Daire's HoS Application
Usual character name: Julius Chauvin
BYOND username: Daire
Recommended by (if applicable): OMJ, AleksAdamska
Goon servers you play: I mainly play on Goon 2 and I have played on Goon 1 but I don’t think it’s really for me.

Reason for application: 
I’ve been playing security a lot recently and I’ve been really enjoying the interactions that I've had with the crew/security as well as getting a push to apply from a couple of people I thought that I might as well give the HoS application a shot

Security experience (300 word minimum): 
I first started playing at around late 2011 though I don’t think I can say that I have consistently played security except for within the past two or three years (And even then I've been an on and off again player) but I do feel as though I have a large amount of experience with security
When I'm playing as a security role I like to take into account how i’d like to be treated and having a decent perspective of all the different roles the station has to offer helps me achieve that and I find that I generally treat people fairly when i’m arresting and sentencing them.
When dealing with traitors or spies I find that i’m normally pretty lenient on punishments especially if it’s early in the shift and they haven’t caused any problems that couldn’t be fixed because I know having them around in the shift can make the shift less boring for the crew and security and having them locked away for a large amount of the shift isn’t really fun for anyone involved.
If I was fighting against a blob I tend to try and organise security/crew as much as possible with a few of us using welders/flamethrowers and the others using stun batons/blunt objects so that we can efficiently take down the blob without spreading too far or causing too much damage and I find that if not enough organisation has been done it’ll lead to more deaths from people shooting each other with flamethrowers/being absorbed by the blob.
 I’ve found that a lot of the skills that I've developed while playing as a crew member is just as important as the skills that you learn while playing as security for example, even the most basic of knowledge that I've learned while playing as a doctor has allowed me to be a better security guard and while the more advanced medical knowledge won’t be used as much it still has saved not only my life multiple times but the lives of other spacemen. 

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players? 
  • It’s always really important to communicate with the people you’re arresting as soon as you can, people generally appreciate it and they’ll be more cooperative and pleasant. Try to avoid running with a weapon out since it’s really easy to either get disarmed or slip and have your taser/baton stolen from you.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players? 
  • I feel as though it would be great for security to have Space Law books be more available, this would mainly be for newer security players that aren’t too sure what a sentence they should give to someone and they’ve no else on security to check with.
  • Describe any differences in your play style when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer. 
  • Generally when I play as a part of a team i’m more lenient and less defensive in my play style, i’d typically do more patrols around areas like maintenance because I feel comfortable as normally the other officers will have my back when a situation goes bad and I find that there’s a lot more communication with the crew as well. As a solo officer I tend to stick to areas with larger groups of people to make sure those areas are secure, while i’ll still patrol risky areas such as maint I tend to lower it’s priority to focus more on the crew, overall I tend to stick to a safer style of play to make up for the fact that I’m not working within a team. 
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): I’m not too sure on how many bans that I have because they’d all be from the first few years of me playing the game when I first started playing SS13 which was around 2011. A ban that I feel like I should mention is also my most recent ban(I think it happened around 3-4 + years ago?) was a job ban for heads of staff as well as security and from what I can remember I had gotten banned for overreacting and buckle cuffing a player in security, I ended up forgetting about the player and they were stuck buckle cuffed to the chair until an admin helped them up but my memory on the situation isn’t the best so what I've said might be slightly skewed. I feel confident I wouldn’t let the same mistakes happen again and I was able to use the job ban as a learning experience.  
Julius is definitely a nerd I've seen around for the last year or so and while the first few times I saw them their play was a little rough but they have definitely smoothed out those bumps since then and are a very coordinated and robust individual. Having seen them play Security from an inside and outside view, they have a very solid grasp of how to handle situations and communicate effectively with other people. I feel confident they would make a good HoS.

