Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Map votes should be held at the end of rounds
It makes no sense for people to vote for a map at the beginning of a round. Everyone who late-joined gets no say in the next round, and a good portion of those early voters are unlikely to stick around for the next map anyway.

Hold the vote when the shuttle arrives at CENTCOMM imo.
This was mentioned before, but there are game modes that generally end without an escape shuttle. Specifically Nuke Ops, Blob, and Revolution.

Holding the vote at the beginning is roughly the only real way to not narrow down the round via meta knowledge.
compiling the next map takes a significant amount of time. This could potentially delay round end to an unforgivable level.

That said, we might get away with reducing the pre-round timer to compensate, but I'm iffy on that.
Im fine with where the map vote is now but it seems people just dont really vote often. Usually the vote just goes to everyones autovote which is generally Cog1.
What about voting for the next next map in the pre-round?

Round finishes on Cog1 and the next map is Cog1 again. During the pre round, people would vote for the next map not in the upcoming round but the one after that.

A bit clunky and maybe confusing but at least people wil get to vote in peace and not when they're doing their round start set up.
From the changelog update that added map voting:

Quote:Monday, November 6th, 2017
Wire updated
  •  Map voting system. Once a round has lasted for 5 minutes, an automated map vote will trigger allowing you to vote on the next round's map. By default the vote lasts 2 minutes.
  •  If you're wondering why this vote isn't at the end of the round, well there's technical reasons as a map switch triggers a full recompile of the game, which takes like 3-5 minutes.

3-5 minutes isn't too bad by real life standards, but I think extending pre-round by that long might make things unbearable--consider that some people complain about 5 minute loading times for instance.

I don't know if the 3-5 minute range can be shortened with better hardware. I do know a good part of it due to BYOND code itself; before my time, there was a major BYOND update that drastically reduced compiling time.
What about this idea. How about people cant vote for the map they are currently on? So that way every round is a different map than the one that was JUST played?
And chase off half the server every other round?

If CoD's success has taught me anything, it's that no matter how much people say otherwise they just want the same thing over and over again.
Compile times are lower than that (about 1 1/2 minute now or so?) but it still takes a while.

I'd personally like to see auto-votes removed and voting given an incentive. Like you get some token spacebux bonus for voting.
(01-19-2020, 02:26 PM)Zamujasa Wrote: I'd personally like to see auto-votes removed and voting given an incentive. Like you get some token spacebux bonus for voting.
Yeh.
I once thought about not removing the votes for the loosing map. Sounds silly at first, but hear me out.

If one player wants to play on Atlas, but 9 other players vote for different maps, after the 10th round Atlas would have 10 votes, while the other maps have less votes.
This would basically add a weighted map rotation.

Just a thought, through.
I would be in favor of delaying the end of the round to allow a map vote. The side benefit is that it lets people get into a fresh round more easily if the time is extended.

30-second mapvote, minute 1/2 of compiling doesn’t tack on too much time imo.
Would it be technically possible to have the vote held at cent-comm and let people wander around there for a bit while it loads? As in for everyone chilling out at Cent Comm with re-spawns on at the shuttle until the next round starts. I think this could allow people to engage in more Goonstation just a little bit while waiting for the next round and would allow a map vote to happen near the end of a round. It could also add a bit more immersion to the fact that you get to keep space-bux items between rounds.
(01-22-2020, 11:11 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Would it be technically possible to have the vote held at cent-comm and let people wander around there for a bit while it loads? As in for everyone chilling out at Cent Comm with re-spawns on at the shuttle until the next round starts. I think this could allow people to engage in more Goonstation just a little bit while waiting for the next round and would allow a map vote to happen near the end of a round. It could also add a bit more immersion to the fact that you get to keep space-bux items between rounds.

I think this might be my favorite idea.
Exploring Centcomm is really fun, and most times damn near impossible because oops you bumped into a few guys on the way off the shuttle. Extending the roundend time and making getting to Centcomm actually feel like more of a reward/achievement for survivors while stealthily building the next map sounds like a lot of fun.

Plus, it would be more time for players to talk about what happened in the round, while being able to focus on the upcoming round once the server restarts.
(01-22-2020, 04:55 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 11:11 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Would it be technically possible to have the vote held at cent-comm and let people wander around there for a bit while it loads? As in for everyone chilling out at Cent Comm with re-spawns on at the shuttle until the next round starts. I think this could allow people to engage in more Goonstation just a little bit while waiting for the next round and would allow a map vote to happen near the end of a round. It could also add a bit more immersion to the fact that you get to keep space-bux items between rounds.

I think this might be my favorite idea.
Exploring Centcomm is really fun, and most times damn near impossible because oops you bumped into a few guys on the way off the shuttle. Extending the roundend time and making getting to Centcomm actually feel like more of a reward/achievement for survivors while stealthily building the next map sounds like a lot of fun.

Plus, it would be more time for players to talk about what happened in the round, while being able to focus on the upcoming round once the server restarts.

The problem with this is round types that end suddenly without shuttle times, like Nuke or Blob.

Now, you could then have the voting start after those rounds end and just have people wait around on station, as ghosts, or whatever.