Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Goonstation Monthly Contest: January Edition!
Star 
Happy new year crew! Welcome to the future, welcome to 2053. Please have a wonderful stay. a fancy greater domestic space-bee

For this month's contest, we have two categories open for submissions. If you're a fan of platitudes, or are still in the mood for new year's resolutions type things, I guess we can say that both of them follow the idea of how small things can make a big difference. Here they are:

Hair sprites: Hair is often the most distinctive feature of your character's appearance and identity. Your hairstyle conveys much of your personality and is integral to your sense of self (ever had someone dye your hair without your permission? ever wanted to beat them to death? yeah, same). Hair sprites themselves, though, aren't some super complicated art thing. And because hairstyles are fairly accessible, even to the inexperienced spriter, we'd like ask members of the community to try their hand at new hair sprites! For any submissions you make to this category, please also include a suggested hairstyle name. 

Roundstart tips and tricks: You ever see those random bits of advice at roundstart, maybe ones that say "see something scary? press ctrl + S", or "you can switch hands by pressing the page up key"? Ever think to yourself, man, that's not useful at all or dang, isn't that really outdated? is that even a thing anymore?  Or maybe even just hm, I wish I could contribute to this cool and useful pool of tips!, maybe? Well, here's your chance.  We'd like to ask you for your wisdom and input on what tips and tricks should be shown! While it may only take you a couple minutes to come up with a bit of advice, for newer players who see them at roundstart, it could mean a world of difference. 

I've attached .dmi's of a human and all our current hair sprites your convenience. Similarly, the current pool of roundstart hints is spoilered below. As far as logistics go, feel free to make as many submissions as you'd like (preferably all in one post), to one or both categories. However, please do select a single submission as the one you'd like to go towards the voting phase. Voting will be conducted as usual, with three winners and the usual prizes (a Gannets sticker and a medal). Extremely ridiculous (this is more relevant to the tips + hints category than the hair one) submissions will be disqualified. Otherwise, all qualified submissions will be added to the game (perhaps with some tweaks, which you will be notified of!). 
If you think this contest is particularly cute or neat, please thank Pali, as he suggested this month's categories! queen greater domestic space-bee

And if you'd like to provide suggestions or feedback for this or future contests, please feel free to reach out on Discord and let us know! Thank you again for being a part of the Goonstation community! Have a wonderful January, and we hope to see your submission(s) soon! Morty 

You can step over crates by click-dragging yourself onto them.
Hold space and click on a tile to throw your current item there
You can switch hands by pressing the Page Up key.
Hold Alt and click on something to examine it.
Hold Ctrl and click on a nearby object to start pulling it.
You can drop your current item by pressing the Home key.
You can toggle throw mode on and off by pressing the Delete key.
Hold Ctrl and press F to fart. All the cool kids are doing it.
If you suspect someone's being shit, adminhelp it with F1.
Admins can always see adminhelps no matter whether they are currently on the server or not.
Admins may not be able to give you feedback about certain subjects, IE identities of traitors.
Anyone who intentionally put "Hitler" in their name is adminhelpable.
Don't forget your PDA has a built-in flashlight.
Lie down on the ground and hit Resist if you're on fire to try and extinguish it.
Make sure the AI is actually alive before asking it for help.
You can pass by people when both parties are on Help intent.
Dying is not uncommon. Don't get frustrated if it happens to you.
If the current server has too many players, try out a different one.
Soda, candy, smokes, and coffee can help you recover from stuns more quickly. Check the vending machines!
Hard drugs can give you a major advantage in combat, if you're willing to face the risks.
Never trust a vigilante. They're probably committing all sorts of crimes too.
If you encounter someone murdering another player, don't just take their word for it if they say it's okay.
People who use the word 'shitsecurity' should always be messed with. Always.
Killing bad dudes isn't always necessary. Sometimes it can be much more fun to publicly shame them.
Safecracking and loot-hunting in space derelicts can pay off very well.
Most departments have credit-transfer cardswipes if you want to charge for goods and services.
If someone is dying near you, clicking them with an open hand on Help intent will perform CPR. Keep clicking!
Something scary happen in front of you? Hit CTRL-S.
Chat with your coworkers and neighbors! Friendly players tend to get rescued more often.
Chat with your enemies too! Fights are more fun with some buildup and interpersonal tension, silent fights are less satisfying.
Space exploration can be very dangerous. Teams often survive longer than individuals.
In the mood for adventure? Offer to join a Telescience expedition. You'll probably die horribly, but it might be fun!
Hats or helmets can increase your chances of survival.
The sleeper beds outside of Medbay can help stabilize dying people if the doctors are busy or missing.
The cryo tubes in Medbay are excellent for healing most types of damage. They can also be sabotaged in fiendish ways.
You can inject food items with syringes for mischief and crime.
If you're a traitor, helping people and gaining trust first will make your eventual betrayals all the more entertaining.
Look around for Beepsky or the guardbuddies before you take traitor weapons out in public.
Beware the syndicate drones out in the asteroid belt.
Stuck in space? Throwing an item will propel you in the opposite direction.
Need more supplies for your workplace? Check your PDA for the supply request program, or use one of the supply consoles near the cargo belts.
The cargo routing system is great for quick escapes.
Antagonist status is rolled before job selection, so if you have Security Officer or Head of Security set as your favorite job, you can still be selected to be a bad guy!

