Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NSS Artemis Needs Your Help!
(05-31-2020, 07:11 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Right now we are mostly just looking to produce a ton of prefabs; interesting places to go with interesting loot or things to look at. Ideas, maps, sprites for maps, etc.

we have some planet sprites in the sprites thread. It would be awesome if we could get like 4 or 5 prefabs per planet that already exists. check them out!

Is a prefab just a small constraint map or is there something specific which has to be done while creating a prefab? I think I got a few ideas that come to mind...I would just need to know what has to be in a prefab.
Perhaps having a Discord channel for this project would be best. Additionally, having examples of existing sprites, maps, and objects, either in the codebase or in Discord, would be extremely helpful in creating a consistent art style and layout.
I'd also like to ask:

Is there support for procedurally generated environments, such as planet surfaces and space stations?
We will not be doing anything procedurally at launch, with the sole exception of mining stuff
Is the Artemis project still going on? If so, I can make some prefabs!
Hey guys.

Wanted to give a bit of explanation as to where this went.

Essentially, Artemis, behind the scenes, pivoted several times until it eventually became a collab project between me and another developer left shortly afterward.

Here's where the project ended up. These videos are as of january and february of 2020, respectively.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/6...17-1-1.mp4

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/6...-50-43.mp4

(That beautiful HUD is the work of Flaborized. Give her a shout!)

If there's any desire to continue the project, let me know. I am debating opening up the project, because I no longer wish to do so myself.
I personally would REALLY love to help on a project like this. I will be honest that I initially ignored this thread due to me believing that there was a high bar for entry in the mapping projects and was incredibly intimidated by the high quality of the project. I do not know when I will be free to help contribute to this but I am very excited by this prospect.
Opening it up would be pretty neat - I haven't really been engaged with the project because I have no sense of how Artemis gameplay would work and no real way to take it for a spin. One thing I would heavily suggest, though, is making something of a "design board" for the intent behind the feature, with these kinds of things:
  • What's the concept for a rough gameplay loop on an Artemis round?
  • What's already done (be it fully or partially)?
  • Which planned or proposed features have yet to be coded or aren't complete enough to play around with?
  • Is there anyone planning to do said features, and if so, when did they last chime in on the topic?
I'm not sure how such a thing would work, but it'd make community organization around Artemis a lot more able to self-organized instead of halting because somebody stopped working on a part of the project and nobody's sure if they should take it over or not (or even what that part of the project is).
I would also be pretty interested in working on prefabs and interesting items to collect during adventures.
I'd love to work on it to, I would need someone to PR in my prefabs though cause Git hates me.
Count me in. Can't code, but I could mostly sprite assets. I can map, but I don't have any unique and cool great ideas to work off of at this time.
I don't know how I should help but I can help, looks like a cool idea
Also count me in, I'm not the best spriter but I absolutely love mapping small ships
(05-27-2021, 10:12 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Hey guys.

Wanted to give a bit of explanation as to where this went.

Essentially, Artemis, behind the scenes, pivoted several times until it eventually became a collab project between me and another developer left shortly afterward.

Here's where the project ended up. These videos are as of january and february of 2020, respectively.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/6...17-1-1.mp4

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/6...-50-43.mp4

(That beautiful HUD is the work of Flaborized. Give her a shout!)

If there's any desire to continue the project, let me know. I am debating opening up the project, because I no longer wish to do so myself.

This looks really nice, I think it would be cool if this would continue being worked on. I'm not that great at doing things though so I can't say I'd have too much to contribute besides saying I think it should be continued.
ill help, i can map, but not well and all of my mediocre ideas require coding, which i cant do, and i can sprite but not well, guess ill start by making some location icon sprite things for the exising azones