Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Major Wraith frequently locks up with black screen
I was using the most up to date beta release as of Saturday Nov 16.

I had a mostly fun wraith round on Saturday that was marred by frequently locking up with a black screen forcing a byond restart. When loading back in my wraith character would spawn at 1,1 and I would have to move back to the station manually. It seemed to be caused while going through walls, but maybe not just that? I feel like it may have had to do with hiding and then showing tiles based on line of sight but I might be crazy.

This was the round I believe: http://goonhub.com/rounds/80516
I had this happen to be once about two weeks or so ago. I'm pretty was I was still in 513.1496. I got the black screen only once though that wraith round though, and I got it after using Haunt to manifest somewhere.
This sounds awfully familiar to this: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=11149

Not sure how related it is, but sounds like a problem from some kind of recent wraith fix.
Can confirm. This happened to me twice in the last round I played, and once before then. I've no idea what causes it, but it is really quite annoying.
this happened to me too, i had an admin tell me i was teleported out of the station somehow when i ahelped it, could be that
(11-30-2019, 11:17 PM)FentonStraub Wrote: this happened to me too, i had an admin tell me i was teleported out of the station somehow when i ahelped it, could be that
You were presumably teleported to 1, 1, 1, which is part of the bug.
It would be nice if there was an easily replicatable test case for this bug.
I've been doing some wraith things lately and have not encountered it on my own. I can say that it is very unlikely for it to be related to the wraith's blind bug.
The next time it occurs definitely ahelp or discord pm me and i can take a look at the logs to see what broke.
I took a peak at code\mob\wraith.dm in the 2016 release, and it seems this sequence of code (lines 192-197) is culpable:

Code:
Move(var/turf/NewLoc, direct)
     if (loc)
          if (!isturf(loc) && !density)
              loc = get_turf(loc)
     else
          loc = locate(1,1,1)
What this doesn't explain is why the wraith's loc is getting set to null in the first place.

get_turf() is presumably responsible, though I don't know why, nor if the bug is even present in the 2016 release.