Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ASS DAY feedback, evolution, ideas. [Gimme Your Thinks]
(11-17-2019, 05:37 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Why change Ass Day? Just put something new on another day.

Because a whole lot of people have expressed dissatisfaction with the current state of low-effort grief on Ass Day, and a significant chunk of the population just sits out for the day. New content is fine and all, but does nothing to fix Ass Day. If you think it's fine as it is you're free to say so, but so do other people who don't care for it.
Don’t fix what ain’t broken. It’s just one day if people can’t handle absolute chaos for one day I don’t know what to tell them. When I was active I would almost always and only play on assday as the day by day normal rounds get too boring and I missed the chaos of the old age.

More event days would benefit everyone if you ask me though.
If someone doesn't have fun on that day then they don't need to play on that specific day. People don't need to play every single day. Good day to take a break if low effort grief day that is specifically labelled as such is too much for them
Why not make people a little more naturally physically robust on ass day? Something simple like higher health pools, better stamina, etc. Seems like making people a bit harder to kill would be an alright bandaid for the whole problem of "i got stabbed to death immediately and get to be a ghost for the next 10 minutes"

edit: Additionally, GUARANTEE the emergency supplies box in the backpack to contain a small oxy tank along with the mask.
(11-18-2019, 08:17 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: If someone doesn't have fun on that day then they don't need to play on that specific day. People don't need to play every single day. Good day to take a break if low effort grief day that is specifically labelled as such is too much for them

this, ass day is a goon staple and shouldn't be reworked to appease people who'll play the next day
idk "its a tradition" doesnt mean much if it sucks for everyone whos not an ultra robust turbonerd grief master i guess? like, i get it, you get to ttv or canbomb or just punch everyone who pisses you off, but it could be a lot more too i think. like, i didnt get much out of assday when i played because it seemed like it was the same people doing the same thing for 24hrs. bomb ghost droke factory, kill everyone with the chems from the russian derilect, repeat.
It's not really a goonstation "staple", it's been going on for 3 years - which is fairly recent as far as this age old game goes. Of course it can be changed around.

There's the crowd (I'd probably fit into this) where nothing that you add to Assday will make me actually want to play it. I don't play SS13 for just pure unadulterated chaos. Emphasis on the just, I do like the maddening violence, but for me it needs to naturally crescendo towards the latter stages of the round, i.e: the station slowly turning into a death trap. When the station is already a meat grinder from 0:00, it removes that sense of unease, that paranoia, that entire reason I play. 

I don't take issue with Assday though. Sitting out for a day isn't really a big issue and I have no complaints against people who enjoy it, it just ain't my cuppa. But I get that entire point of this post is trying to entice people like me. 

Things I'd like to see is more modes that make sense in the realms of Assday that encourage players that work together DESPITE grief being effectively turned off.

- Team based Battle Royal.
Nothing really to add to this. But i'd play Assday if I had a chance to give this a whirl!
- Forced Gang.
All players are spawned naturally as gang members. Throw in a few mixed antagonists so you have an angry werewolf with a toupee running at you. 
- Zombie Invasion.
Normally a mode like this is incredibly boring due to how incredibly dense mob AI can be. But if the mode had you pitted against other humans (as is Assday), there may be some interesting scenarios developing of players working together.. or working against, spreading the horde.
I personally think that ass day is very stale compared to any given regular day, especially when there's not any admins on to run gimmicks. It does get to feel very same-y when there's no gimmicks being ran, it turns into sort of a slog if admins aren't actively touching it, and lowpop late-night assday isn't really fun at all. The event itself leads to a drop in population so clearly a significant portion of the playerbase doesn't like it, so I don't see harm in trying to make it into something that more people could enjoy.

There's merit to the idea of just having it be silly modes instead of having it be a "grief day". It could have modes like the mentioned Ass Day Classic where every type of grief is allowed, and there could be more weird shit, like maybe there could be weird mashup modes like werewolf nukeops or Battle Royale or whatever bizarre goofy modes. This would add variety to the day, which is, in my opinion, the biggest flaw of assday. Hell, you could even have people vote from a list of goofy modes for the day, so that people get to do ass day the "old" way they can. Sounds like a good way to give people what they want instead of driving people off the server.

