Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[NSS Manta Storyline] The Expedition
It has been a few months since NSS Manta first started its journey. It's first mission being investigating the mysterious sinking of NSS Polaris. A few dozen brave spacemen and spacewomen ventured into the crevice that had swallowed the mysterious cargoship whole. While the evidence strongly towards the Syndicate to be responsible for sinking the ship and stealing whatever valuable cargo it contained, leaving whatever NSS Polaris carrying shrouded in mystery, even to the most high ranking Nanotrasen officers. 

The wounds have not certainly healed with time as small, ever-growing conflicts have begun all around Abzu. While NSS Manta continues to prowl the waters around Oshan and doing it's best to keep the laboratory safe, not every story revolves around conflict. The planet itself is still very much unexplored and not much is known about its origins or if there is sentient life still hiding amongst it. 

That is exactly where you come in. A sunken temple near Oshan Laboratory has been discovered and Nanotrasen has funded a private exploration team to venture deep into this extremely odd-looking ruin and hopefully find some answers to its origin. There is not much information to go around as everything regarding this ruin has been classified eve on the highest security clearances. Although, Nanotrasen has received that you won't be the only team that is venturing inside these ruins as rather reliable information has almost confirmed that the Syndicate is making a move on it. Be prepared, for who knows what you might find?

So right, hello and sorry for the long hiatus. I promised some stories and events that would tie in nicely with the Manta storyline that is on-going. So you can class this as a mix of a spin-off and a teaser for something -bigger-, much bigger. 

This will be held on Goon RP server on 21th of December. Starting at 23:00 UTC time. (You can check UTC time here. - https://time.is/fi/UTC)
The event will be more focused on the atmosphere, the interaction between players with some mystery and a few juicy lore bits. If you are itching for an event with a lot of action and while this has some in the exploration it is not focused on action. 

If you are interested in joining, I ask you to fill the following registration form and reply with it in this same post. 

Your characters name:
Your role in the expedition team: (Feel free to be imaginative here, if you are wanting to play a clown, you could let me know as who you are pretending to be during the expedition.)
What you are hoping to find in the ruin:
Small write-up of your characters known background: so people can look back into this thread and have some information about your character. Something that could spark conversation or arguments/disagreements.

Posting in this thread also works as a minor agreement to also show up. There will be some adjustments to the plotline regarding the characters that sign up so it fits and gives everyone a more important role in it. I would also like to point out that this events end result will also pave the way for the next one, as actions and consequences tend to carry on..
Oooh, how exciting! Sure, here's a little form from me:

Your characters name: Jeni Denton

Your role in the expedition team: A scientist and researcher who will analyze and document the team's findings, whatever they may be. With some nerdy know-how that goes beyond chemistry, Jeni's knowledge would make her a very helpful asset to the team. Her short attention span and excitability could make her both a valuable asset and possible hazard to the crew. She's the kind of person who would help keep the team organized and would throw herself under the bus for her friends' survival... or she'd do so in the name of SCIENCE!

What you are hoping to find in the ruin: Something otherworldly. Mysterious. Surreal.

Small write-up of your characters known background: Jeni has a history with adventuring and dabbling with objects and forces that she and no other human ought to. Her eagerness for discovery sometimes goes above her survival instincts, and has lead to her being the cause of some extremely bizarre adventures for her coworkers. What would those be? Ask her and she might tell someone if they're willing to listen to what would probably sound like a very weird lucid dream to most listeners.
Your characters name: Sergio "Buckethead" Burkett

Your role in the expedition team: CLEANUP CREW Field Medic. 

What you are hoping to find in the ruin: A treasure that can be shared with the world.

Small write-up of your characters known background: Though Sergio had initially signed up for Nanotrasen to work as a janitor, he'd cleaned up enough failed surgeries in their operating rooms to figure out what medical procedures not to perform. One day, he put on a spare medical uniform, and much to his own surprise, nobody questioned him for it... even when he started wearing a bucket helmet as a homage to his time as a janitor. He's been practicing medicine ever since. When he heard about the expedition, he signed up because he knew that most real doctors hired by NT couldn't be trusted to bandage a paper cut, much less save someone's life.
Hello! I would love to participate! i can change my character if it doesnt fit, just let me know
Your characters name: Love Slaughter;

Your role in the expedition team: Communications

What you are hoping to find in the ruin: Learning, fun, adventure, purpose in life, in that order

Small write-up of your characters known background: Love Slaughter was a communications officer on a distant space station, until the series accidents that resulted in her floating in space in a faulty cryopod for months. When rescued, Love commited a series of identity thefts posing as senators, governors of space and time, inspectors, NT directors. Was that some kind of a long con, a joke or is she going through an identity crisis? Who knows. Master of disguise, procrastination, hiding of contraband music tapes, she isn't afraid meeting danger head on, either. Having done field reports, having fought off giant mutant plants and performing other cool feats, she is experienced in close-range procrastination, too!
Your characters name: Lt. Emily Claire

Your role in the expedition team: 
Nanotrasen Special Operations - Security (NTSO-Security)
alt: Nanotrasen Security Officer (NTSO)
(depending on which one the Polaris had or which one fits the story better)

What you are hoping to find in the ruin:
"Who really cares? I'm just here to make sure that whatever's waiting for us has more bullet holes than we do"

Known background:
For detail click here

Emily's kind, but she's been withdrawn since the termination of her spouse 3 years ago. She joined NT's military operations shortly after her spouse died, but before that she was a chief engineer, having received a degree in plasmology through the NT Occupational Education program

A chain smoker, Emily is rarely seen without a cigarette. The company has informed medbay to deny any further insurance claims pertaining to lung damage.

