Ryumi's HoS Application
Usual character name: Jeni Denton
BYOND username: Gowst
Discord username (if you are on our discord): RYUMI#0018
Recommended by (if applicable): UrsulaMajor, Podrick Equus
Goon servers you play: Server 2 mostly, RP every so often

Reason for application: I thoroughly enjoy playing Security and believe that I would do well to help the department as an HoS. That, and thanks to mentors being able to play HoS on Fridays it has helped me realize through a little 'demo' of the job that I find it surprisingly fun! But of course this application is not just about me but how me being an HoS will affect other players. I've come to learn that in Security, your robustness does not matter as nearly as much as your attitude does. And though I may only be passably robust, I think my attitude is solid all around! It is after all okay to get your butt handed to you as an officer! That just comes with the job. No, what I believe matters most is how you handle other players. And since that happens to be one of my most favorite parts of playing Security, I find fulfillment in playing Security even if I get killed, as long as I helped make another player's experience more fun in one way or another.

Security experience (300 word minimum): I have played Space Station 13 since somewhere roughly around mid-2014, and didn't really play Security until 2016 when I decided being a pseudo-space-cop sounded pretty fun. My first impressions from seeing them in action and playing Security was something like this: "You're supposed to be super robust, catch all the baddies and seal away every antagonist's greentext away forever! If you do not do this every round, Jenny, you have FAILED in your job and have brought MUCH SHAME to your fellow players!" While this sounds silly and exaggerated, I kid you not this is what I legitimately thought it was supposed to be at first! So of course I hated playing it! And I inevitably gave up on the department as a whole! (Coincidentally I was mentally in a bad place at this time, so my outlook on playing in this department was poisoned a little by that.)

Cut to somewhere in late 2017, where something... clicked, in my mind. I was a ghost and watched a squad of officers get their butts HANDED to them by a group of well-coordinated nuke-ops. And to my astonishment, the officers were not lamenting over how the station was doomed... They were laughing, commenting on how fun of a fight that was! These officers had fun... despite losing! "Wait," the anxious beast in my mind cried in shock, "You can LOSE as an officer... and still have fun despite not being able to save people and stop the baddies any more?! HOW DO I LEARN THIS SUPERPOWER?!" So my training began in playing Security on and off for the next couple of years.

My personal life progressed considerably, I learned the ability to mellow out and calm down (I guess that comes with entering your '20s huh?) And, I figured out that strange phrase in Dwarf Fortress: "Losing is fun!" I learned to laugh at the ridiculousness of some of my deaths, and to smile and enjoy the company of other players as I realized that at the end of the day, we all join this server to have a good time. I remember that lesson whenever I play an officer, and I came to realize that my least favorite part of our job is issuing punishments or sentences. I simply do not like callously locking folks helplessly behind bars for who knows how long, because I know it sucks to get locked up. So ironically, over the years I've loosened and lightened up considerably whenever I play Security. At the end of the day I realized I just wanna chat folks up, maybe save them from some baddies, and help them have a good time.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players? Your attitude and socialization are your most important assets as an officer. It's a job where you will inevitably be doing a lot of talking if you want to get anywhere. Keep a cool head and find ways to enjoy the company of the crewmembers you protect, and they in turn will enjoy yours. This also has the added benefit of them being more willing to come to your aid when you're in trouble!
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer. I am a chatterbox both with teams and when being the only officer, but how I chatter tends to be different. I focus more on coordinating with my fellow officers when a team is with me, so we can consolidate any info we find about fishy stuff... and maybe some silly chatter here and there. But when alone I instead chat up the crew at large! Ask them how they're doing, if everything's going alright with them, etc. It helps a lot to be social as a solo officer since you'll need the crew to be on your side as much as possible with no other officers to fall back on if things go wrong or you get attacked. That and it just feels a lot less lonely that way.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
    A haiku about my Security experiences:

I got robustedMy corpse turned into spidersMy final cry: " what "
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run? I had one round where on a whim I decided to do a gimmick where I would only say the word "EGG" and only deviate a little when it was VERY important. It was challenging trying to convey info to my team with my mysterious speech impediment, but we managed pretty well. I happened to do pretty well this round and saved the HoS from getting locker-spaced by the clown. Combine my performance with my dumb gimmick and eventually half the crew was following suit, yelling "EGG!" with me. Even though it was a gang round even the gang members had united with me, if only a little, in our mutual appreciation for egg.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None.
Despite a crippling weakness in her obsession with donuts, Jeni Denton is a fine security member who is always a pleasure to work alongside and interact with. She clearly understands how security should work to create fun situations, as well as having a willingness to engage in gimmicks when they aren't TOO detrimental to the crew she protects.

+1 from me, Gowst should have the beret.
Though I recall few rounds of Jeni playing sec, all of them that I can recall Jeni was very good! I think one of those may have been the EGG one, not too sure, I've got a poo memory right now. I would say that despite possibly a little bit of lack of experience, they are very much good for the beret either way in robustness, attitude, and communication!

+1
From what little I play, Jeni is a solid security officer. I can assert quite confidently from interacting outside of rounds that Jeni is not high strung or high pressure, both of which are good qualities to survive the general strain and pressure of HoSdom.

+1
Jeni has been a consistently a good security officer every time I have interacted with her, I believe she'd be a great fit for the hat

+1
From playing as an antag on a round where she was the sole security officer, to playing security with her, Jeni Denton has always been a good secoff, not too harsh with her punishments, and always fun to play with.

Also if she gets HoS she won't take the blue uniform from the locker anymore.

+1
Jeni absolutely has the stuff! She knows how to make a round fun, is frustratingly robust, and can be relied upon to exercise good judgment.

+1!
I definitely think that Jeni is not only robust and knowledgeable but has a great attitude about the game and is fun in the game. +1 !
I remember Jeni Denton. Good Security Officer. Beret them.
A solid, fun and very present Sec-off, silicon, and whatever else she tries her hand at!
I haven't played in a couple years and yet I still remember Jeni D as a fun addition to security, I give my +1 for whatever it's worth smile
Can confirm, Jeni D is good on RP as a Secoff, have been sick recently so I've not seen as much of her there as I'd like, but, definitely good, definitely worth the Hat.
From what I have seen on the RP server Jeni has the following carachteristics:

She's level headed and always know when to take stuff seriously or lightly.
I have not seen her abuse the security role even once.
She communicates efficiently with the rest of the team, a crucial aspect of the HoS role.
She always interacts with the crew.
She always has a quick and effective response to calls.

These points are the main reasons, along the many smaller ones, of why I wholeheartly recommend her to be promoted to the HoS rank, she deserves that! 
Every shift Jeni is around I enjoy her presence and know I can rely on someone competent and effective in the team.
Approved!