Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordyceps

It'd be neat if the biodome, or that upcoming underground lava base had a mushroom enemy that when killed bursts spores out, and anyone not in a bio-suit will get infected and start growing fruiting bodies all over, causing toxic damage until they die, or are treated. If left untreated, the dude will gib and leave a couple of the mushroom mobs (or burst into spores and infect everyone around him).
neat idea but i hate having control being wrested away from my character
babayetu83 Wrote:neat idea but i hate having control being wrested away from my character

I didn't say you'd ever loose control, it'd just be like having baby spiders in you, eventually you'll pop and turn into mobs
Why have these become so popular in the past few days? Everywhere I go it seems like people are talking about them.

It does sound like it could be fun, especially if it could simply be an illness instead of a mob. Just give it a random (rare) chance to infect a single person. As the disease progresses, the victim constantly takes toxin damage that quickens the more infected they are, but also leaves increasingly-easier-to-notice sprites all over their body.

If they fail to cure before they die/reach the max level of the disease, they become infectious and pass the disease to people randomly as bursts of spores spurt out of their body.

It should be curable by medbay, and should probably be either a rare illness or a hidden random event.
maybe it it could be a botanist traitor item and work sort of like the sleepy pen but make it just toxin damage and a you will be able to see spores if you dont have a shirt on
herpmcderp Wrote:maybe it it could be a botanist traitor item and work sort of like the sleepy pen but make it just toxin damage and a you will be able to see spores if you dont have a shirt on

No it'd be way too easy to kill everyone/have it cured instantly and your traitor round be boring, it'd be more fun as something that can happen to you away from the station, so that by the time you get back on station you're so close to exploding that there is a 50/50 chance you'll either get cured or explode and infect dudes on the station.
Cordyceps are everywhere because The Last of Us used them as a basis for zombies and so they're big in popular culture at the moment.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:Cordyceps are everywhere because The Last of Us used them as a basis for zombies and so they're big in popular culture at the moment.

Oh I haven't even looked at that game. But if so, that makes it even better. This game is full of pop-culture references.
If it were a traitor item, why not make it act sort of like mindslaving? After the first level of infection you get a big red goal-change message along the lines of "conceal your infection and try to infect as many other people as possible as you die"?
ClockworkCupcake Wrote:If it were a traitor item, why not make it act sort of like mindslaving? After the first level of infection you get a big red goal-change message along the lines of "conceal your infection and try to infect as many other people as possible as you die"?

Cus that'd totally be out of the hands of the traitor, that's like getting the artistic tool box and every time you kill one guy you give it to someone else.
I think cordyceps would be a fun game mode for about one round.

Avoid getting bit, but also avoid breathing in dead zombie gas without a gas mask because otherwise you become infected.

After the novelty wears off people will hate it.

I don't see much room for expansion from don't get bit, and infect everyone.

It will end up with someone playing agent orange and setting several rooms on fire/filling them with sulpheric acid gas. And probably ai locking people in rooms cause law 1.
It's probably just a coincidence, but I am making a map that's a research facility for syndicate traitor equipment.
There's 3 sectors as such, each with prototype items, and seen as the map is a pandora-esque alien land, alien cordyceps would be a neat idea as part of the formula for mindslave implants.
I'll leave a few horribly malformed syndicates dotted around the map that'll burst into spores if you attack them, infecting you, and thus you need a cure which can only be found in the medical part of the sector, which is guarded by more horribly infected syndicates (dun dun duuuun!)
If you get far enough in that sector, you could get your hands on a prototype mindslave, which injected into a poor unsuspecting person, makes them a mindslave for 10 minutes, then it completely corrupts them and turns them completely against their master.