Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[NSS Manta Storyline] The Expedition
Observed this one; I thought I'd be popping in like every so often to collect logs, but I was so intrigued I was watching the entire time. I was also expecting a Dagon-type tale about discovering a temple to alien, eldritch gods, and I'm glad those expectations didn't prevent me from enjoying a story about an expedition finding some ruins and discovering that the mysterious beings that inhabited them are far, far from dead.

Speaking of said beings, I love how they relate to the lore, specifically the subtle nods to the Polaris (green lights, huh...), the similarities to the Flockmind (signals, energy/data-based beings that pilot mechanical vessels, furniture that resembles human furniture but not quite, wicked good spritework) that fuel endless speculation, and the possibility that, as someone pointed out, the NanoTrasen and the Syndicate might unite against them, despite their increasing tensions.

As for the event itself? I found it quite well-paced. It began with a scout team of probe bots to foreshadow the beings yet to be seen. After they're dealt with, the station crew set foot in the ruins shortly afterwards, and after a comfortably short walk, discover a computer room, accidentally triggering the defense system. After a brief firefight, they find a computer explaining the societal structure of the beings they just killed...and that another group of said beings have also blocked their portal out. Pacing kinda bogged down during the attempts to bring up back the portal, but maybe it's just because I wasn't involved in the action as an observer. The station crew seemed occupied enough with both getting Telescience back online and dealing with the sudden manifestation of mechs with miniguns in Medbay, and despite of the lack of the threats (or maybe because of), the away team was busy dying and losing limbs to the lava. (How very SS13-y...) Overall, I think the narrative had just the right tempo and struck a good balance between being admin- and player-driven.  

Favorite moments: Emily Claire attempting to order a probe bot like a normal cyborg, lots of silly weirdness with the lava (why did a PORTAL get burned?), and the station crew discussing to how to confront the mechs like teens in a monster movie.

Messages In This Thread
[NSS Manta Storyline] The Expedition - by Azungar - 12-11-2019, 03:52 PM
RE: [NSS Manta Storyline] The Expedition - by Studenterhue - 12-21-2019, 08:51 PM