Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Replace the area flash with a similar special attack for flashes
The area flash is really unsatisfying to use and fight against and very very strong currently, even after being nerfed. My primary issues with it:

- It has no visual cue from the flash-er so it's really hard to tell what's even happening for most players and what the source is

- It doesn't slow the user down or take particularly careful positioning to pull off, most chases I've done as sec with it have basically been "sprint alongside the dude I'm flashing and spam area flash until they go down", which I think isn't as skill intensive or fun as it was before you could area flash a guy down

- I honestly think it's the strongest thing sec has in their kit by far if the target doesn't have sunglasses, you don't have to aim properly like a taser and there's no risk of having it disarmed back on you. Taking people down is really trivial with a flash, even if it burns out you can just pull out another flash (since they're very common items for sec)

My solution to this issue: Replace the current area flash with a special attack that does a cone of light in a direction. Could have a range of like one tile directly in front of you and three tiles two tiles away. This would make it easy to attach a visual cue so it's more clear what's happening, require more intense and fun positioning and make it far less strong than it is, which would encourage more use of the security toolkit which I think would lead to more interesting gameplay. The currently implemented special attacks are all pretty good, I think this change would be welcome and fit with the other changes that add more visual clarity/balanced mechanics to the game.
Yeah, definitely agree with this, area flash takes out a lot of the effort involved in playing sec and is too strong rn imo. A cone-shaped special attack would be cool.
How would the special attack work mechanically? Would it be the same as clicking in-hand or would you do the special attack where you click at a ~1 tile distance?
I mean yeah. When this area flash was added I figured everyone was cool with it being OP.
Area flash makes it fighting antags without sunglasses trivial, and forces antags to pick up and wear sunglasses making IDing decent antags even easier. What is the current aoe on the area flash anyway? It seems to be a 4x4. At the very least it should be toned down to a 3x3 so you still have to be adjacent to them.
(11-06-2019, 09:04 AM)moistgrandmas42 Wrote: Area flash makes it fighting antags without sunglasses trivial, and forces antags to pick up and wear sunglasses making IDing decent antags even easier. What is the current aoe on the area flash anyway? It seems to be a 4x4. At the very least it should be toned down to a 3x3 so you still have to be adjacent to them.

If it's a 4x4, where's the center? do you mean 5x5 or do I gravely misunderstand how the area flash works?
Err yeah, sorry 5x5. I'm a dingus who was posting early in the morning.
flabo's suggestion is good : need sprites