Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nerf sacrificial dagger + sacrificum sigil.
Ritual chalk has been added (some people divulged that a way to get it without admin action, but after some talks, Keelin said he was going to disable it until chalk for time being after I initially made this post), and sure it is hella cool except for one thing: if you attack someone with a sacrificial dagger over a sacrificum sigil (which you draw with ritual chalk), the victim will instantly die and be erased, with no body or brains to recover. They don't have to be stunned or anything, simply lying on the ground; I was able to do this on a corpse, I saw someone suicide and then delete their body by quickly doing this while they were dying, and SaccharineChampion told me about a round where someone went around slipping people and killing them this way.

Now, for one, as SaccharineChampion mentioned, this has basically no counterplay. This doesn't involve any chems, so unlike say freeze or dragon's breath, you can't try to purge it from your system. This doesn't involve any pathogens either, so unlike the gibbing or deadly chills/fever symptoms, so there's nothing to try to cure. (I mean, I guess death is kinda an ailment...?) There's no cooldown. It doesn't come at any cost to you, aside from obviously time. 

But the biggest thing to me is that it's absolutely unnecessary. Ritual chalk has a lot of things going for it; with it, you can repressurize rooms quickly, heal people en masse, and make cute and adorable elemental bees. An instant kill that also destroys the body absolutely does not fit into any of this, and it does not need this kind of power to be relevant.

What would I specifically like? Really, I'm be fine with just throwing it out. I don't see any purpose in it aside from killing people, and ritual chalk does so much that I don't think it needs to be able to do that. If we really need a murdery use for ritual chalk, I'd definitely change to it to just remove a heart (or maybe just an random organ, including heart, if that's maybe too much) and maybe require at least as many sigils as the basic summon-a-bee ritual (which needs anchor, evoco, apis, plus energy source--4 sigils).

Since a couple of people have discussed some issues with some of the coders themselves at the personal level, I also want to make it clear I have no beef with the person responsible for this functionality. I'm not annoyed or angry at them. I'm just confused, and I don't see their logic behind this feature .
One hundred percent agree, and I stand by everything you mention me saying. (And re:counterplay of other things, at least for the pathogens you can get prescanned - if somebody's out there stealth-sacrificum, there's no way to communicate what's going on, to know how to prepare, or even really let others know what's going on so they can react.)

I love ritual chalk but for this one feature. I love the different, decidedly less lamely lethal spells, such as those you listed.

I'd also think it could just be removed - if not, my thought was damaging the victim. (Heart removal still worries me a bit, but it's definitely got precedent). That, or only working on corpses.
Yeah, this is all more or less what I said already on the discord. I thoroughly love all the effects of ritual chalk but sacrificum. Instantly deleting a player with the click of a button is waaaay too overkill for an item that potentially anybody can get.

I'd be cool with it if it worked on corpses or simply damaged a live victim, if it was not outright removed altogether.
This is the only place I've heard this problem described, based on what you said it seems pretty clear that this is a bug and not a feature.

I'll be moving this to the bug report subforum.
Heyo, thanks for reporting this. The stuff shouldn't have been accessible yet in any case but i messed up.
The recipe is disabled now and i've looked into the problem.
I made a mistake in the logic of the component and it wasn't working as intended (only downed people).
However, even with the fixes it seems a bit much so i'm currently considering other options like suicide only etc.
Thanks for the responses. I'm happy there's a possibility of this getting reworked. I have to confess that it never crossed my mind that this could actually be a bug or otherwise something unintended. I feel a little guilty for jumping to conclusions.