Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Map vote incentive
Every manual map vote should dispense .025 of an antag token. 40 individual votes (so around 30 hours of game time) would dispense an antag token. I bet this’d boost voting rates enough to move the needle.
1 Random bee egg upon voting
not a fan of antagonist token dispersal. I think a x1.20 spacebux bonus for the round would be appropriate.

the bonus would not only encourage you to vote, but also to stick around to the end to actually maybe roll into the next round
I think an incentive might be fun. Idk though about antag tokens though. Personally I'd rather see spacebux, but also spacebux is pretty lacking. Would be fun if you could spend spacebux for antag tokens, or loot crates that might give you an antag token.

But I still think that the most important factor for low voter turnout is that you vote for the next map 30-70 minutes in advance. You don't know if you'll still be playing at that time or what you'll be in the mood for after having just played for an hour or so.
I can attest that I often don't vote because I'm unsure if I'll still be playing.
I'd somewhat recommend starting the vote at shuttle departure (problematic for rev/nuke rounds). Or some other later time.

Edit: Just saw that thread about later vote times, so nevermind.
I was going to suggest the same thing OMJ is suggesting but I figured it would never be possible because of how stingy you nerds are with antag tokens. Spacebux would be more possible but no one really cares enough about spacebux to really go out of their way to get them, though if we could buy tokens with spacebux that would make them very very wanted by people. Im just not sure what would be enough of an incentive other than antag tokens.
I mean, I wouldn't mind the spacebux bonus, it would help for any chemnerds or people who like to buy the gimmicky stuff in the shop, but at the same time, yea, antag tokens are a big incentive, and I don't think being able to buy them with spacebux is such a bad thing
A chunk of Spux would be nice.
+1 to that and also making antag tokens expensive but purchaseable. Sometimes you kind of just want to blow off steam, y'know?

I have exactly 2 antag tokens, one from winning an ass day contest and the other from actually having a round blown up by admins. But I won't complain about having more!!
Okay, I get being stingy about antag tokens, but the demand for the incentive will far outweigh how much incentive is actually given out. 40 rounds of an antag round is a LOT of time. A hardcore player would be lucky to get 8 antag tokens a year. Most players will never sniff this- but they absolutely will vote.

This initiative would dispense max 300 times in a year I think.
There have been, since april, 11,000 rounds. Assuming 13,000 rounds (conservative) in a calendar year, this means we only have 2.3% of rounds affected by a single antag token. That much of a difference to make map voting an action taken by the majority of the server is definitely worth it.

Besides- upping the antag rate that insignificantly would make rounds way more fun.

There is nothing else in the game that provides as much of an incentive as a fraction of an antag token.
I don't really think people ignoring the mapvote is much of a problem actually. If you want to play on a map, vote for that map. The incentive is... that you want to play on the map you want to play on. If you don't vote, either you don't care (which is totally fine and lets people who Do Care take precedence) or you forgot. I think with the mapvote sound and Big Text it's pretty reasonable to expect the majority of players who care to vote, only sometimes forgetting. If a lot of people don't vote, that's on them!
With the antag token idea, what's to stop someone from leaving the game open or joining at round starts to farm antagonist tokens in the background? Voting in a rounds doesn't necessarily translate to participating in rounds.

If we're entertaining the idea of a map vote incentive, I would prefer it to be at least functionally like my suggestion, where it's naturally based on playtime in some manner instead of something you gain instantly upon voting.
(01-23-2020, 08:21 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: With the antag token idea, what's to stop someone from leaving the game open or joining at round starts to farm antagonist tokens in the background? Voting in a rounds doesn't necessarily translate to participating in rounds.

If we're entertaining the idea of a map vote incentive, I would prefer it to be at least functionally like my suggestion, where it's naturally based on playtime in some manner instead of something you gain instantly upon voting.

It would be the same rules as joining a game and then immediately suiciding because you didn't get antag. We already have rules on antag fishing and this wouldn't change them.
(01-23-2020, 08:21 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: With the antag token idea, what's to stop someone from leaving the game open or joining at round starts to farm antagonist tokens in the background? Voting in a rounds doesn't necessarily translate to participating in rounds.

I really don’t think anyone would actually do that, there’s no precedent on anyone ever doing that on SS13.

also this could be viewed as an argument to indirectly boost the antag rates by 2-3%. That’s good too
(01-23-2020, 09:16 PM)OMJ Wrote:

I really don’t think anyone would actually do that, there’s no precedent on anyone ever doing that on SS13.

also this could be viewed as an argument to indirectly boost the antag rates by 2-3%. That’s good too

You sincerely underestimate how much people are antag fishing - I play a lot of detective, so on cog1 I'm close to crusher. I'd say about every second round I hear someone crush themselves in first minute of the round. And not to mention other ways people go out - biblefarting, yeeting themselves outta the airlock, cryo, etc.
(01-24-2020, 02:11 AM)polivilas Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 09:16 PM)OMJ Wrote:

You sincerely underestimate how much people are antag fishing - I play a lot of detective, so on cog1 I'm close to crusher. I'd say about every second round I hear someone crush themselves in first minute of the round. And not to mention other ways people go out - biblefarting, yeeting themselves outta the airlock, cryo, etc.

A person committing suicide early on doesn't necessarily prove they're antagfishing. They could be jobfishing, trinketfishing, hell, they could just want to observe but don't want the wonkiness that comes with being an Observer.