Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Opinions on random gen maps
I just thought of an idea where a group of coders and mappers work together to make a random gen map like departments are still semi organized and stuff but i just want to see yalls opinion on it.

Ive put this in the wrong thread

Ive also copy pasted the weong thread part. Noice
Admittedly, I've never done any sort of mapping work so I could be wrong, but it sounds unfeasible to me.

The maps as they are implemented are meticulously put together, and everything has a place. If you randomised it, it would become borderline impossible to work the station - it'd also make the traitor's jobs a lot harder, as they'd likely lose access to tools they might use to get around or enact mischief. In a similar vein, it'd make security and medical jobs much tougher to manage - what happens when someone's calling for help in Engineering but there's no way to know where it is in a given round?
Random map generation would likely just end up screwing people over and I don't think SS13 is the kind of game which would really benefit in any way from it. Despite the maps always remaining constant, no two rounds are ever the same so I don't think it's even necessary in that sense of shaking things up.
Random generation gets old extremely, extremely fast when it comes to maps or environments. Especially once you see the patterns.

Hand-crafted, high quality, and detailed environs will always be better.

The only way I could see something similar working is a random selection of a few pre-determined layouts for a given department. IE say there's 5 different possible shapes/layouts for research on Cog1 so it may vary in layout from where it's connected. I don't think there's much to gain there compared to the effort putting it in and any other overhead.