Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tweak Chill Pills To Be Less Good But Still Good
Howdy.

Right now, chill pills are insanely good. Cryoxadone heals 10 oxy, 3 tox, 12 brute, and 12 burn per 0.4u

a pill of 0.5u cryostylene and 4.5u cryoxadone can heal you for 135 Brute, 135 Burn, 112 Oxy, and 33 Tox. In other words, it has a Heal/Unit ratio of 92.5!

Compare this to Stypic Powder, which 5u applied topically will heal 8.3 Damage, or a Heal/Unit ratio of 1.66.

Personally, I actually think that this level of power is fine for the cryotubes; you don't want to have to constantly be filling those, and doctors should be rewarded for transporting patients back to homebase.

However, the fact that you can easily take this power with you anywhere and basically delete someone's damage with a 5u pill sortof renders other medbay strategies a little obsolete. There's a reason why you see them basically every round.

Suggested changes:
  • Cryostylene still ice-cubes you instantly
  • Ice cubes now have health proportional to the amount of cryostylene used
  • Ice cubes cool you down over time instead of instantly
  • Ice cubes take damage when they cool you down, and at 0 health break themselves
  • Cryoxadone heats up your body temperature as it works; slower than cryotubes can chill you but enough to be noticeable
This way, cryoxadone remains very effective in the cryotubes while requiring a bit more thought to be as effective in pill form.
+1 from me.
activated-Cryox pills heal for way too much for far too little effort compared to more specialized healing tools
as someone who makes religious use of chill pills, currently they're far too much reward for far too little effort and overshadow literally every single other medical chem bar pentetic acid, perfluorodecalin and mannitol. i'd love this just so i have a reason to use other medchems instead of having chill pills be the cure-all, and i would also very much appreciate making cryotubes more important, as i think they're criminally underused at the moment
I have seen the cryo tubes used around 2-3 times ever and this is the main reason why. As Liz has said it also makes all healing chemicals bar three completely obsolete.
Ever since I saw people starting to do that ice cube healing stuff I was waiting for people to want it nerfed. Surprised it took so long. One pill can heal you from crit to full health basically.
As much as I love my chill pills/chill pitcher, I think this is probably a fair assessment. On top of healing you very quickly, the ice cube can also protect you from stuff until you're back in the green. The nuclear option, of course, is to have the two react to make something else, but I feel like that might be a bit much.

e: I actually really like UM's suggestion, and the heating from Cryoxidone working would also get people back up to normal body temp faster after leaving the cryo tube, which might make people a little less leery to get in them in the first place.
I frequently use cryo pills. They are ridiculous.
You can also use chill pills to speed up cloning by using one on the cloning tube during the process.
The person being cloned will pop out in seconds.

Reducing specifically the speed at which your healed when using cryox outside of the cryo tube would be a welcome nerf.
100% agree.

It's frustrating as an MD to see frontline MD's constantly rely on this panacea. Spice it up ffs, be more hands on, try some concoctions of your own accord... But nope, someone in deep crit can be effectively saved from deaths door by a single pill, so why would they bother? It's tricordizine all over again.

This change from my reading would mean that if you want to use chill pills it would be fairly resource intensive (requiring a lot more Cryoxadone/Cryostylene to be effective), while also slowing down the rate of heal, meaning that if someone is cubed in deep crit, you may have actually gave them a death sentence as they're no longer interactable due to the cube of ice.

That would be a welcome nerf.
i like the idea of icecubes as a sort of win/lose thing for the patient - they get fully healed, but theyre cold as hell and immobile while being healed

i like the suggested changes, like, making the ice cube duration scale with how much cryoxadone is used, and maybe also having it take time to get down to a cool temperature
+1, Ive even seen them in use in combat and the immobilization, in a battlefield, was nothing compared to the healing recieved.  And it seems like everyone has 'em.
Since there doesn't seem to be any objections, I'm gonna go ahead and add this to my coding backlog. shout at me if you really hate this for some reason
If anything, the cube is part of the /benefit/. You can deploy a safety box anywhere at any time, one that protects from bullets, blobs, bops, and the blinky blackness of space. You can turn on the cold if you anticipate your opponent is gonna play with chems or explosives and just ignore them. You can't be grabbed, and most attacks that require interpersonal intimacy are ineffective. And you can queue up movement for when you get free, and sorta almost choose when the cube breaks.

I mean you're slow afterwards, but if you have enough antistun drugs in you, you're more or less unrobustable. And if things start to go bad? Back in the cube! Its like a locker in your pocket!
I've always disliked how overused those cryo pills were.

It's fun as medical staff to gear up with an abundance of various pills and tools to be prepared for most scenarios. It's significantly less fun when another doctor just brings a 1-for-all pill bottle and treats people before I can even scan what's wrong with them.
I think that this is good. Looks like an easy add too.