Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Timed switch for the science teleporter
We've all been there - you're going on a teleporter adventure. You're all set to go, teammates (optional) have been sent through the tele - however, there's no-one around to send you off! 

You can ask the AI or a passerby if you're lucky, but I know I hate bothering the AI every time I need to go through. You can always toggle a portal, but that thing drains energy like nobody's business and it's incredibly inefficient. Especially if you have to come back for whatever reason, in which case you'll come back to a powered down telescience room and have to go through all the business of replacing the power cell.

So yeah - I think a timed switch would be a reasonable addition to the telescience console, primarily because it would make life easier for those solo, low-pop adventure rounds when there's not really anyone around to help out with it. It could just be set for five seconds so you've got enough time to hit it and run to the platform, without having to resort to opening a portal.
Another option is make a PDA file for scientists, where you can remotely control the teleporter (but just send/recieve, not setting coordinates)
I've never had any trouble hitting the switch and running to the pad on any map but Oshan. If you have friends, they can pull you over in the portasci. seems like a non issue
I think this would be a cool idea, I know it's not always the biggest problem, but on some maps like I believe Clarion, in order to get onto the pad in time you have to break the window between the pad and computer.
Admittedly, I don't think this is a mega issue - but I'm typically playing with slight lag which can make it more difficult to hop on the platform quickly, especially on maps where the platform isn't that close to the console. It'd just be a nice little quality of life change in my opinion.
Can only bring good really.
This would remove jank from telesci. While it's not hard to do, this would be a pretty nice addition. I think a program to activate the teleport pad in the scientist pda would be better since it would provide an alternative to the portasci, which is an extremely powerful program.