Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
puritans shouldn't be borgable
Title says it all. If we wanted to be revived we wouldn't have taken the trait.
If you didn't want to be revived, you'd go DNR, surely? The whole point of Puritan is that it's not a desirable trait; you take it so you can get ones that actually are.

That said, being Puritans being unborgable would be consistent, so I'd be fine with this change.
I agree with Urlance that if you didn't want to be revived you could set DNR at round start.

However, I like the idea of being able to borg puritans if you're paying attention. I think that puritans who don't want to be borged can just set DNR instead of shutting out the possibility of being borged for the puritans that are okay with it
Puritans serve the purpose of being a mistake you can make as a doctor while cloning. Currently, trying to clone a puritan means that you can no longer revive them any other way, and they're just gone.  If puritans couldn't be revived at all, then there'd be no point to checking to see if someone is a puritan before trying to clone them because you wouldn't be losing anything, because you wouldn't be able to borg them anyways even if you DID think to check if they were a puritan.

Setting DNR accomplishes this nicely, and there's ways other than borging that circumvent puritan, such as using SR or putting their brain in a monkey. I like the spot puritan is in right now, if it's decided that we need a turbo "you cannot come back from death ever" trait, I'd rather it be a separate exclusive trait instead of replacing puritan.
The only change I'd personally like to see to Puritan is the game explicitly blaming the person that took the trait for any failures to revive.

"The spirit of Janey McPubbsalot rejects being cloned! Oh no! They're not coming back from that."

Too many saltghosts getting mad about not getting reliably borged when Puritan. You picked the trait and borging is a nice thing the doctor is going to extra work to make sure you get for your dumb +2, not a right you are owed.

Otherwise I like it and, yeah, another trait that is no revival ever might be interesting but Puritan's fine IMO.
In that case, can a dnr option be added to one's profile? I thought Puritan did that.
Most Definitely no.

As a puritan player, i pick puritan on the belief that cloning isn't right. borging is fine, strange reagent is fine, bodyswapping is... why? why would you do that to clone a puritan? just borg them at this point. less effort. if anything, puritan should be tied to the mind.

Anyways, i like to roleplay as a character (roboticist) who has a firm belief that cloning is morally and ethically wrong. after all, they aren't the same person. you can't just make a carbon copy of someone from a scan 30 minutes ago, yet have them retain their memories the entire time. it just doesn't feel right. And so i take puritan based on a logical standing.

TL;DR: no, from an ethical viewpoint.
Agreed with Swagger.

The idea when I suggested this way way back was that you're a "puritan" - not in the sense you have x 1 life, but that your lineage is pure - no cloning.

Alternative methods of revival that retains your initial sense of self is still game. Puritan should not be a game ending scenario and Flab touches on this in that it's one of the few traits that doctors need to learn if they want to be an actual well rounded problem solving doctor.
(10-16-2019, 03:18 PM)SwaggerLEL Wrote: bodyswapping is... why? why would you do that to clone a puritan?

I suppose they believe their body is supposed to remain unique, and cloning their specific body makes them stop being special. Everything that doesn't involve cloning the body they showed up to work with means either giving them a new, unique body (borging, monkeymanning, etc.) or making their original body stop being dead.