Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Give toxins a legitimate use
Currently toxins serves no purpose other than a) disappearifying the station as an antagonist or b) practicing making larger bombs for doing a) more efficiently. How about we add a feature to the VR tester that lets you "sell" a mix, teleporting the two tanks away and giving money to the research budget and science department crew member bank accounts based on explosion size?
I agree that toxins should have an actual use beyond antag bombs but I dunno if just making money from bomb explosion size is the right way to go, seems kinda shallow to me. I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head, but there's gotta be some other use that could be cool.
The bombs of Toxins can help against blobs and definitely Singulos, but the first is extremely prone to cross-fire and is turbo-nerdery, and the second doesn't occur much any more considering the addition of the singulo buster and move away from singulo reactors. Giving it an actual is kind of hard with how things work in the coding aspect of bombs and atmospherics. If there is a good use for it though I'd be up for it, and it would make being an antag using toxins less overtly obvious.
I've said before, it would be real neat to use toxins as a method of making rocket fuel.

Of course, then we'd need rocket science, but I think it could mesh well with other things like telescience or mining
The only non-antag use I see in toxins is practicing hellburns.
The obvious use for Toxins is Mining, but that would necessitate an overhaul of Mining.

(10-19-2019, 05:19 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I've said before, it would be real neat to use toxins as a method of making rocket fuel.

Of course, then we'd need rocket science, but I think it could mesh well with other things like telescience or mining

This would be neat; maybe you could use it as fuel for space pods. The current default engine could be an upgrade.

On a semi-related note, it occurs to me that with the introduction of Manta, maybe there's an angle involving torpedoes...
(10-19-2019, 10:08 PM)Urlance Woolsbane Wrote: The obvious use for Toxins is Mining, but that would necessitate an overhaul of Mining.

I can't say that I've ever seen anyone use Toxins bombs for mining or that it would be worth it considering the time, effort, and access would take a miner to make a TTV and use it compared to just focusing the mats for industrial gear.

(10-19-2019, 10:08 PM)Urlance Woolsbane Wrote:On a semi-related note, it occurs to me that with the introduction of Manta, maybe there's an angle involving torpedoes...

As for this, Manta, sadly, does not actually have a Toxins lab due to ocean physics, as it is a problem on Oshan, though they could add it for the simple and only sake of TTVs that take more time and effort.
Expand the use of the pressure crystals available in Vendomats. These new pressure crystals would "store" kinetic energy from TTV explosions; TTVs impart a numerical value on pressure crystals correlating to their power. These crystals can then be sold in QM for a price that scales with that value. Alternatively, the crystals can be inserted into a new Engineering object that converts that energy and adds that power to the grid.

The idea of using Toxins to earn money for the station is one I've always found appealing, but selling TTVs feels out of character for Nanotrasen, at least in my opinion. I think the pressure crystals would be an interesting way to reconcile this since it's twist on the PTL concept (i.e. selling power, but in a physical form).
Personally I would like to see toxins used for seeing who can get the hottest temps and then getting money from those temps. Kinda like testing rocket fuel but that is already kinda how the engine works so I dunno.
What if those pressure crystals could be used as an upgrade for various machinery around the station? You insert it into some special slot in a machine, and it could do stuff like speed it up, allow a wider range of function, buff what it does, etc. The more charged the crystal is with b o m b p o w e r, the stronger the upgrade effect.
Another idea based around using toxins as a kind of fuel production: Tie it to traders

Have traders visit the station as a means of refueling their ships. Quality and quantity of fuel attracts different traders