Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Major Radiation chems behave weirdly
Testing this is easy.

Give yourself a 100 u radium or unstable mutagen pill and keep yourself alive via toxic resistance or cryo pills. You can also test on a monkey though you can't watch the duration counter that way. The wiki says radium is capped in some fashion but says nothing about unstable mutagen, yet both behave the same way. I didn't have time to test glowing slurry and I couldn't test Polonium for obvious reasons.

Watch as your rad duration climbs. Scan yourself or your monkey test subject with a health analyzer and notice that you never get above level 1 radiation poisoning. Now for the fun part. Feed yourself or the monkey a small Potassium Iodide pill. Suddenly your radiation poisoning will jump and you'll start mutating and taking lots tox damage, I instantly jumped from level 1 to 5 both on the self test with radium and the unstable mutagen test on a monkey.

Somewhere in here there's behavior that's unintended and it makes radiation chems more or less dangerous than they should be. From the wiki at least it seems like radium shouldn't be jumping in poisoning level but unstable mutagen should be escalating without adding KI
I can confirm this, and it's nasty. I had three patients as a doctor who had unstable mutagen in their system: all of them were at a very manageable level 1 poisoning level, but when I injected one with pentetic acid it went to level 5 and they immediately started rapidly mutating and taking so much tox damage I couldn't out-heal it. The other two took potassium iodide before I could intervene and the same happened - only one survived.

It seems that radiation-causing chems never cause poisoning above level 1, but introducing radiation-reducing chems breaks that and boosts them way up very rapidly.
This is definitely a bug. Something weird is happening behind the scenes with radiation that isn't making sense to me. But I've at least been able to make it so applying one of the 3 anti-rad medications, potassium iodide, petanic acid, and smelling salts, don't bug out and send you to level 5 rad poisoning.
Kinda sad for the radiation hellmix I was working on but that's better than people dying because they take radiation meds.