Attached Files
.dmi   human.dmi (Size: 623 bytes / Downloads: 174)
.dmi   human_hair.dmi (Size: 34.24 KB / Downloads: 182)
Here's my attempts at tips:

"You can press V to put on clothing items or place things in your belt slot if possible." (This one's my current pick for the voting phase.)

"You can drop items by pressing Q, if you have WASD Mode enabled in the Game->Interface menu in the top left" (Too long?)
"Don't wanna be spontaneously naked and drop everything on the ground? Click the inventory button with your item to quick swap clothing and equipment."

I still remember introducing my brother to the game and one of the first things I heard was "Okay, I guess I'm naked now". I doubt he's the only one affected.
"Death isn't the end! There are many ways to be brought back to life and many things to do while a ghost!"
"The medical computer can list a person's traits, no more accidental puritan cloning!"
"Want to help ? Geneticists might have an interest in checking your genes for cool stuff! Hop down to medical research."
"Are you done for and yet your body just keeps on living ? Use the 'succumb' command to hasten your demise so you can start observing."
"Looking for a job ? Go to the Head of Personnel's desk for a job change, or ask over the radio if you can be of help."
"New around here ? Botany might be a good starting job, check the wiki page or ask your coworkers for assistance."
"Bored ? Come to the bar and have a chat with other crewmembers over a drink."
"While pulling an object, you can move it to the side by clicking adjacent tiles."
"Firearms are a very rare sight on station, if you want to defend yourself then you'll need to get creative!"
"You can transfer the contents of an item or fluid container to another container (or to the floor) by holding it and click-dragging from one to the other!"
Disheveled Mess
[Image: AT4VQ0g.jpg][Image: S3up5EH.jpg]
[Image: SUHN6BO.jpg]
[Image: C2a3EWZ.jpg][Image: 0fuXSl9.jpg]

The DMI :D
Here's a few tips

“Robots are friends! Try asking a helpful cyborg for assistance!”

“Fanny packs are the backpacks of belt wear!”

“Have you explored your PDA? It has useful tools that can help you do your job!”

“One man’s trash might just be your treasure. Check out the disposals room to see what (or who) might be waiting to be crushed!”

“The AI is watching, you better behave!”
is secret content off-limits? i have a whole plaintext file full of riddles regarding adventure zones (and a few points of interest in the debris field)

You can often get a sentence reduced or even negated entirely by just cooperating with Security.
We were all new once, be patient and guide new players in the right direction.
Dissolve your bath bombs in the tub before drawing water, and use a sponge to extract the contents. Don't ask me how they can dissolve in thin air.
You can interact with player pianos that are diagonal to you, even if they're blocked by something on both cardinal sides, such as more player pianos.
The paint vendor has a chance to actually become operational once you repair it. Honest.
Light cyborg arms still work in bot construction. Mass-produce Amusing Ducks for a limitless source of toys, and a limitless source of frustration from everyone else in a 20-mile radius!
You can put pizza in the material processor. Make a weapon and eat the evidence, the perfect crime!
There's more records to play than just the ones in the radio station. Go explore!
About to die? No doctors around in Medbay? Eat the lollipops. They contain very small amounts of healing chemicals, but it might just be enough to save your life.
Nobody ever checks the tanning bed.
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.
hotkeys can help you switch hands, put on clothes and even turn on welders faster! use the "hotkeys" command for a list (and turn on WASD mode to use them)
Heart 
Fun Bun:

[Image: tJHblud.png][Image: hHrKXIZ.png][Image: g6UTvJj.png]

Click me for the DMI :D
"Don't like being detained? The Resist button can help you wiggle out of a bind!"
"You never know what you might find in-between the cushions of some couches!"
"The power of Prayer can help or harm, depending on who or what hears it!"
"It's dangerous in space, don't forget oxygen!"