Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency Limb Removal
So the new limb removal system is awesome and I love it, I just have one issue with it. That issue is that there are currently only 3 situations in which a limb is removed.
1) The obvious, an explosion.
2) The most common, I wanted robot limbs.
3) The collector, ghetto limb theft.

Now this is all well and good but it leaves me wondering what the medical team are really good for. So I had an idea, ailments that require limb removal to fix. Nothing really severe, just ailments that drain your health reasonably slowly but can only be cured by removing the specified limb. Left untreated for too long, the only solution may be ghetto table surgery to save the persons life.

Some ideas I had for these ailments are as follows:

Emergency limb removal ailments
Limb Rot - Through one reason or another your limb has begun to rot and will soon spread to the rest of your body unless removed. Slow effect time, minimal caution.
Infection - All those untreated wounds have come back to bite you as now one of them is infected. The infection will spread throughout your body and kill you soon if you don't cut it off now. Medium effect time, reasonable caution.
Diabetes - All those glasses of pure sugar you've been drinking at the bar have had a nasty side effect. Best get the problem limb removed before it's too late. Slow effect time, minimal caution.
Possessed Limb Syndrome -Through reasons unknown your limb has turned against you. Cut it off quickly before it cuts you off for good. Fast effect time, high caution.

Regualr limb removal ailments
Limp Limb - Your limbs are old and don't respond as well as they used to. Actions are delayed and you sometimes find your limb freezing for a moment. Best get it replaced for convenience.
Loose Grip/Backwards Feet - So you find yourself constantly dropping things/tripping over. That'll be your limbs playing up. Get a new set from medbay whenever you get time.
Petrified Arms - Your arms just won't move any more, such a shame. Good thing the medical staff can get them cut off and replaced nice and quickly for you.

These are just a few of the ideas I thought up for possible limb removing based ailments, add any others you think would be good, the more the better after all. Of course I haven't really gone into what would cause most of these ailments as I haven't really thought much about it. Something else to consider I suppose.
Diabetes should probably just lead to limb rot (or gangrene) rather than being it's own ailment. Infection should be treatable with spaceacillin if it is not too advanced, although advanced infection should probably lead to gangrene as well for a reason for amputation.

How will these ailments occur though? Infection presumably would occur from untreated bleeding wounds to limbs (which would require further expansion of the medical system), but then the majority of brute damage in SS13 is blunt rather than slashing/piercing, and those than do logically cause open wounds tend to remove limbs outright.
What if sever poisoning lead to tissue necrosis?

Got jabbed with sulfuric acid/myotoxin? Uh oh! Your arm is wasting away! Cut that shit off and get a shiny new robo arm.
david2222121 Wrote:What if sever poisoning lead to tissue necrosis?

Got jabbed with sulfuric acid/myotoxin? Uh oh! Your arm is wasting away! Cut that shit off and get a shiny new robo arm.

That is a good idea, although I don't think injections could currently be targeted. I guess it would just be a random thing which limb(s) get affected, if any; with the chance increasing with dose.

If a location-specific wound system is implemented (seems like a lot of hassle though?), I would like to see traumatic amputation be considerably less frequent so you actually get situations where a limb is damaged but could still be saved if treated in time, before surgical amputation is needed.
One way for limbs to go bad could be to attach a limb that has been detached for too long.
Add an icebox in medbay to keep them fresh.
The morgue also has an icebox of "spare" parts.

Please let us graft the old kidney into someone, tia.
chef should be able to use a limb and ome dough to make "Arm-our" hot dogs.
Yes, I could integrate at least some of this into pathology, I'll see about it when the core system is done.
this sounds pretty cool and makes doctors even more useful
Finally, more reasons for surgery.