Admin gimmicks on ass day can be fun, but I very often think that they could be just as good on any other day, if they really need to have everyone being able to grief we have the "make everyone an antagonist" button. We can't maintain constant admin gimmicks for 24h, so there's always gonna be the ass day slog times. Ass Jam is wonderful of course and another great way to spice it up and add variety, or at least a reason to play on the 13th. It's Very A Lot Of Work though!
ah yes, flab brings up a very good point,
gamemode voting is absolutely in the realm of possibility, and is in fact something being studied.
I do agree half the fun of Ass Day is the admin fuckery but yeah when most of the admins are just plain not around or not able to do anything fun for most of the day it's kinda lame. Thats why I had wanted to move it to like the first sunday of the month because most people have sunday off and then we would have more admins for shenanigans because they wouldn't be at work or something. Though my suggestion got booed away awhile ago so I dunno dudes.
One thing that definitely needs to be removed on assday is, no surprise here, the ghost drone factory.

Experimental gamemodes or gamemodes which wouldn't fit in regular rotation like what Sundance described sounds nice.

As said, when no admin is present it can be a bit bland.
What about this :
This is something that would need to get though out in order to even be considered, it might require a whitelist of trusted people to even hope to be able to work properly.
When no admin is present to press a button to prevent it from interfering with their shenanigans (or possibly in just a specific gamemode), having one or two random players selected to have a tiny bit of admin powers (yet nothing that would enable them to go and discover secret stuff, and logging some actions like reagent spawning / z-level restrictions) to be able to, if so desired by them and other players during the round, spice up the round in a soft way ? With a notice to at least try not to make the round more unfun for other players than it would be if it was a regular round.
The powers they get could even be selected randomly from a predefined list, to prevent (though it would already be discouraged) the same things from happening over and over and get stale.
I like the idea of it remaining the same but being moved to a new day more convenient for more admins, as Kiki suggested. It seems like we all agree it gets stale without admins on to help keep things flowing with gimmicks. Seems like it would just plain be easier and more appealing to the numerous people that have voiced it remains the same, to just move days than rework everything about it.

Voting could still be added in but just make it a gimmick vote, a hint at what direction everyone would like the next round to go. Should it be more of a boss fight work together type of round? Players VS admins? Team deathmatch? Battle Royale? Those are the things I personally would love to vote on, but the no rules free spirit feel of assday shouldn't change regardless of gamemode.

A concern I have is If someone hops on as a latejoin and isnt able to be a werewolf or a gang member or whatever silly gimmick happens to be running I dont think they should be excluded from the fun or have to pray and hope that among the chaos you see it. They should only have to abide by the same basic assday rules we've come to know. Another part of that concern is confusion if the rules change every game mode its going to be hard to keep track of whats what and some people just plain wont care turning assday into more Ahelp babysitting because some little rule that changed between battle royale and team deathmatch got broken by 17 different people. Keeping the classic assday rules the same across games modes, but letting the vote control what that game mode is would be a great balance.
Also yeah about the ghost drone factory. Ghost drones just always bum me the heck out on Ass Day. Being walled into a room randomly by a fast little jerk that doesn't die with one hit just puts a damper on stuff.
(Haven't read all of the walls of texts on this page, but here's my look on ass day)

I enjoy playing a few rounds on ass day, but after a while they get boring and most of the time I completely forget that ass day exists. What really draws me in other than the one day of anything goes play (mostly), is the admin gimmicks that come with it. I remember the older days when Zewaka and Bill would always do some cool admin gimmicks and events on ass days and you would see radical groups form to either be for or against the common good of the station and the chaos be pleasantly controlled and directed instead of aimless.

Also, blocking off things or releasing plasma for fires as a ghost drone is old news, real nerds do things the obvious way and smoke chem mixes with two beakers.
let some mentors be dungeon masters on ass day to help spice shit up? idk getting rid of ass day or even changing it sounds like total ass to me. it's literally one day out of the month. one day you can just not play. ass day's a lot of fun to newer players.