Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make Forklifts more vulnerable.
Just recently had a round as the AI where a person used a forklift to move around in my upload room to safely ignore the lethal turrets, as the turrets don't activate upon seeing the forklift.

In addition, upon bringing a shell to try and hit the person off of it, I discovered that it could also do nothing to stop them. Omnitools alone cannot actually force people off forklifts.

I'm sure there are other OP uses of forklifts, it just isn't very well known yet. I hope that this is changed as it feels about as degenerate to play against as area flashes right now.
Definitely amp up the vulnerability of drivers on forklifts. There's been a string of nerds using forklifts to get around because it offers protection from numerous elements (projectiles, chemicals, radiation) that also just don't make sense.
I believe that if nerds abuse a feature too much it should be made extremely shitty as punishment(see: krampus going from a reskinned macho man to an unkillable meatcube to a regular meatcube), so I suggest that hitting a forklift with a stun baton or stun-based projectile should cause the driver to fly out of it comically and get knocked out for 30 seconds, and that hitting the forklift with a lethal projectile should cause it to explode and instantly gib the driver.
You should have to pass a fork lift certification test before you can drive it
The Janitors buffer doesn't have this issue, despite it being a vehicle? Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm fairly certain if you get hit by a projectile, you'll get forced out.

Could port that same code over to fork lifts?
(11-11-2019, 06:41 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: You should have to pass a fork lift certification test before you can drive it

Just like Klaus?
I agree with Birb on everything they said.(Yes even the exploding forklift part because I love when things explode)
Just make it so if someone shoots it with a taser or hits with a stunbaton they get shocked and fall out and stay stunned for alittle bit. Long enough to get them I suppose.
Maybe some of the stun stuff, maybe have health similar to a pod but less, obviously, and maybe have them be cardlocked for QMs and the CE under QM console access just so some random clown can't run in and steal them. And maybe allow them to be Emagged to run people over?
Are forklifts even that useful for non-cheesy purposes? I know they can pick up crates, but they hardly seem an integral part of cargo. It might honestly be better to deep-six them altogether.
The forklifts fill a very niche role of moving large amounts of crates to a location that doesn't have a telepad.

I disagree with the explosion part of the forklift because it would make an already rarely used vehicle (aside from nerds running shit into the ground) even more unappealing to use. Would I want to risk an insta-gib trying to transport medcrates to medbay? no siree.
I also disagree with the explosion part. I think the driver being made vulnerable to attacks and the like is all that is really needed, since that's the issue. Making it "incredibly shitty" is pointless when you can just remove the part being exploited. Being able to say "haha, got you" one time each to nerds who think it hasn't been nerfed really isn't worth collectively punishing every other person who just wants to use something normally.
Besides, making it explosive would open it up to more mischief; subs are already bad enough in that regard.
To be clear, this isn't a systemic issue. This is a 'one guy is running the forklift into the ground' issue, and everyone knows it (particularly since he's been popping up in every forklift thread to defend it). While the effort to keep him out of the conversation is admirable, changing the forklift won't do a damn thing, because he would just shift to abusing the next best vehicle (and has said as much). 

If this is all about one guy, just say it's about one guy, so that the actual root of the problem can be addressed.
Quote:...because he would just shift to abusing the next best vehicle (and has said as much).

Thing is, there really isn't any other next "best" (and by best here, we mean abusable) vehicle like the Forklift that naturally spawn (so not counting go-karts here).

I mean, I understand your perspective.. but if Mr X is being shit with Y, and we remove Mr X, you're still left with Y. It's only a matter of time before some Mr Z comes along and discovers Y.

Thing is, powergaming, although loathed, isn't a bannable offense on the non-RP server, so this is a non-runner, and at most would be akin to applying a band-aid to a gunshot wound.

My wording is fairly hyperbole, this doesn't strike me as that huge an issue. Really just have a projectile punt the player out would effectively resolve this.
i think its a good idea to make projectiles knock people out of forklifts