Poll: Should secrets be less secret? If so, in what way?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No! Secrets should be secret!
19.44%
7 19.44%
Keep things secret until X time after discovery, then publicize
13.89%
5 13.89%
Keep things semi-secret, with a 'spoiler tagging' system
61.11%
22 61.11%
Publicize everything! No gods no masters!
5.56%
2 5.56%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Declassifying older secrets
I disagree that any of those secret chems you listed, Drago, are so destructive that they need to stay secret for balancing reasons; none of those are any more powerful than non secret things you can do in similar time or faster.

For fuck's sake, TTVs aren't even a hard secret anymore (not published, but I've never seen anyone struggle to find someone to teach them how they're made) and you can instantly blow away the entire shuttle with one. how can initropidil compare when you can make 7 TTVs in as many minutes?

If it leads to a rise in grief, ban the people who grief. We have admins for a reason.

I think there are decent arguments to be made for secret chems. I don't think balance is one of them because, as I said earlier, Botany Unleashed proved that the community has a tendency to overestimate the actual power of things

To add, I also think that the dynamic of how secrets are developed would radically shift in response to this change. I think we'd end up getting more secret content developed, and to mbc's point on the discord, I agree that it'd likely end up feeling a lot more like a community effort to discover the secrets as a group, allowing for some pretty fun events and content to be built around that expectation.
It feels like a lot of the time secret chems get talked up to be way more then they actually are. I think part of the problem is in them being secret people don't see them often at all. I don't think I can recall a time recently or other that I've actually seen weaponized Raj, and even though I've seen some of the others you listed it's very few times and usually by the same person/people. Once they become more common and people understand them better the mysticism behind it all will fall away.

I guess my point is once its no longer super secret and can openly be discussed I don't think grief will rise, I've said it before but a lot of the nastier ones take a good bit of work and time. I would compare it to black powder. Not so secret but pretty damn destructive and deadly. But due to it being more involved in making and taking some time you hardly ever seen it used for grief and see it more for end of round party favors or used by actual antags.

I'm not saying lets post all the secrets on the wiki with only a spoiler tag between Greg Griefy and QGP. But progressively we should be moving towards making it less and less unknown how these chems work and how they come about being made, and I think adding the 2016 chems that are unchanged but "secret" on is a great start.