Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New Law Module: "Equality Module" [Discussion]
Quote:Silicons are now considered human, part of the crew, and their rank is equivalent to their respective module's rank in the chain of command. The AI is third-in-command, below the Head of Personnel and above the department Heads. Multiple AIs are ranked by seniority. 

In my opinion (admittedly biased as someone who greatly enjoys playing as AI), this seems like a very balanced and reasonable, well-written law. I forget who exactly wrote it, sadly, but they did an excellent job of doing so.

This module would aim to essentially make the AI and Cyborgs act as more crew than simple tools and machines. Possibly with some alternative versions that can be selected by using it in your hand, which could change the rank of the silicons, and even make it so that only the AI is human, and not cyborgs.

As a very simple addition to the game, I personally would enjoy seeing this added. Sure, the Freeform exists, but using that logic, you might as well just get rid of every other Law Module.

What do you guys think? Is this a reasonable law module to add? Or perhaps does it require tweaks? Or should no variant of it even be added as a module at all?

Proposed Edits:

Quote:Silicons are now considered human, part of the crew, and their rank is equivalent to their respective module's rank in the chain of command. The AI is fourth-in-command, below the Head of Personnel and above the Medbay, Research, and Engineering department Heads. Multiple AIs are ranked by seniority. 

Quote:The silicons named [Enter Text Here] at the time of this law being uploaded are now considered human, part of the crew, and their rank is equivalent to their respective module's rank in the chain of command. The AI is fourth-in-command, below the Head of Personnel and above the Medbay, Research, and Engineering department Heads. Multiple human-designated AIs are ranked by seniority. 
I think this is an actually rather well written law, my only issue is that it would put the AI above HoS, despite HoS being at or above HoP in most situations, other than that it sounds like a good addition to me
Hrm, good point. Perhaps the AI should be 4th in command then; Captain > HoS > HoP > AI > CE/MD/RD > Department staff (including borgs with respective modules, or possibly just staff assistants).
Uhh, one problem - It doesn't have anything editable. All other modules have.
Well, no - Emergency doesn't have any editable sections, for example. If you wanted an editable version of it, perhaps you could designate *which* silicons are considered human?
Emergency totally does have editable sections. You get to specify what kind of emergency is declared and what type of personnel you have to listen to. The modules it and RemoveCrew replaced though, ConservePower and ProtectStation, they didn't have editable sections, and I think that was partially why they got replaced. In addition to the laws themselves being a little questionable, they were rather situational, I think in large part because like you can't sneak an entirely different law like with NotHuman and such.
This would make an interesting ion storm law at least.
At the very least, this being an ion storm law would be great - however, I think it would be better as a module, but possibly having both would be kinda neat.
The downside with having it as a module is...that there are no downsides. Silicons are more powerful and durable than humans, and the constraints of the Laws are the price they pay for that. Making them human removes the necessity of following orders in most cases.

There’s also no real way to play around with it as an antagonist. It would be fine as an Ion Storm law though.

This is a law I like to use to empower the AI when the station is having a hard time. A skilled AI can really make hay with it.