Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
have the blob become progressively more resistant to lasers
that's it that's the thread. every time the blob gets hit with a laser lasers should do slightly less damage until it's only slightly more effective than a welder.
I have to say a hard no to this one, blob has the reflectors for a reason and they not only completely negate all damage from lasers but equally fire the damned thing back. That and lasers and phasers make for good progress making in the early stages of a blob before it grows reflectors and increased health so that phasers take 2 shots per. Not to mention that even the reinforced blob tiles have increased health and take 2-3 phaser shots as a standard.
I'd honestly say the reverse should happen. Blob should start out with an innate laser resistance so when it's a baby blob that way a hos/cap can't just mag swap to dumpster it. Either that or blob needs reflective membrane innately.
(10-31-2019, 12:16 PM)moistgrandmas42 Wrote: I'd honestly say the reverse should happen. Blob should start out with an innate laser resistance so when it's a baby blob that way a hos/cap can't just mag swap to dumpster it. Either that or blob needs reflective membrane innately.

I agree with this sort of thing. Blob needs more early buffs that level off over time and as the blob gets bigger. I'd like to remove the fire-resist upgrade. Since it's one that you essentially need to buy. I'd rather blobs have to spend points for things that differentiate them, not force every blob to buy the same upgrades because they're required.
A lot of the blob abilities that you buy for evo points should probably just be folded into roundstart blob, whether as a method of buffing early game blob (fire/poison resist, reflective membranes, bridge, slime launchers) or for thematic reasons (devour item having to be unlocked is kind of silly).

As a bonus innate fire resist and devour item pretty much kills one of the major bullshit anti-blob strategies that needs to go - those goddamn lit candles.
I don't see the point of this. This doesn't seem to balance the blob so much as make it arbitrarily easier. Not to mention that this would only further incentivize the crew to wreck the station with explosives and fires and the like.

Now, an adaptive resistance upgrade might be cool-Hitting the blob repeatedly with lasers makes it more resistant to lasers, so you have to switch to flamethrowers, until it adapts to that, forcing you back to lasers, etc. Adaptation would take time, encouraging crew-members to rush the blob. It'd be fairly expensive, naturally. At least 5 biopoints.
(10-31-2019, 12:46 PM)kyle2143 Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 12:16 PM)moistgrandmas42 Wrote: I'd honestly say the reverse should happen. Blob should start out with an innate laser resistance so when it's a baby blob that way a hos/cap can't just mag swap to dumpster it. Either that or blob needs reflective membrane innately.

I agree with this sort of thing. Blob needs more early buffs that level off over time and as the blob gets bigger. I'd like to remove the fire-resist upgrade. Since it's one that you essentially need to buy. I'd rather blobs have to spend points for things that differentiate them, not force every blob to buy the same upgrades because they're required.

I hear this kind of sentiment a lot across different systems in different games. Integrating an obvious upgrade may have it's uses, like buffing a blob at round start. But in terms of diversifying strategy there is no guarantee that removing fire resistant membrane as an option will make a big difference.

As it is after experiencing several blob rounds this month I am not sure they need more early game buffs. Blob players have become more cooperative, which is extremely effective, and it feels like it's no longer the case that a single crew member can halt a blob's progress by themselves. And once blobs reach a certain point in the late game you are basically required to have a telesci nerd and bombs to do any kind of lasting damage. Then again, maybe if the crew gets better about not getting trapped by the blobs a buff could be warranted.