Emily is rumored to be in the 94th percentile of employee deaths.
Your characters name: Jimmy Twotoes (James Silvestri)
Your role in the expedition team: Rat Bastard (Stowaway)
What you are hoping to find in the ruin: Either a way to escape the mafia, or a way to pay them back.
Small write-up of your characters known background: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=13013 (this is pre-Dualcore Jimmy). His pod somehow made its way to Abzu, and he slipped on to the NSS Manta. Though he might look a little suspicious with that balaclava, he assures you he's meant to be here - he's even got an ID card! ...an ID card that has "Jimy 2 toes - Sientit" written on it in crayon. Once he heard about the expedition he begged to come along, saying, "I could do all kinds'a researchin' for ya! I'll do so much researchin' it'll make ya head spin, pal!"
Accessing employee record...
Record located. Relaying data...
Datastream inbound. Initialise terminal. Prepare for reception.

Employee Name: Ada O'hara

Expedition Position: Expedition Coordination, Briefing, Equipment Handling, and Executive Liaison
Desired Outcome: "There's something out there. Something old and terribly ancient. It could be dangerous. It must be investigated. We will find out what makes it tick."
Known Background: A former CentComm administrator (this is the only prior job history on file), she elected to join the Nanotrasen Cryogenic Early Response Employee Staffing System, or NT CERES System. Since her enrollment in the program, she has been in various qualified staff positions across many Nanotrasen stations and vessels. She has an almost incomprehensibly thick Scottish accent, despite being of Irish descent.
Notice: Supplementary information inbound. 
Relaying information. Prepare for reception.

THIS INFORMATION IS CLASSIFIED LEVEL 7-0147. AUTHORIZATION REQUIRED TO CONTINUE.
Authorization accepted. Welcome, user ██████ ███

IMPORTANT NOTICE: EMPLOYEE HAS BEEN IMPLICATED IN THE █████████ ██████ INCIDENT. EMPLOYEE HAS RECORDS OF TRAVEL AT ALL NANOTRASEN INFRAVIOLET CLASS CLASSIFIED SITES. EMPLOYEE INVOLVEMENT HAS BEEN TRACED TO INSUBORDINATE DOCUMENT OE-V-7777. EMPLOYEE HAS ASSOCIATED WITH UNKNOWN PERSONS ON NANOTRASEN INFRAVIOLET CLASS CLASSIFIED SITES. EMPLOYEE HAS COORDINATED MEETINGS, EXPEDITIONS, ASSAULTS AND RESEARCH ON SEVERAL Αυτόματο, κενός, and AMONTILLADO CLASS HAZARDS, ITEMS AND KNOWN ANOMALIES WITH NT EMPLOYEES AND UNKNOWN CORRESPONDENTS. EMPLOYEE HAS A NANOTRASEN LOYALTY INDEX OF 93%.
SHE KNOWS TOO MUCH. 
Yeeey, organised RP. Inject it into my veins. Hope this is all alright:

Your characters name: Dr. Bruce Raymond Isaman

Your role in the expedition team: Doctor/Surgeon, with the expedition to assist the scientists with any biological material or cadavers. An emergency medic if needs be.

What you are hoping to find in the ruin: Alien medicine or poisons. Alternatively interesting autopsies 

Small write-up of your characters known background: 

After a brief stint in the military, Isaman took up a medical career. After ten years of experience he considers himself an expert in the fine art of keeping someone alive. However this has also made him arrogant within his field, and he has become mostly desensitized to violence and viscera. He boasts there is no illness he cannot cure, no injury he cannot fix. He is also an intermediate in chemistry, knowing the formulas of all Nanostrasen-Approved medicines (and perhaps a few poisons too). He rarely tolerates others doing their job incorrectly.

He harbors a deep hatred of monkeys, and can often be seen performing cruel experiments on them, usually citing "an advance in the field of medicine". Though an avid smoker, gambler and connoisseur of drinks, he does not indulge on company time. He's been described as "disturbingly morbid" in the workplace, and "lacking in empathy"
Hello! I hope borgs are ok, if not I'm fine changing to a person.

Model Nickname: Buttons
Model Number: LM-94672
Module: Medical

Assignment: Aid the crew in their mission to explore the deserted temple and provide medical assistance if necessary.

Desired Findings: Alive and healthy crew members.

