Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Small Roleplaying related improvements that won't drive Azungar mad
Title. Come and suggest minor additions to SS13 content that is more roleplaying orientated then usual ideas that can be found in the ideas section. Preferably ones that I can do rather easily or something that we could potentially crowdsource. What kind of clothing would you like to see? What kind of small features?

Please no large scale reworks, I already promised to work on the motives.
Add a smol chem that turns one into a frog, and can only be reversed by being injected with Pure Love?
Personally, id like to see more ways of creating the static decorations on the station, like the potted plants, the bookshelves (hnng patchforum), wooden floors, posters, etc, etc. 

It really doesn't need to be complicated whatsoever, the general manufacturer interface would suffice. An example I can give is a woodworking bench in botany that produces the various wooden items on the station, which accepts wood as a material. 

All the sprites are mostly there, all you'd need is to link it in with a system.

Why is this an RP suggestion? I often see on Reddit people make their own little spaces on other servers (and there are often empty spots on our maps that would fit well here). These kind of creative things invite people to interact.
A command for the Communications Console that lets the station send a formal message or request to Centcomm. Basically, it's a fancier way to Pray.
Foods that are raw or simplistic shouldnt fill up ones' hunger meter much, the more complex a meal and the more ingredients it requires should correlate to how much it "fills" someone up. Ie; junk food should be easily accessible but offer only short term benefits, whilst a complex dish made by the chef could cover you for a whole round: this could incentivise people to come to the bar/kitchen for food rather than just eat crap they find on tables left about. The Chef could demand payment also with which to buy ingredients from Botany to incentivise the use of people's paychecks. Maybe this is a way for money to have some worth in rounds as at the moment money seems to carry no real value?
Increase motive speed by 4x at least - at the moment, you can survive a entire 120min round without even coming close to ANY motive being dangerous. Perhaps also carry over motives over if you survive the round too?
(01-20-2020, 03:38 PM)polivilas Wrote: Increase motive speed by 4x at least - at the moment, you can survive a entire 120min round without even coming close to ANY motive being dangerous.

Definitely seconding this. I'd like if players had some motivation to sample the barman and chef's concoctions, or at least use the vending machines. As it is, people only use vending machines to get rare chems.
Clothes needing to be ran through the washing machine to remove set in stains.

More things getting your clothes dirty, like oil from working with machines, dust from ores, food from meals, etc
(01-20-2020, 10:00 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Clothes needing to be ran through the washing machine to remove set in stains.

More things getting your clothes dirty, like oil from working with machines, dust from ores, food from meals, etc

top thing is already a thing
Some great ideas so far, keep them coming. I think I am going to do Sundance's suggestion for more decorative items (since I was actually planning to do something similar) and more stains as both of those seem like they could greatly increase immersion without that much effort. I will open up another thread for the motive change when I've got some more concrete information written about it, we had some good discussion about it last night.
(01-20-2020, 10:06 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 10:00 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Clothes needing to be ran through the washing machine to remove set in stains.

top thing is already a thing
u can remove stains thru water, washing machine removes the name tho, it should be made that removing the graphical stains and name require washing machine

(01-21-2020, 01:28 AM)Azungar Wrote: Some great ideas so far, keep them coming. I think I am going to do Sundance's suggestion for more decorative items (since I was actually planning to do something similar) and more stains as both of those seem like they could greatly increase immersion without that much effort.
i added a chem in that chalk patch that could be used as part of a laundry detergent, the uh, sodium-ish one, totally add that as part of like a "laundry detergent" chem
Whatever about the oversights/balances with the humble washing machine, it NEEDS to be sped up. If you want a good waiting time to compare it to, the microwave is a good un'. Currently it feels like cloning would be faster.

I also feel it should work off credits, for mild NT capitalist inconvenience, but I guess if I was a coder i'd just make everything cost money, including air.

Other minor changes:
- The gym machines should take a fair bit longer (currently they're done in ~5 seconds, make it 15) but instead of adding 1 min buff per usage, it adds 5 minutes of buff. So effectively a buff to the buffs for buff dudes. This would encourage more visitors.

- The Sauna could have buffs too, so long as the room is hot. I feel this would be better tied in with the motives system however.
(01-21-2020, 09:37 AM)Sundance Wrote: Whatever about the oversights/balances with the humble washing machine, it NEEDS to be sped up. If you want a good waiting time to compare it to, the microwave is a good un'. Currently it feels like cloning would be faster.

yeah washing machines take forever. While it's a bit counterintuitive, I'd argue shortening the time would increase the amount of inter-player interactions that happen in laundry rooms. Currently, you just put things in the laundry machine and leave, maybe returning if you remember that they're in there. If it's short enough of a time span that leaving and coming back would be inconvenient and unnecessary, people would stick around longer.
Add a CentComm-like announcement that activates every 45 minutes (just a number off the top of my head) that encourages the crew to take a break, that would last whatever amount is suitable. Additionally you could add that payroll is withheld during break time to cause more of an incentive, without forcing anyone to actually do anything.

Another thing, if motives end up getting tweaked to actually work now perhaps we could move the fast food delivery order off from the QM list and into its own thing? Perhaps a console or maybe just a PDA app like Space-Uber-Eats that would teleport food in with cargo pads or merchant shuttles as the "pizza guys".
(01-21-2020, 01:28 AM)Azungar Wrote: Some great ideas so far, keep them coming. I think I am going to do Sundance's suggestion for more decorative items (since I was actually planning to do something similar) and more stains as both of those seem like they could greatly increase immersion without that much effort. I will open up another thread for the motive change when I've got some more concrete information written about it, we had some good discussion about it last night.

PM me or reach out on Discord (W O A H, I'm on Discord now) if you need anything for this - such as some animated machinery, etc.