Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Make random event antags more common
Okay making this thread again now that I'm actually awake enough to post it in the right forum.  I hope.

Random event antags are pretty rare right now, and given the unreliability of latejoin antags (which aren't even in wizard rounds IIRC and wizards often get wiped out fast) you can end up with no antags, or at least no antags doing anything, for the majority of the round.  On lowpop rounds you also sometimes end up with a single, heavily armed antagonist that no one can really fight killing everyone a few minutes after they join, which isn't really fun for anyone except the antag.

What I propose is that random event antagonists be made more common, perhaps with the chance increasing the longer the round goes on.  I think this will make rounds generally more interesting and likely to last longer since random event antags can prevent the "station is in good shape but almost everyone is bored as hell" reason to call the shuttle.  It should also make it less likely that people will leave when they die, which isn't a problem per se but is certainly annoying for doctors.

Also, maybe people will actually earn the PredatorHunter medal.

The original post was much better written than this but I was half asleep, posted it in the wrong forum, and somehow managed to forget that threads can be moved on forums and deleted it.  C'est la vie.
Yeah it would be nice to have this. I had suggested it on discord a long time ago but it seems no one wanted it at the time.
The formula of this should be 

% chance of late antag (> RND Time) = 1 +  (% of dead antags - dead nonantags)

To explain this nonsense, after a certain threshold in time (random, but probably should be locked into random time between 30-45mins), it will check the station ratio of dead baddies to dead civvies. 

The station that's depopulated by chaos isn't going to get another antag thrown into the mix*

But a station that has a bunch of baddies killed and is now stagnant has a high chance of late antag(s). 

While a station that has had a bit of a skirmish, with maybe 1-2 antags dead but also a lot of civilians really can go either way. 

*You probably noticed the 1 there, this means in every scenario there's always going to be at least 1 late antag after a certain amount of time. The formula would calculate if there's a % chance of spawning ANOTHER antag as well. 

To put it very simply - station doing well? Here's two antags, prepare thy self. Station doing poorly? Have 1 antag, pray they're unrobust. 

This mindnumbing maths has been brought to you by sleep deprivation.
I think the only problem I have with that kind of formula is on lowpop if the one antag is dead and all the non-antags are alive it instantly creates the random event. Seems like even with all the antags dead and the station in good shape it shouldn't be instantly assaulted by another antag. Also makes the random spawn kind of meta-able.
I mean there are always going to be people meatgaming if they can even if its against the rules.