Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
New chem - Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO)
DMSO is used in medical industry to transfer certain drugs through skin that normally would absorb poorly. In SS13, it could be used to allow any chemical applied with it in a Touch reaction to penetrate skin (maybe only 0.5 per unit splashed, not trying to be crazy here). I think it could allow for a great many new diabolical scientist concoctions.
An interesting note about DMSO is that it tends to produce a garlic-like taste in people's mouths when applied to skin, even if the application is nowhere near their mouth. This could be a way to cue people to know that they've been dosed with it.
I think we kinda have functionality like this already with the way patches work. You can make any chemical be absorbed through the skin via chemical patches from the chemmaster, but if the chemical isn't on the medical whitelist it takes time for someone else to apply it to you. It's just that most people don't do it that way because pills do the same thing, carry more reagents, and deliver their dose instantly.

The only thing I think your suggestion might significantly add is if it works in chemsmoke. Except that there's a reason why most chems in chemsmoke don't work like sarin... they'd get pretty obnoxious if they all acted like sarin and you couldn't counter them with just a mask + internals. There are plenty of obnoxious chemsmokes already without making them even stronger.

In short, I'm not exactly sure what your suggestion really adds, or if it adds something that non-chemnerds will really want to deal with.
Someone needs to study flamer science if they want this. Flamers make every chem penetrate skin.