+1 from me
Very good sec player in my experiences with them, would be a good HoS.
yeah definitely
Absolutely, there's a reason I recommended them. Consistently one of the most fun players in any given round, and always a level-headed and considerate secoff, toss a hat on this nerd already.
Julius is a great sec off and definitely has what it takes to be a good HOS. Give them a beret!
Yeah, absolutely yes. Julius is a solid nerd and good Secoff
I haven't had too many experiences with Chauvin to be honest. I knew they were a competent sec officer in terms of robustness, but other than that I was completely unsure about them. However, as of late, I've seen that they have a good attitude, and generally try to use their words and interact with antags before going toe-to-toe with them. I think they'd make a good HoS
Never had a problem with them and they seem consistent with good communication and appropriate responses to antags. Would make a fine HoS. +1
You forgot to add me to your list of recommendations! Awful.

Needless to say, I wouldn't be saying that if I did not, in fact, believe he should get a +1 from me. He's been a reliably communicative security officer and fair and careful in his judgements, both extremely important and desirable HoS qualities.
I can't vote because I have an application up currently, but I'd like to ask you to clarify an incident I had with you as security a couple of weeks ago, because it might impact how other people vote. While the actions you took were definitely ok rules-wise, they aren't something I think anyone would like to see anywhere near a HoS.

I was a spy thief clown, and had obtained an amplified vuvuzela. A botanist stole the barman's shotgun and started to fire at me. I shot him back with the vuvuzela and went off on my merry way. As the detective you then proceeded to arrest, strip and space me immediately after with the quote "You know what isn't justice?". This was 10 minutes into the round, and I had committed no other crimes. Since you were the detective and I know you to generally be fair I assume that you were an antagonist too, but I wasn't able to stick around until the end to check.

Can you confirm that you were an antagonist? I can't vote regardless and don't intend to try, but I'd like confirmation if at all possible.

Sorry if this breaks the guidelines but I couldn't keep quiet about that in good conscience.
(11-01-2019, 02:30 PM)Caecilius Wrote: I can't vote because I have an application up currently, but I'd like to ask you to clarify an incident I had with you as security a couple of weeks ago, because it might impact how other people vote. While the actions you took were definitely ok rules-wise, they aren't something I think anyone would like to see anywhere near a HoS.

I was a spy thief clown, and had obtained an amplified vuvuzela. A botanist stole the barman's shotgun and started to fire at me. I shot him back with the vuvuzela and went off on my merry way. As the detective you then proceeded to arrest, strip and space me immediately after with the quote "You know what isn't justice?". This was 10 minutes into the round, and I had committed no other crimes. Since you were the detective and I know you to generally be fair I assume that you were an antagonist too, but I wasn't able to stick around until the end to check.

Can you confirm that you were an antagonist? I can't vote regardless and don't intend to try, but I'd like confirmation if at all possible.

Sorry if this breaks the guidelines but I couldn't keep quiet about that in good conscience.

Yeah I can remember the round that you're referring, I can confirm that I was also an antagonist during that round, sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way and hopefully I can reassure you that I wouldn't act in that way as a non-antagonist because it is distasteful.
I have always had a good experience with Julius as security. They are methodical and patient. In fact, I would say Julius also seems to understand comedic timing and when it would be funny to die as Security even though it wouldn't be beneficial to them, but would add to the entertainment value.

My only criticism with Julius is that they get slightly too focused sometimes on one thing and has trouble multitasking when it comes to crime! But that is not to detract from Julius as an overall very patient, fun, and engaging player willing to consider what would be unfun for others before acting in a strictly security capacity.

Please consider this my support for Julius' application.
Julius is a fun and good sec player and they'd make a good HoS!
From the perspective of a pleb sec officer, Julius is an amazing player to work alongside with. He's always fun, responsible and very intelligent when it comes to approaching all kinds of scenarios, which I think is a really good balance to have as a player. I always look forward to the shift if we're running late-night sec together, his teamwork is phenomenal and I think the beret would absolutely suit him.