Syd Sustain's Mentor Application
Quote:Usual character name: Dirk Wood

BYOND username: Syd Sustain

Discord username (if you are on our discord): Syd Sustain

Recommended by (if applicable): The very persistent (and kind smile ) Flourish

Goon servers you play: Both GoonRP and Goon (though primarily Goon recently)

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum): Hello! I am horrendous at writing these application things so please (space) bear with me! I started playing Space Station 13 in (I think) 2016, and LLJK 2 was my first ever experience with the game.

I will never forget tottering my fresh-from-spacestation13.com, greyshirted butt out of arrivals and into Cog1's bar-- barely knowing how to speak and hoping that I'd be able to at the very least get a taste of the game without being too in-the-way of other, more experienced players. Upon reaching the bar stools, I nearly soiled myself when the staff assistant seated next to me's PDA violently exploded. I remember accidentally picking up the severed arm of my greyshirted comrade as he screamed and farted (his flatulence was clearly to signify that he was in immense pain) only to have my own PDA explode seconds later. And as my newbie mind scrambled to think of some way to help my dying colleague and myself, I vividly remember hearing a series of sounds-- the comical squeak of shoes, a honk, multiple farts, and a bloodcurdling scream. Of all things, a clown had wandered into the bar. Without speaking a word, that clown grabbed hold of me with one arm, and began to drag my one-armed friend with the other. Accepting my fate, I gave in to this whimsically dressed, flatulent angel or devil, whichever he would turn out to be. And then, as if the punchline to some elaborate joke, our red-nosed savior's PDA exploded, blowing off his leg! BUT THE CLOWN PERSISTED. He dragged us, slow as hell, bleeding, battered, burnt, all the way to the med bay, where he dropped us off without a word, and then vanished (with a honk and a fart) into the maintenance tunnels. I remember being tended to by a doctor (I had only sustained minor injuries) while my staff assistant friend's arm was being reattached, wondering if the heroic clown would be alright. Just as the doctor finished healing my wounds and gave me the all-clear, the corridor outside of medical burst into a brilliant blue fireball. Fire alarms blared and my staff assistant friend rushed from the operating room to see what had happened. Chaos ensued and by the time I could figure out what was going on, I was in the escape hallway, burnt badly alongside my comrade, floundering. I had no clue what the hell was happening, people were dying left and right and the flames were drawing closer and closer by the second. And then I heard a familiar, yet unfamiliar ensemble of sounds-- a very robotic sounding fart, a honk, and the quick squeaking of shoes. Something part clown, part machine emerged from the darkness of the maintenance tunnels, honking and farting with his mechanically augmented ass enthusiastically. At that point, I had tears in my eyes, I was laughing so hard that I fell out of my chair and for the first (and likely only) time in my life ACTUALLY rolled around on the floor laughing. I told that story to everyone who would listen, seriously. And yet, I was so intimidated by the grandiose and seemingly complicated-as-heck game that was SS13. It took me probably a full year to get over my fear of interacting with players thinking that I'd be a nuisance due to my incredibly limited experience. And now that I've been playing for a while, I want to be able to show new players that it's okay to be clueless. It's okay to ask questions and make new discoveries, because in a way, I think that's what makes this game and community so awesome. I think that's Goonstation.

And to supplement the long-winded and possibly completely-unrelated-to-this-application paragraph above, I'll talk about what I know mechanics-wise and what I have yet to learn! I'm pretty well-versed in all of the duties surrounding the bar-- I can cook a mean pizza pie pizza pie pizza pie pizza pie pizza cake, mix some pretty good, non-deadly alcoholic beverages and mop up all of your drunk spewings of the mouth afterwards! I know my way around medicine (though I still have to consult the wiki for the new organ-related surgeries!) and swear by hypospray. I love to play genetics even if I'm slow with getting the genes to the booth, and I can put together a borg with relative ease. When it comes to science, I can do artifact research, mix combustible gases and fart around with chemistry (safely). While I'm pretty green to the engineering roles, I've been mentored by some awesome folks recently on setting up the TEG, as well as Oshan's vent capture whatchamajigs and Manta's singularity. I also love mining and quartermastering and dabbling with the nanocrucible and nanofabricators. I will admit that I'm not super familiar with AI or security roles, but I am definitely planning on spending more time with them to figure out their intricacies!

Thanks so much for taking the time to read through this disorganized mess, I'm looking forward to seeing your response!

Also, HAPPY ASS DAY!

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): I do not think that I have any bans on record!
Fantastic app, fantastic player. Dirk Wood is always someone I look forward to seeing around the station. Syd is super fun, friendly, and helpful, and they'd make a great mentor! queen greater domestic space-bee
Love the app and I've never had a bad encounter with Dirk so +1 from me.
Yupyupyup no bad experiences here +1
Plays a lot, lots of good experiences with Dirk. +1
Dirk wood be a good mentor
I don't have too many memories of Dirk Wood, but every once in a while, I see someone talk about how much fun they had with them in OOC, so that's a plus. They might not have a specialty, but they do know all the jobs new people often take and the mechanics new ones often ask about quite well, and that to me is just as good. Plus, they have a good altitude towards newbies, and I think wanting to their help feel better about their lack of experience is a noble cause. Yes for me.