Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Donut 3 Mapping Thread
SO MUCH MAP MANY DONUT BECOME BIGgerrrrr

PROGRESS POST as of: April 7, 2020 @ 2:58PM

[Image: kMr0Z0I.png]
Absolutely loving the mineral magnet placement, you can just peek at miners doing miner stuff while casually walking around the station
Can't wait for it to be finished
Long have I toiled in the spriting dungeon... but at last I am free, and with my freedom comes... new wall sprites!!!!

[Image: pi59xwd.png]

I wanted some walls that had a bit more room on its walls on which I could place things, as well as walls I could give a single color to in order to give some visual variation to rooms. I still need to make the reinforced versions and teach the other walls and windows to play nice and connect to these new walls properly, but I am already pretty pleased with the results!
[Image: cNpp5vn.png]

Expect more colors than just blue in the future! Also, maybe a lack of those gaps you see in the bottom left corner of that 2nd pic (which is of the Hydroponics' hotbox back room.)

Anyways! Here's a progress report as of: April 12, @ 1:51PM:

[Image: VyWbWQq.jpg]

As you can see, progress is steady and Donut3 is looking like more of a complete map than it ever has before! I can't help but wonder what this map is gonna be like in practice if it gets brought in...

(04-09-2020, 08:13 AM)Gogorow Wrote: Absolutely loving the mineral magnet placement, you can just peek at miners doing miner stuff while casually walking around the station
Can't wait for it to be finished

Thank you! That's exactly why I placed the magnet there (and QM, to an extent...) I'm designing this map in such a way that players are likely to bump into or see each other as many times as possible without it actually being claustrophobic. Other maps, mainly Cog1 + 2, have the issue where a lot of frequented rooms (i.e. chemistry, the operating theatre, the kitchen, etc.) are all isolated from the rest of the station in the way that they are walled off from public parts of the rest of the station. I do not like that because these are rooms that players spend a lot of time in: scientists making their chem mixes, doctors treating patients, chefs slaving away at the stoves to make food for the crew, etc. And nobody will really see them except others in their department.

Like this however, players will hopefully be able to see and visit with each other a lot more often as those popular rooms are both right next to public hallways and visible to them through windows! That way rounds shouldn't feel as nearly as lonely as they tend to sometimes...
I return once more with more new walls! This time, reinforced versions!
[Image: bMnrUSb.png]

They are just as colorable as their normal versions, too!
[Image: SjSrceq.png]

These will be the new default walls used on the map. If you build a wall on Donut3 it will automatically be one of these! Also, I will be adding a way to paint walls yourself too, probably in the form of an airbrush or paint can... or both!

Some other types of walls will be here to stay though as they just look too darn good already...!
Like these lovely Engy walls!
[Image: nNNK79m.png]

More later...! Now I can focus on mapping this place again, but now with more aesthetic power! Les goooooooo!!!
It's been a while... but much has happened!!!!

PROGRESS REPORT:
[Image: jdrFA3x.jpg]

Firstly: New railings!

[Image: TfWlnb4.png]

I couldn't get the old rails to tile right or tile well enough for them to stay, so I redid them so that they would!

Also, the bar is done!

[Image: xthTenI.png]

Of course, Maintenance is gonna be spiced up quite a bit more! The point is that all the stuff here is done!
I really dig that large Maintenance space. As a Construction Worker I love such places for projects or in-between station parts in space.

On a side note - please make sure the siren helmet and fingerless gloves are in the security clothing locker. They are by far the best! <3
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

hi it's been two months of irl things keeping me away from this gosh darn donut.

BUT!!!!!
I have much to show you all in the way of progress!!

Here's a screenie of the whole map as of today:
[Image: FUMvsMa.jpg]

Firstly: New catwalk sprites!
[Image: UyerAwl.png]

Coupled with the new lighting update, maintenance is looking better and better (or worse, in the yucky aesthetic I'm going for)!

Also: Escape and the hangar are here and completed!
Also, the escape shuttle is mostly functional too!

Escape:
(ignore the 2nd apc I forgot to delete that when taking the screenie)

I really like Manta's escape because of all the open space it leaves behind, so I wondered what an indoor shuttle hangar in space would be like... and this happened!

[Image: EvRfGwi.png]

Hangar:
[Image: q9l5QD9.png]

Now that I have college out of the way (for the summer anyway,) I can continue working on this map in earnest! I expect to be finished before summer ends at the rate I'm going now!
This looks amazing!
Also, a minor addition...

I found out while testing that you can do this.

[Image: 2020-06-08_19-27-50.gif]

And yes, this also means you will be left behind if you don't escape the donut hole.
Good feature.
Goddamned fuck those goddamned rails, you did a great job making em goddamned fuck annoying, but they're kinda hard to click on, maybe make the sprite a bit bigger, more contrasty to the floors? Cus especially on non-Donut maps they really blend into the floor and then you get goddamned fuckheads like me thinking I'm lagging out again cus I cant move into a space that looks open, but its actually a rail and I'm just a blind ass fuckhead.

Also those catwalk-grates, they kinda look like grate-grates, the kind of grate that the other stations've visual-languaged as impassable, but I was totally able to run across those just fine.
Other trashy idea:
Add a hotkey that lets you jump over the nearest rail in a heartbeat.
(07-01-2020, 08:43 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Goddamned fuck those goddamned rails, you did a great job making em goddamned fuck annoying, but they're kinda hard to click on, maybe make the sprite a bit bigger, more contrasty to the floors? Cus especially on non-Donut maps they really blend into the floor and then you get goddamned fuckheads like me thinking I'm lagging out again cus I cant move into a space that looks open, but its actually a rail and I'm just a blind ass fuckhead.

Also those catwalk-grates, they kinda look like grate-grates, the kind of grate that the other stations've visual-languaged as impassable, but I was totally able to run across those just fine.

Unfortunately there's not much I can do about railings that blend into the floor, not without lightly touching some very old and borderline deprecated matsci code. The pre-made ones are colored very brightly so they pop as much as possible from the floor. The issue is player-built ones... Because matsci handles coloring those, and since they're usually built from a steel sheet, they take on this dull dark grey color that blends into the floor in a really ugly way. I'll see if there's a way I can override their color.

(07-01-2020, 08:47 PM)GORE Wrote: Other trashy idea:
Add a hotkey that lets you jump over the nearest rail in a heartbeat.

Hmm... I could do that! Perhaps the sprint key may work? I'm thinking it could have you first look for a railing in the direction you're facing, then if nothing's found look for railings in the other cardinal directions. I'll try this and see how it turns out!
Had a quick look at the map and noticed not many borg chargers across such a huge map? (unless I'm being an unobservant dumbass, very likely) Mining could definitely use one, maybe one or two dotted around maint?

Also have to say, I love that robotics starts with 2 blank modules, brilliant QoL addition! <3
So far I absolutely love the map, especially the armory! (SO MANY GUNS!) But as an HoS/keen eyed nerd, I couldn't help but notice a severe lack of rechargers across the map. I could be blind or something, but on a rev round, I searched through most of the map since I couldn't get into Security and couldn't find one. Cargo and the Bridge at the very least could use them, and definitely Mining if they don't have one.

I would also like to request some sort of Security Checkpoint be added some where on the East side of the station if you can squeeze one in. It's one of those small things that you normally don't notice in the grand scheme until it's gone, and having some kind of place you can restock and recharge your stuff at that isn't quite main security is always nice.

Otherwise, I have no other issues and like the aesthetic of the map in its current state. You've certainly managed to impress me with the map, and I thought I'd never like a Donut station, but I really enjoy this one.