getting preferential treatment or pre-existing badges for prior rounds.

Concerns
While I think it'd be a fun system, I am a bit worried about a few things; namely, that players would flex on each other for having the most badges. I also am a bit worried that people might begin attention-seeking or farming approval so as to get people to vote for them. 

Since the badges don't provide any lasting gameplay buff or anything, even cosmetically, I think the most issues would come from social perception of the system.
Very interesting idea. The only part that I would find a it concerning may be the social aspect that you mentioned, flexing etc. I would personally suggest making it so that you cant vote for yourself potentially to encourage reflecting on others performance more.
round end doesn't have a lot of time to it and populating the list of crew members + their jobs was surprisingly laggy; if I recall correctly, one of the fixes to round end lag was to actually have that system just kinda not finish sometimes.

I like the system and such, but I could only see this working if round end were extended to bring up the full list of everything again

That said, extending round end would also let us do map compiles at round end while still giving players something to do while they wait (give out and discuss commendations).

Overall I think it's a cute idea that would have its place in the game.
Flexing on nerds isn't a downside. I like the idea
(01-24-2020, 07:18 AM)Recusor Wrote: Very interesting idea. The only part that I would find a it concerning may be the social aspect that you mentioned, flexing etc. I would personally suggest making it so that you cant vote for yourself potentially to encourage reflecting on others performance more.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that you shouldn't be able to vote for yourself, not even to 'confirm' a potential vote.

Also not sure whether earning that commendation should be printed to everyone like Medals, or just you.

(01-24-2020, 07:47 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: round end doesn't have a lot of time to it and populating the list of crew members + their jobs was surprisingly laggy; if I recall correctly, one of the fixes to round end lag was to actually have that system just kinda not finish sometimes.

I like the system and such, but I could only see this working if round end were extended to bring up the full list of everything again

That said, extending round end would also let us do map compiles at round end while still giving players something to do while they wait (give out and discuss commendations).

Overall I think it's a cute idea that would have its place in the game.

Extended Roundend is a very contentious topic, and iirc admins have said that longer roundends directly correlate with fewer people next round. I think what'd be better would be some sort of server recall between rounds, where in the lobby for one round it shows info from the previous, since you have several minutes there. I'm not sure what is, or can be, carried between rounds tho.
Instead on a badge, the player character with the most commendations gets their picture hung up as "employee of the month"

Players don't know if or how many commendations they've received until then