Background: LM-94672 was designed to assist medical doctors in treating patients but was retired from the medical field after a mysterious botched surgery leading to the death of Mr. Quinn Stinton, a security officer known for his harsh detaining methods and hostility towards cyborgs. After pleads from Dr. Gavin Brown, the roboticist that built LM-94672, LM-94672 was not disassembled. LM-94672 was instead repurposed as a general aid cyborg helping out the crew in various acts.
Your characters name: Aisling Jaslene Wilkins

Your role in the expedition team: A Paid Guard and Glorified Cat herder here to keep the nerds and eggheads from killing themselves, each other, the planet, the timeline as we know it, and from staring objects that are best not stared at for hours at a time.

What you are hoping to find in the ruin: Hopefully, nothing, so we can go home. I get paid the same regardless.

Small write-up of your characters known background: Aisling was known from time to time as a Private Eye, when the work on the station slowed down, which lead to her meritorious conduct award for significant valor in the line of duty, due to the incident on Athena Docking Port 9100 where she was able to single-handedly prevent a team of Syndicate Special Operatives by shooting them as they exited their pods, causing the ones inside the pod to stop to fire at her, at which point the SEED exploded detonating them. Rumors abound informally over just how much she did during this event, but, the SEED was positioned to take out the camera network and memory banks, so there is no way to know for sure what went on that day. Since this event in 2042, she has been condemned to relative backwaters due to bureaucratic mismanagement, and sees guarding this expedition as her way back into the gilded cage.
Your characters name: Murdina Edgley

Your role in the expedition team: Head chef, in charge of keeping the team fed and their morale high. Possibly also some sort of animal management.

[b]What you are hoping to find in the ruin:
[/b] Treasure, money, something worth money, or just something generally nice to take and put on her mantlepiece. Some sort of exotic ingredient or foodstuff to take back and sell or serve would also be pretty nice. Getting home without dying

Small write-up of your characters known background: Murdina is a black-haired green-eyed 25-year-old caucasian. For all intents and purposes, she's an unassuming character. She is not quite as ordinary as she appears though, and is capable of some pretty fucked up things if she needs to. The only real hint to this besides actually witnessing her do "something pretty fucked up" is the subtle look of someone who has seen some shit™ in her eyes. She's a bit of a crook, altruistic when it suits her, and enjoys interacting with animals.

Note: Murdina is a sort of character template that I inject into appropriate settings to see how she as a character can adapt. A hard rule with her is that she can never warp reality to suit her canon, what little of it there is. She must adapt to the setting she is placed into. She's typically supposed to be a very mechanically minded person (literally a car mechanic), but because I'm still kinda new to SS13 and I don't know anything about mechanic work or construction, I've decided to omit this detail, among several others.

The above note isn't at all important to this application, but I figured it might be interesting to at least one person.
(A borg)
Your characters name: M-37-M-01
Your role in the expedition team: Valuables extraction and scouting
What you are hoping to find in the ruin: Anything of monetary value
Small write-up of your characters known background: M-237-M-01 is one of the first few borgs produced by an up-and-coming robotics manufacturer employed by Nanotrasen. It is designed to take dangerous orders without difficulty - of course, it won't get into a dangerous situation of its own volition, per its laws - but is cheaply made so as not to be a terrible loss should it get destroyed. It is outfitted with mining equipment for the sake of exploration and for storing any valuables found undersea, to make the expedition, if nothing else, a monetary gain.
Your characters name: Selys Voraes
Your role in the expedition team: Expedition Quartermaster, making sure that the squad is equipped for whatever we find in the deep.
What you are hoping to find in the ruin: Something that'll get her recognized by Central Command
Small write-up of your characters known background: Selys is young lizard trying to make a name for herself in NanoTrasen. She was brought to Abzu her sister a few years ago, and is clearly lying when she talks about her past before coming to NT-controlled space. Passed her 'interspecies sensitivity training' with a score of 83. Uncomfortable around bees and terrified of wasps.
Your characters name: Liliy Rothchild
Your role in the expedition team: Safari Hunter. Aims of seeking glory and trophies no one has ever hunted before, will be the first to bring it back home and gloat to her friends.
What you are hoping to find in the ruin: A unique game monster to show off to the world! Will pack a punch to anything or anyone standing in her way. Maybe even a more effective weapon to hunt things within the ruins?.... If a unique item is there, it will be hers and only hers to keep
Small write-up of your characters known background: Raised by an aristocratic family getting everything she wanted but friends. Wants to see the world and meddle with all sorts of affairs! Has a taste and thrill of the hunt, something or someone more dangerous you say? Ha not for much longer. Can start to become more volatile if things do not go her way and will start to snap.Will be hostile if too many disagreements happen but showing signs of it as time continues.
Ooo, I like the look of this, and so do plenty of others, im in.

Character Name: Ryan Colin Yeets

Expedition Team Role: Staff Assistant / Extra pair of hands

Hopes to find: "Eh, not much, I heard there was some expedition going on and thought it might need the extra pair of hands. I don't really care what we find unless its something that'll result in us all dying horribly."

Known Background: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=13508